cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New July Forced Return Policies killing off Sellers Please help

So basically the best way to look at it is Ebay is forcing returns on all listings no matter what.  Even listings marked no returns.  This is a total dream for Scammers, 30 day Use Abuse and returners, People who break items, Buyer's remorse, and people who find the item cheaper up to 30 days after purchase.

This is a complete nightmare.

Couple that with their new no picture or proof requirements.  WOW.  Litterarlly night and day policy change from when I first opened my store.

I had a buyer last Friday open a return and state a new exterior plastic car part accessory was "all scratched up."

I packaged it myself. I wrapped it with many layers of non scratch cellophane. Wrapped it with packing paper on top of that then bubble wrapped it.  Put it in a larger box than needed. Filled that with additional packing paper.  Then, even marked the box “Fragile” on all sides and sent Priority.

This was listed as a No return sold as is listing.  Marked that way in the Ebay listing options .  I even restated this in the description too.

I apologized to the buyer for the inconvenience.  I asked the buyer 3 very simple and basic questions. Even though the item was a NO RETURN item, I would gladly have made the situation right with a full refund or another item if the item legitimately arrived scratched up. 

I asked:

1. Can you send pictures of the damage?
  2. Have you used or mounted the item in anyway?
  3. How was the box and packaging condition when it arrived?

The buyer never responded to those questions.  Ignored them.  The buyer replied with “What is your return policy”   Then he sent a 2nd message a few seconds after stating the item he received “was the wrong part # and looks different than ones on display at his auto parts store.”  A completely different claim now.

So again I asked for pics of the damage so I can get this taken care of for him.  I also asked for clarification of if the item was damaged or just the wrong part number. I also stated that the return policy is clearly listed in the listing terms and again in the description.  It says no returns, but I will work with you to fix the issue if it did arrive damaged just send pics and reply to the questions in the first message.

The buyer responded again ignoring the 2nd request for pictures and stated “it’s just a tiny scratch, but it doesn’t look the one’s he saw at his local store and it came in a generic box and his main reason is that he doesn’t believe it’s the right part #.

I again asked the buyer to please send pictures of the damage and the part # now.  FOR THE THIRD TIME.  Meanwhile it’s been a week at this point of Ebay holding my money for the item.

I’ve talked with 3 different Ebay reps.  They all say the buyer changed their story and is inconsistent. That the buyer is purposefully ignoring the request for pics.  However, with the new rules and policies they can’t do anything and my money will have to remain on hold until I take the return!!!!!!!!! Then the money goes to the buyer….lol

To add insult to injury they want me to pay for the return label.

So now I will have a damaged non sellable item. Or a different Item that is worthless that I wouldn’t sell.

And be out for the original shipping label and another return label.

So you can 100%  lose money being a seller on Ebay at this point.  Lose a $60 item...and be charged $20 in useless shipping charges.

I will be down $80 for one simple transaction.  What a horrible horrible policy for the sellers.

Any suggestions?????

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

There has never been a no return policy for SNAD on ebay.

And ebay has never required buyers to send photos.  You can ask but buyers can simply deny or ignore the request.

If a buyer opens SNAD, you have no choice but to send return label, and when item is returned to you, refund him.

None of these are recent changes and has always been ebay's policy.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Some buyers don't want to pay to return even if they made the mistake, a no return policy invites them to make up the reasons.  You have no choice but to pay for the return when they claim not as described, so may as well do it.  You will NOT know if the item is damaged  and unsaleable until you get it back.  A number of times, same thing has happened and there is no damage...........

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Couple that with their new no picture or proof requirements

There is nothing "new" about this. eBay has never required pictures or proof. It's been this way for at least a decade.

The buyer never responded to those questions

eBay has never required buyer to answer seller's questions. It's been this way for at least a decade.

It says no returns, but I will work with you to fix the issue if it did arrive damaged just send pics and reply to the questions in the first message

When a buyer claims an item is "not as described", No Returns does not apply. If it did, selles would be scamming buyers left and right by selling iPhones and shipping empty boxes.And again, buyers have never been required to send pictures or answer questions about a SNAD claim. It's been this way for at least a decade.

That the buyer is purposefully ignoring the request for pics.  However, with the new rules and policies they can’t do anything

They are correct. There is nothing in eBay's Money Back Guarantee that says a buyer must send pictures to receive coverage. It's been this way for at least a decade.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

I have had cases closed in the past in my favor for SNAD due to pictures from buyer.
Message 5 of 53
latest reply

@jbos2466 wrote:
I have had cases closed in the past in my favor for SNAD due to pictures from buyer.

Ebay does not require nor look at photos.

Your case must be out of the ordinary for them.

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Ebay flat out said they would of escalated this in my favor before these changes due to the buyer changing their complaint in the messages. Or they would require pics. Spoke to 3 reps this morning. "Wrong part # is different" than "all scratched up" which is different than "one tiny scratch....."
Message 7 of 53
latest reply

hey,

ebay won't help you. they don't care.  i had the same exact issue.  literally exact.  customer sent back item that was not mine, it was an item dropped highly used, and not scratched off something which i think is serial #

ebay doesn't care. they will not help you the reps will lie to you

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

Returned items should not be sold as new. I'm not doing that.
A no return policy only invites them to lie if Ebay has nothing in place to protect the seller from the lie.....
Message 9 of 53
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

If a buyer opens SNAD, you have no choice but to send return label, and when item is returned to you, refund him.

None of these are recent changes and has always been ebay's policy.

Wrong. In the past if a seller could prove it's a fake SNAD, ebay  would open a case, escalate and rule in the seller's favor. 

Now a buyer can open a SNAD and write "Exactly as described. Just changed mind."  Under ebay's new policy as of around April 2018, the SNAD sticks, the seller is forced to pay return shipping and gets the return added to his stats as a SNAD.

As an added bonus, come Oct 1 said fake SNAD will be added to the new 4% FVF money grab.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Some buyers don't want to pay to return even if they made the mistake, a no return policy invites them to make up the reasons.  You have no choice but to pay for the return when they claim not as described, so may as well do it.

And if you do have a return policy, the buyer will have good odds of lying about the reason in order to force you to pay return shipping.  Therefore, since a no return policy does mean no returns for buyer's remorse (and my returns have been few and far between since I switched over a few years back), then it makes sense to do No Returns, since you will likely have more honest buyers than not who will respect that policy, but having a return policy will likely push some of the borderline cases over the edge; because they know that there is nothing you can do otherwise.

It is true that No Returns does nothing against actual thieves and liars.  However, the No Returns policy keeps the honest, and most importantly the on the cusp but still honest for now, buyers honest.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@jbos2466 wrote:
Ebay flat out said they would of escalated this in my favor before these changes due to the buyer changing their complaint in the messages. Or they would require pics. Spoke to 3 reps this morning. "Wrong part # is different" than "all scratched up" which is different than "one tiny scratch....."

What were "these changes"?

And who is "eBay"? Do you mean one of the customer support representatives that are almost universally regarded on this board as having no idea what they are talking about, and will say just about anything to get you off the phone?

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

Exactly!!!
My exact experience with escalation. Even have seen escalation require pictures themselves.

Oh boy I literally told that to the rep who just said "take the return and appeal it if it comes back damaged or different item." I literally said why so Ebay can penalize me for it later on or so it can can't against me in some algorithm...
Can you please explain how it will count against me? Nobody who works at Ebay has the ability to . lol
Message 13 of 53
latest reply

They may not "REQUIRE" photos but "THEY ABSOLUTELY DO LOOK AT THEM" if any have been sent. I have had 3 cases closed in my favor in the past because CS reviewed the sent photos. Your statement is not true sorry.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

read sandmansales post above.... It will educate you on sellers who just don't bend over and take silly automated actions. In 3 days you could force escalate and they would diligently review pictures or messages and decide to close the return in your favor if it was determined a bogus SNAD.

Wow the last part sounds such like a plant apologist i don't know where to start....Yes Ebay reps are considered Ebay... Again spoke with 3 because I'm very familiar with getting an incompetent rep a time or 2...
Message 15 of 53
latest reply