cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback

I accepted a bid for an item last month from a good customer. Before shipping, I discovered that the item was broken so I emailed my customer ( he never responded ) and then I sent them a refund. Today I see that the customer has left me negative feedback. I called ebay and told them what had happened and said that I followed all of the rules and did everything that I could do to make this right and still received negative feedback. They said there was nothing they could do.  They checked my correspondence with this customer and confirmed everything that I said....but they said the buyer has the right to leave feedback expressing how they felt about the transaction.  Ebay used to offer the option of responding to negative feedback but they don't even offer this anymore. Why does Ebay mistreat their sellers like this. The only option for a seller is to block the bidder which I did.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Negative Feedback

There is a common mistrust between buyers and sellers whenever things like this happen.  Did you send them a photo to show the damage?  I did that when I had an issue and my buyer still wanted the item.  It's always a good idea to give them the option.

You can still respond to the negative.  You are an experienced seller, so I'm sure you already know that a response is for future buyers.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I was not aware seller can no longer respond to a negative feed back. 

One might wonder if the policy makers at eBay might make even some feeble attempt to level the feed back playing field if they had to have ever sold some things on eBay and had to endure  to quality of their lowest bidder customer service (uh-hum) company in some distant land.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

Sellers often think that a refund makes everything right.  They think they did all that they could, but if they did all they could, the issue would not exist.  No offense, OP, I understand things can happen, but that does not mean that a refund denies the buyer the right to express their opinion through feedback.

A refund makes the buyer whole.  But it may still be a negative worthy experience for the buyer, who searched for the item, considered the listing, description, price, shipping, location, delivery time, bought, paid...

and then has nothing to show for it.  So they are allowed to express that opinion through feedback.  They feel you let them down, so they may want to share that with others.

You can respond, with a professional response that will reflect well on you.  An apology might be nice.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I can't see where eBay mistreated you.  Buyer evidently didn't believe your broken item story and believes you reneged on the deal.  They did not violate feedback rules so the feedback remains.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

@mpcac wrote:

I accepted a bid for an item last month from a good customer. Before shipping, I discovered that the item was broken so I emailed my customer ( he never responded ) and then I sent them a refund. Today I see that the customer has left me negative feedback. I called ebay and told them what had happened and said that I followed all of the rules and did everything that I could do to make this right and still received negative feedback. They said there was nothing they could do.  They checked my correspondence with this customer and confirmed everything that I said....but they said the buyer has the right to leave feedback expressing how they felt about the transaction.  Ebay used to offer the option of responding to negative feedback but they don't even offer this anymore. Why does Ebay mistreat their sellers like this. The only option for a seller is to block the bidder which I did.

You’ve been an active seller for a long time. Why did you think a refund took away the buyer’s right to evaluate the transaction?

And eBay hasn’t taken away the ability to respond to feedback.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I emailed the buyer and did not receive a response so I went ahead and gave them a refund.  What more could I do. Ebay checked my email correspondence and acknowledged my attempts to correspond with the buyer. 

Ebay no longer allows you to respond to the negative.  In the past I have done this but now there is no option. I asked Ebay about this and they said this is true. Why take this option away from all ebayers??

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

“Ebay no longer allows you to respond to the negative.”

Again, you’re wrong. You can respond on YOUR feedback page. If you actually mean “retaliate by negging the buyer”, yes, that option was removed 10 years ago. But that’s not “responding”; that’s “making yourself look worse”.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I did not break the item. I discovered that the item was broken or acutally it was a very fine hairline crack that I missed when listing. I have an Ebay store and on occasion I find flaw or something that I missed on my initial inspection.  

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

@mpcac wrote:

I did not break the item. I discovered that the item was broken or acutally it was a very fine hairline crack that I missed when listing. I have an Ebay store and on occasion I find flaw or something that I missed on my initial inspection.  

It seems they didn't believe you.  Did you send a photo? 

Are you wanting to post a follow-up to the negative?  That option is available at the bottom of your feedback page.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I left the seller positive feedback in the middle of December when the refund was sent. The buyer waited about a month to leave me negative feedback. Obviously some agree with me and some do not. 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

Thanks so much.  

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

Why does Ebay mistreat their sellers like this.

Wow.

You disappointed a buyer and failed to complete a transaction.

And you think that buyer was unfair to consider that a negative experience?

And that eBay mistreated you by not covering up your failure by removing the negative?

The only option for a seller is to block the bidder which I did.

Actually, there is another option.

You can accept responsibility for not delivering what was promised, and treat this as a learning experience that will help you become a more consciencious and responsible seller.

Entitlement attitudes are not limited to buyers, apparently.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

I was wrong, I found out on this page that if you go to the bottom of your feedback page, you can leaver follow up feedback for either the buyer or the seller. 

I've been a seller on Ebay for almost 20 years. I think I've received 2 negatives in the last 10 years. I don't think I've ever had more than 5. I always offer a 100% satisfaction return policy!! I make every effort to make sure my customers are happy. I pay return postage etc. On occasion, I miss some hard to see damage that I missed when listing but found on my final inspection before shipping. For the last 20 years, Ebay has become less friendly to the sellers and has taken the side of the buyer. I think this is a common feeling shared by most if not all experienced  sellers. Not sure why this is because I don't think Ebay would even exist if it weren't for venders selling on Ebay.  

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Negative Feedback

@mpcac wrote:

Obviously some agree with me and some do not. 

Actually, no. 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply