cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative feedback from buyer

I've sold on ebay for 14 years and this is my first time receiving negative feedback...I have worked hard for 100%.  Recently a returning customer purchased an item, left glowing comments but pushed negative feedback.  She has purchased many items in past, always leaves fantastic feedback

I have already started a revision request but haven't heard back yet.  

My question is...if she does not revise feedback and I choose to refund the purchase price will the negative feedback go away?

My perfect feedback score means everything to my business

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@dhew3913 wrote:

I've sold on ebay for 14 years and this is my first time receiving negative feedback...I have worked hard for 100%.  Recently a returning customer purchased an item, left glowing comments but pushed negative feedback.  She has purchased many items in past, always leaves fantastic feedback

My question is...if she does not revise feedback and I choose to refund the purchase price will the negative feedback go away?

If this was the type of negative I received, I think I'd have trouble stomaching the fact my 100% rating was tainted, but the negative does not hurt your business. Anyone going to read negatives (and everyone likes to read the negative comments) will understand it's a mistake and ignore.

You could try the self removal tool (the only way eBay removes negs now) and see if they can remove it because it's positive comments with a negative rating. That's against policy, but eBay isn't really removing negatives anymore.

Maybe follow up with the customer to say you sent the revision and you're hoping she can revise so you can keep your 100% positive rating. I'm sure it was a mistake that she put it as negative and didn't pay attention when she confirmed it (I think there's a second are you sure type of screen they have to push enter on to post a negative review).

C.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@dhew3913 wrote:

.... Did you message the buyer directly? I would not have sent a revision request before messaging the buyer and getting confirmation they would revise.

If your perfect feedback score means everything, that's a little unsettling. No buyer cares about the difference between 99.8% and 100%. Any buyer that ACTUALLY cares, will read your negative feedback, and quickly realize the buyer made a mistake.

This is not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be, but I would reach out to the buyer directly via message. I would've done that in the first place

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sounds like a mistake of the buyer.

Buyer only gets 30 days to change it. Not 31 days.

And eBay is usually of no help unless it's like TRS or such.

It's a positive statement and would not affect your business. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No.

Refundung or paying a customer will not make the negative go away.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I'm sure your repeat buyer will be very embarrassed when they see what they did.  I agree that waiting to hear from them would be good before actually sending the revision request, because it is time sensitive.  I'd want them to be looking for it, so they can respond before it expires.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Aww, that's too bad they got confused when leaving it I guess. Fingers crossed they change it. It's beautiful feedback tho, so don't sweat it if they don't. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Sounds like a mistake of the buyer.

Buyer only gets 30 days to change it. Not 31 days.

And eBay is usually of no help unless it's like TRS or such.

It's a positive statement and would not affect your business. 

More specifically, I think they only get 7 days (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) from when a feedback revision request is sent, which is why others have recommended contacting the buyer and getting them to agree before sending one of your limited revision requests.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@dhew3913,

You have some of the best feedback I've seen!   And it's obvious to anyone reading it that your buyer just pressed the wrong button.  I hope your buyer revises it ... but if not, annoying as it may be, I wouldn't worry about it!   It won't hurt your business, you have very happy buyers & anyone can see that!  ~Good luck!~

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@dhew3913 

Congratulations on getting the feedback removed or changed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

..if she does not revise feedback and I choose to refund the purchase price will the negative feedback go away?

I see the negative has already been removed.

Good that you have a cooperative (and probably embarrassed) customer.

But.

Refunding would not make any feedback go away.

Nor will cancelling the transaction. With Cancellations ,as opposed to Claims, the decision to end the transaction is considered to be a mutual agreement between friendly adults. And therefore feedback can be left.

In fact, some powerhungry sphincters will promise to revise a negative feedback in exchange for refunds, then just don't.

Because they can.

It is possible to Respond to any FB.

It's usually a Very Bad Idea, because the seller will be responding while upset and angry.

Responses should be calm short factual professional short polite and short.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply