cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay Proof of Delivery for Local Pick Up Option

For those who offer Local PickUp….ebay is rolling out a Proof of Delivery feature. When the buyer pays online, he gets a QR Code and a six digit number. When he picks up, he shows the code to the seller, who can scan it with his phone and that will then indicate delivered in the shipping area. Don’t want to get close enough to scan? The buyer is also given a six digit code number which he can provide to the seller, and that too will be accepted as proof of delivery.

This is being rolled out, so not everyone may have it today. Also, at this time, this won’t work if Local PickUp was not chosen by the buyer at time of purchase. (Example: Listing does not offer Local Pick Up. Buyer buys item, but then notices he lives in same town as seller, so asks for Local Pick Up. This won’t be available, although it sounds like they might try to add that ability down the line)

I don’t think there’s been a formal announcement yet, but this was discussed in today’s ebay Podcast. https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-88-Checking-In-With-Sellers-Sell...

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: New eBay Proof of Delivery for Local Pick Up Option

Oh, sorry, I was just informed by my wife and daughter that "IT BOINS IT BOINS", was my 3 year old daughters own phrase that she came up with (over 20 years ago) inspired from a scene in BATMAN 3 (RIDDLER & TWO FACE) when the cop would say "It's boiling acid!".
Message 61 of 101
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

For those who offer Local PickUp….ebay is rolling out a Proof of Delivery feature. When the buyer pays online, he gets a QR Code and a six digit number. When he picks up, he shows the code to the seller, who can scan it with his phone and that will then indicate delivered in the shipping area. Don’t want to get close enough to scan? The buyer is also given a six digit code number which he can provide to the seller, and that too will be accepted as proof of delivery.

This is being rolled out, so not everyone may have it today. Also, at this time, this won’t work if Local PickUp was not chosen by the buyer at time of purchase. (Example: Listing does not offer Local Pick Up. Buyer buys item, but then notices he lives in same town as seller, so asks for Local Pick Up. This won’t be available, although it sounds like they might try to add that ability down the line)

I don’t think there’s been a formal announcement yet, but this was discussed in today’s ebay Podcast. https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-88-Checking-In-With-Sellers-Sell...

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, I just wanted to comment and confirm that the ability for a seller to upload the buyer's 6-digit confirmation number or scan the QR code to confirm delivery for a local pickup item is coming. We planned to release that feature at the same time as the related emails to buyers, but unfortunately a gap has come come up between the two halves of this process being implemented, and this may have caused some confusion. For now, seller's may receive messages from their buyers about the confirmation number or the QR code, but they won't need to worry about uploading anything since the option has not been implemented quite yet. Sellers can keep any confirmation number they receive for their records and we'll work on rolling out the full experience as soon as possible!

Message 62 of 101
latest reply

Thanks Trinton. Yes, I imagine releasing only the buyer half has resulted in some confusion. Hope to see the seller half released soon.
Message 63 of 101
latest reply

this is very confusing and very poor timing on implementation on buyer end only
Message 64 of 101
latest reply

Simple solution, I do not offer local pickup on top of various shipping options.

Either it ships or it's local pickup, one or the other but never both.

Message 65 of 101
latest reply

I can't tell you how much of a door this opens up. I have no intentions of listing an 18th century pantry the size of a refrigerator on ebay and accept shipping. Another bad thing was for years, ebay would make a person accept paypal for local pick-up, even though paypal policy does not protect sellers for items which you can not have a proof of delivery. So it was a pretty big contradiction.... FOR YEARS! Now I can list a Hans Wegner couch and take paypal and let them pick it up. No one wants to ship large goods, simply because you are put into the hands of the shipper. If the shipper makes a mistake, and drops the goods and breaks a leg... let's just say, it's a big hassle. Now when a person picks up, they inspect the item and only hand over the ticket # when they agree to take it and keep it. I don't think returns should be allowed if a buyer picks up and follows through. This is where this whole idea will either make it or break it. No possibility of chargebacks, returns, remorse, damaged goods. You come, you inspect, you like, you give #, you leave with the goods. Both people are happy. Plus as a seller, I can offer the item at a considerably lower price because I don't have to fear about having to ship a large item. Packing supplies, etc etc....As a seller, I would be happy to pay a fee knowing that if the buyer is happy at pick-up, and takes the item, it's a done deal. Not to seem cynical but... in 20 years selling on ebay I have seen a few things. At least several times I wondered if an item was damaged intentionally, just so to file a claim and get a free return label as opposed to asking to return an item based on remorse. Kinda a whole new ballgame folks.
Message 66 of 101
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@funnymaniac wrote:
I can't tell you how much of a door this opens up. I have no intentions of listing an 18th century pantry the size of a refrigerator on ebay and accept shipping. Another bad thing was for years, ebay would make a person accept paypal for local pick-up, even though paypal policy does not protect sellers for items which you can not have a proof of delivery. So it was a pretty big contradiction.... FOR YEARS! Now I can list a Hans Wegner couch and take paypal and let them pick it up. No one wants to ship large goods, simply because you are put into the hands of the shipper. If the shipper makes a mistake, and drops the goods and breaks a leg... let's just say, it's a big hassle. Now when a person picks up, they inspect the item and only hand over the ticket # when they agree to take it and keep it. I don't think returns should be allowed if a buyer picks up and follows through. This is where this whole idea will either make it or break it. No possibility of chargebacks, returns, remorse, damaged goods. You come, you inspect, you like, you give #, you leave with the goods. Both people are happy. Plus as a seller, I can offer the item at a considerably lower price because I don't have to fear about having to ship a large item. Packing supplies, etc etc....As a seller, I would be happy to pay a fee knowing that if the buyer is happy at pick-up, and takes the item, it's a done deal. Not to seem cynical but... in 20 years selling on ebay I have seen a few things. At least several times I wondered if an item was damaged intentionally, just so to file a claim and get a free return label as opposed to asking to return an item based on remorse. Kinda a whole new ballgame folks.

Hi @funnymaniac, I'm not sure what you are referencing when you mentioned that this opens up a door? eBay has offered protection for local pickup items for quite some time (at least 7 years) and the addition of a QR code or the numeric code to confirm delivery is simply an added form of protection for sellers to confirm delivery. Obviously there won't be any tracking information, and in the past a seller would need to have received some form of documentation from the buyer confirming the item was picked up to protect themselves against a chargeback. Now, they will have confirmation directly through the site. 

I also want to add some clarification that PayPal has not covered local pickup items through their protection program. This does not mean a seller would not be protected without proof of delivery, but instead means that there would be no option to open a case on PayPal for an item picked up locally. They simply would not investigate any concerns with delivery at all, so there has been no risk of loss through PayPal for a seller. 

While local pickup offers many benefits to both the buyer and seller, and return requests are rare since the buyer can generally inspect the item when they arrive to pick it up, the buyer is still protected if the item does not match the description. I wanted to clear up any confusion about this, since the only change that has happened is the introduction of additional methods of delivery confirmation to better protect sellers. 

Message 67 of 101
latest reply

@Anonymous 

I'm honored, thanks for your reply.

What I mean by open up doors is, I can now safely let someone pick something up that they paid with paypal. 

I don't know what you are referencing to when you say Ebay protects sellers on items that are picked up that pay with paypal. They always told me to ask the buyer to leave feedback before they leave with the item. Is that the protection you are talking about? Most buyers give me a funny look or avoid the transaction all together.

Some buyers are scrupulous, know exactly how to work the system and I don't understand when you say, if an item is picked up, there is no way to file with paypal for non-receipt. Every payment I have ever received in paypal since 2003? Has been accompanied by an address. SHIP TO/CONFIRMED/SELLER PROTECTION etc. 

I would always inquire with ebay, "why must I agree, when listing an item, to accept paypal, if paypal does not recommend  local pickup for items that are picked up." You see, there were too many loop holes for error and basically, this equates to high risk. Too much grey area when there is a problem. I stopped taking chances so don't offer large items locally. THIS may OPEN UP THE DOOR to at least me anyways. I'm excited to see it finally happen. 

Message 68 of 101
latest reply

Obviously, this must open up some kind of door, otherwise, why the big deal over "proof of delivery" of local pick-up? I think this is a big deal. Paypal can use this across the board for all other online sales. No more cash at pick-up wondering if your going to be attacked when you arrive at the email location. As a buyer and seller, I will have a much better feeling knowing it is a matter of record who came to my house if I'm found on the floor. (I'm speaking more with CL on this point), but all local pickup can be transacted with paypal. and THIS opens up a lot of doors. Sorry to keep saying it that way. Maybe the door was open, but it's wide open now and I can see who's walking through the door.
Message 69 of 101
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@funnymaniac wrote:

@Anonymous 

I'm honored, thanks for your reply.

What I mean by open up doors is, I can now safely let someone pick something up that they paid with paypal. 

I don't know what you are referencing to when you say Ebay protects sellers on items that are picked up that pay with paypal. They always told me to ask the buyer to leave feedback before they leave with the item. Is that the protection you are talking about? Most buyers give me a funny look or avoid the transaction all together.

Some buyers are scrupulous, know exactly how to work the system and I don't understand when you say, if an item is picked up, there is no way to file with paypal for non-receipt. Every payment I have ever received in paypal since 2003? Has been accompanied by an address. SHIP TO/CONFIRMED/SELLER PROTECTION etc. 

I would always inquire with ebay, "why must I agree, when listing an item, to accept paypal, if paypal does not recommend  local pickup for items that are picked up." You see, there were too many loop holes for error and basically, this equates to high risk. Too much grey area when there is a problem. I stopped taking chances so don't offer large items locally. THIS may OPEN UP THE DOOR to at least me anyways. I'm excited to see it finally happen. 

Hi @funnymaniac, thanks for the clarification! I think I mistook the reference to opening doors as a negative, as in "This will open the door to problems", and not "This will open the door to opportunity."

When I mentioned the protection that eBay has offered for local pickup items was in response to when you said, "even though paypal policy does not protect sellers for items which you can not have a proof of delivery. So it was a pretty big contradiction." PayPal won't investigate a local pickup transaction, so there would be no added risk for a seller to accept PayPal as a form of payment for a local pickup transaction - the buyer would simply not be able to report any concerns to PayPal, so a seller would not need any form of protection through PayPal for those types of transactions as neither the buyer nor seller are covered through PayPal's protection program ie. no case can be opened. I understand you are shown an address in the PayPal transaction, but this is always provided to you in PayPal and is not an indication that the buyer would be eligible for their protection program.

The reason we require a seller to offer some form of electronic payment method is becase eBay offers protection for local pickup transactions through the eBay Money Back Guarantee, and part of the eligibility requirements for this program is that payment is made through eBay checkout. Cash upon pickup can be an option, but a seller cannot limit the buyer to only this option as the buyer needs to be able to select a payment method that makes them eligible for eBay's protection if they choose to.

No additional risk exists based on the details I've outlined above - a buyer cannot pursue protection through PayPal when local pickup is selected for the purchase, and eBay does not require tracking information for those kinds of sales as we understand it won't exist. You can review our Help Page for offering local pickup to see steps you can take to protect yourself and ensure successful transactions (here). 

Message 70 of 101
latest reply

funnymaniac,

Just to be clear, this change has NOTHING to do with PayPal or CL. It impacts INR claims on eBay purchases.
Message 71 of 101
latest reply

hi how do i enter the 6 digit code

Message 72 of 101
latest reply

GREAT news. I have always had the buyer sign and date a copy of the packing slip. This feature makes me feel better!

Message 73 of 101
latest reply

i have no cell phone  

Message 74 of 101
latest reply

me as well no cell

Message 75 of 101
latest reply