cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neg FB from a seller saved me a headache

Just had a buyer purchase a free ship (1st class weight) item but in the comments request it be boxed and that if I did this she would leave positive FB.  To box her item/ship Priority would cost about $4 more on an already cheap item so I set up a custom listing with shipping options to pay the additional fees whichever way she'd like.  I messaged her explaining things and she became irate.  I checked her FB-she's notorious for leaving some really mean negative FBs.  After her 2nd aggressive message to me I said I was sorry she was unhappy with the options and I was cancelling her sale.  I immediately blocked her as she's so far sent 5 angry messages so far.  I'm sure I've dodged a bullet especially after I'd read another seller's response to her Neg FB explaining how this buyer must have mental problems/very aggressive.  So, just wanted to pass it on...sometimes even our feedback responses can help other sellers...payin' it forward...  :))

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Neg FB from a seller saved me a headache

Sorry...wrong thread.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Blocking your buyer will not prevent them from leaving feedback. Using FB to get something not in the listing might get it removed should they leave you Negative feedback.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I'm starting to see a pattern here, and in an instance where this IS a seller's day job, what pays the bills, I get it: Threaten bad feedback, get a discount buyers and sellers being terrified of the dreaded red donut and cratering too quickly.

I get it, I do.  I really do... and yet... I think if pushback - polite, firm, and professional - became the norm, perhaps this problem would be reduced in how often it occurs...  Even if it means taking a ding on your feedback.  

Of course, the SNAD loophole makes that far more difficult these days, but again, if the Return for Refund response became the stock response, rather than a partial refund?  The issue might begin to correct itself.

Surely... surely... The Big Giant Heads at eBay HAS to see how detrimental this is to their longevity? Or perhaps not... maybe it only 'hurts' the little guy, the sellers and the buyers that built eBay's foundations?

I'll quit musing now. More covfefe is in order this time of the morning.

I knew I had to ask him about the mysteries of life
He spit between his boots and he replied
"It's faster horses, younger women,
Older whiskey, and more money"
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@starlight3k wrote:

I said I was sorry she was unhappy with the options and I was cancelling her sale.

You understand that may have damaged your account and hurt your ability to sell, right?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

Blocking your buyer will not prevent them from leaving feedback. Using FB to get something not in the listing might get it removed should they leave you Negative feedback.

As far as I can tell a transaction never took place, what they meant by cancelling is they ended the special listing they set up for them because they refused to pay more for the expediated shipping they had requested.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

What reason did you use for cancelling the sale? You could have received a defect for doing so. Which can damage your acct. and ability to sell.

I would have just stated that you are unable to do that for free, as it was not included in the original listing.
Then if she had given you neg FB for demanding something that was not included in the original listing, that FB could be removed.
Although you would have to be calling ebay several times:( with policy in hand.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I would think this would fall under the 'unreasonable demands' reason, no?

I knew I had to ask him about the mysteries of life
He spit between his boots and he replied
"It's faster horses, younger women,
Older whiskey, and more money"
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@starlight3k wrote:

Just had a buyer purchase a free ship (1st class weight) item but in the comments request it be boxed and that if I did this she would leave positive FB.  To box her item/ship Priority would cost about $4 more on an already cheap item so I set up a custom listing with shipping options to pay the additional fees whichever way she'd like.  I messaged her explaining things and she became irate.  I checked her FB-she's notorious for leaving some really mean negative FBs.  After her 2nd aggressive message to me I said I was sorry she was unhappy with the options and I was cancelling her sale.  I immediately blocked her as she's so far sent 5 angry messages so far.  I'm sure I've dodged a bullet especially after I'd read another seller's response to her Neg FB explaining how this buyer must have mental problems/very aggressive.  So, just wanted to pass it on...sometimes even our feedback responses can help other sellers...payin' it forward...  :))

Why would using a box cause you to ship it priority? From your statement, all the buyer asked was to ship it in a box.

>>Why would using a box cause you to ship it priority?

Because a 10 1/2" x 15" bubble mailer weighs 0.90 oz, a 12" x15" Poly Envelope weigh 0.60oz, but a box weighs 4-8oz or more and pushes the weight over 15.99oz (or 13oz if seller goes retail)?
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

As far as I can tell a transaction never took place, what they meant by cancelling is they ended the special listing they set up for them because they refused to pay more for the expediated shipping they had requested.

From the first line of the OP:

”Just had a buyer purchase a free ship (1st class weight) item ”

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>Why would using a box cause you to ship it priority?

Because a 10 1/2" x 15" bubble mailer weighs 0.90 oz, a 12" x15" Poly Envelope weigh 0.60oz, but a box weighs 4-8oz or more and pushes the weight over 15.99oz (or 13oz if seller goes retail)?

But do we know what it is? What sold on 11/30 was the bible book, and that already weighs 20 ounces(according to the details).

OP should have had the buyer cancel the sale.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

We don't know.

I didn't look because I grow weary of doing the legwork to obtain info that often should have been provided initially. (Though not necessarily in this case. More so in the "How much to ship something unspecified to Australia" type threads that drive me crazy and I mostly ignore)

I did look now though and don't think it's the book. It shows Media Mail shipping not First Class, and the boilerplate does show it as 21.3oz - well outside FCP territory.

Might be one of the items sold on 26, 27, or 28th and weights on those are unknown (though I'd guess within the 15.99oz range even with a box).

So... I dunno.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@starlight3k wrote:

Just had a buyer purchase a free ship (1st class weight) item but in the comments request it be boxed and that if I did this she would leave positive FB.  To box her item/ship Priority would cost about $4 more on an already cheap item so I set up a custom listing with shipping options to pay the additional fees whichever way she'd like.)

So are you into this woman for 2 listings now or just 1? What happened to the 1st purchased item listing before you set up a 'custom' listing for her?

What was the item anyway? What does it weigh before packaging is added?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply