cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback- buyer won’t respond

I need some suggestions on how to handle a buyer that left negative feedback on my 100%- 1461 review account! She didn’t like her Smartwool socks- claiming they were too short- they were listed as OTC (over the calf) in my listing - they didn’t go up to her knee. Never reached out to contact me and won’t respond to kind messages. I am a great seller and this is my first encounter with such an unreasonable buyer! What do you suggest I do to handle this? Thinking asking for a revision is pointless. 

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Negative Feedback- buyer won’t respond

@froggyjump wrote:

Many of these people here are not kind, sorry for that. I am not sure why, most don't even make much money if you check their sales out.

Onto it, you have to advocate for yourself. Even if that means phoning them or contacting them. You expect people to do the right thing, always be firm but polite. Then let them know you do contact their mail carriers, file a mail fraud against them, and will insist upon filing a police report against them in their town. This is very easy for me as I explain I am Christian so cannot partner with thieving, whether against myself or others. And it's their choice from then on out. I do not threaten.  I've not had issues as of yet. Thieves realize I will go AT LEAST that far against them.  I am not saying your customer is a thief but Ebay works better when you get to the realization neither side is on your side, both are GREEDY and will steal from you.  Sorry this is happening,  hang in there 

What the heck do you think this buyer did?  It was a feedback over socks and you are want to stalk  them, threaten mail fraud & file a police report.   Seriously, I've heard of everything now.  

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

Maybe buy and use a Stocking Mannequin or two?  Different ones depicting different styles, like a full leg,  or from the knee down, or ankle down? 

Display the item out of the package to visualize the actual fit.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 47 of 61
latest reply

@froggyjump wrote:

Many of these people here are not kind, sorry for that. I am not sure why, most don't even make much money if you check their sales out.

Onto it, you have to advocate for yourself. Even if that means phoning them or contacting them. You expect people to do the right thing, always be firm but polite. Then let them know you do contact their mail carriers, file a mail fraud against them, and will insist upon filing a police report against them in their town. This is very easy for me as I explain I am Christian so cannot partner with thieving, whether against myself or others. And it's their choice from then on out. I do not threaten.  I've not had issues as of yet. Thieves realize I will go AT LEAST that far against them.  I am not saying your customer is a thief but Ebay works better when you get to the realization neither side is on your side, both are GREEDY and will steal from you.  Sorry this is happening,  hang in there 

In what universe is this a Christian attitude, to threaten your buyers with filing police reports and mail fraud claims? With no legitimate, verifiable evidence that your buyer is a thief or scammer?

Over a pair of socks in the case of the OP - whose buyer isn't saying they didn't get the socks, they just weren't happy with the fit.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito.

Message 48 of 61
latest reply

Thanks for your help 

I did display the socks outside of the package. They do not look like crow socks to me. But fit is everything. Hard to know Individual Leg length.

A mannequin is a good idea but not sure for the price of socks it’s worth investing in. I’ve sold lots of socks And never had a buyer like this one. Liz 

Message 49 of 61
latest reply

@liz1190 wrote:

I am just here asking for help not looking for people to be mean. 
I have accepted returns on occasion and have personally decided NoT for me. 
i received things back - used stinking of perfume and not able to be sold- needing to be thrown in the trash. 
Sadly, people are not honest and eBay does not stand behind us as sellers when the buyer abuses the return policy. 
This is my decision and I have in a case by case basis accepted things. 
hard to do in this case with buyer remorse and choosing to leave negative feedback instead of asking for help😥

Please be kind as I am only here asking for positive possibilities. 
thanks

liz

@liz1190- I would not beg or offer anything to this buyer or do anything else beyond this point.  Yes, it's a sting, but try not to allow this more importance than it has.  It's going to happen sooner or later, like the first ding on a new vehicle, and in negative-land, this one is a really minor deal - nothing was said against your business practices, they were just complaining about the product.  You made a good response.  Anyone reading this neg is going to just roll their eyes, particularly when they see your reasoned response. If you haven't left FB for the buyer, don't bother.

This won't hurt your sales, just keep going.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 50 of 61
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

So it’s a normal misunderstanding, no one can control manufacturer’s description 

The fact that the manufacturer's packaging calls it "over the calf" means that the seller was accurate in the description. 

A couple of years ago, I sold a designer belt that was stamped with the size, 40" and got a SNAD dispute from the buyer who claimed, "I am a 40 and it doesn't fit." 

There was no arguing with him and I bit my tongue to avoid telling him that maybe he was a 40 a year ago but maybe he put on weight.

Once I got it back, I relisted and sold it to another size 40 buyer without issue.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

That wasn’t mean. It was truth.

Most don’t like hearing it.

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@froggyjump wrote:

What the heck do you think this buyer did?  It was a feedback over socks and you are want to stalk  them, threaten mail fraud & file a police report.   Seriously, I've heard of everything now.  

Don’t forget the “I’m a Christian “ and won’t do business with “thieves.”

And the mean people “don’t sell that much” dig.

I’d call EBay and file a complaint if a seller called me.

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

I had that a year or so ago with a size 11 dress that “fits more like a 3.”

I resold it for more, with nary a complaint.

Message 54 of 61
latest reply

I think you misunderstood. No one is bullying anyone

Of course we call the police on thieves. Don't you?  I am not sure how you live with yourself but I do not partner with thieves, period

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

I am quite happy with the respect I give them when I call. Honestly I've had not many problems at all doing this.

My positive feedbacks speak for themselves and clearly there are no negative or even neutral comments so there is nothing there to derive anything from

Message 56 of 61
latest reply

I think I posted this above but I don't do feedback revision requests. This is how I handle scammers. The reason I do online research first is because I want to ensure this truly is a scammer before proceeding. Sometimes if they live in squallor, per their address, I just let them keep the item. Or if I see their facebook and they seem like nice people, then I'll be more flexible.

There is much which goes into this decision. Socks? I have one pair for sale and if they said they didn't fit, I will probably not accept a return.  All I can do is my best to determine if they are scammers, which usually have an M.O and often come off with guns a blazing using the buzz words of "not authentic" for example.

Message 57 of 61
latest reply

Reach out to them. Nothing else you can do. Maybe check their "feedback left for others", are they extremely abusive to others?

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

@skeletonstore wrote:

That could weed out the herd though 😄  My 1st thought when reading this was what bad timing for her and the other people posting about getting a negative today.  March 1st the buyer would have been forced to email her 1st. 

You misunderstand the announcement, eBay uses the word "encouraged" that does NOT mean it is required. Even if it was if I was in the mood to leave a neg the only communication in advance would be "Attn Seller, check your feedback in 5 minutes".

That’s why, starting in late spring, we’ll be rolling out a simplified way to help you avoid negative feedback. If a buyer starts to leave negative feedback on the eBay app before they’ve contacted you on the eBay platform, we’ll automatically encourage them to reach out to you and give you a chance to resolve the issue first.

Message 59 of 61
latest reply

Some of these suggestions are way over the top for a simple neg that isn't going to do anything.  Good grief - you're gonna run into these people selling online.  It takes a thick skin to be an online seller (or in retail at all).  Lots of people leave reviews for items instead of for the seller - all four platforms I sell on I've seen this.

As for returns - there is no way I would sell clothing without taking returns, but not socks and intimates.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 60 of 61
latest reply