cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with next steps for wrong address likely scam

I’m new to eBay selling, only about a month now but I have already completed almost 150 transactions. So here’s my issue. I had a buyer send an offer for a vacuum. I saw it when I had just woke up before coffee and saw LA and assumed it was for someone in california (for context im in PA). I sent buyer a counter offer for $8 more and explained in the counter offer that shipping would be pretty high on a vacuum to CA and the $8 more price was my lowest I could go. 

Buyer purchased item at counter offer price. When I got the address I realized immediately that in my early morning haze I had misinterpreted LA California for LA Louisiana which obviously wouldn’t be as much to ship. Me being the nice person that I am sent them a message saying I was half asleep this morning and explained the mix up, even stating that I didn’t realize they were in Louisiana and thought it was LA California, (this will be important later) and then refunded the $8 price difference of my own accord since the shipping wouldn’t be as bad. Buyer messaged me back a nice message saying thank you with a smiley face. 

Fast forward to the next day (today) I now get a message from the buyer saying that they put the wrong address and that they actually need it shipped to Texas…. I had already dropped this package off the day before at FedEx. 

Now a few things. I literally said to them yesterday that the reason for the $8 refund was because they lived in Louisiana (both in the actual refund message and in a direct chat) and the buyer replied to that  with a thank you and smiley face. But now they live in Texas after I dropped it off at FedEx?!?! 

So my question is should I just pay to have the package redirected back to me and refund the buyer? I know I shouldn’t redirect it to them from reading horror stories on here. And if I do can I deduct the redirect fee and the shipping fee from the refund? Or should I just redirect back to me and refund fully and eat the almost $50 in fees, redirecting and shipping? Or is there something else you more experienced sellers would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I would message them that I already shipped it to the address on record with eBay.  We are not supposed to use an alternate address.  You would lose your seller protection if you did that.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you shipped it to the address on the shipping label, I wouldn't do anything.

I would let is play out. It will most likely be returned.

Whatever happens, it's not your fault and you would win if the buyer filed a INR (item not received) case. 

When/if  the package is returned, you can refund the buyer LESS shipping charges.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I’d bet $20 it doesn’t get returned 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@maidenru_40 wrote:

I’d bet $20 it doesn’t get returned 

You're probably right but even if it's  not returned the seller isn't out anything.

I'd bet you but I don't have $20.    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

all I can say is that you are explaining too much to the buyer.  too much information

you dont need to explain shipping with an offer, its not up to you to educate a buyer on offers and shipping

when you make a shipping refund you do not have to message the buyer about it, you just make the refund and click off shipping adjustment

your predicament is with the buyer being unaware and its on them

good luck

@melindaanne 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

First, check that the author of the message is indeed the actual buyer, and not someone who is scamming for a free item, hoping you won’t notice.

Then I would contact your buyer, stating that you can cancel the order, and that they will need to repurchase it with the corrected address, after it is returned to you. If the buyer agrees, then i would redirect the package back to yourself. (If they do not agree, then it goes to the original address of record.)

Once in hand, cancel the sale as “Problem with buyer’s address.” Refund less the shipping fees and relist.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

welcome to the sellers club at ebay

I just wanted to let you know that you are really doing a good job with the numbers.

you have sold quite a few items and some sellers have trouble getting stuff sold

keep up the good work and please take the time to read the money back guarantee or MBG

dealing with the inevitable returns can be a real bear but it does not have to be

@melindaanne 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Asking to ship to a different address after purchasing in a big No No.  You need to cancel the transaction and relist.  Tell the buyer to update address info and repurchase!  If you send to the new address and it is not on file, they will claim the item was never received and you will be forced to refund their money and they will get to keep the item.  Never ever under any circumstance mail an item to an address other than the one on file with Ebay!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I appreciate everyone’s input, but just to be clear the buyer messaged me the day AFTER I had already shipped and dropped off the order. My question is should I let it play out, or should I pay to have it redirected back to me and just refund the buyer once I get it? 

in the first scenario if buyer is a scammer all he needs to do is say what he received isn’t what was ordered and I would be forced to pay even more to ship it back and likely be out the product as well. But if I redirect back to me and then refund I’m then out almost $50 in redirecting fees and shipping. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the input! You’re correct I don’t have to explain, but I have found that being honest and upfront, and explaining gets me better results than if I just send the offer. It stops the back and forth offers if I just give them my lowest offer and let them know it’s my lowest offer, and if it’s because it’s going to be expensive to ship I also let them know that. Personally when I have been the buyer I appreciate this approach.

I’m not bashing your approach, everyone has their own way of doing things. And I totally understand that your way is the norm. And maybe after selling on here for a long time I will have a different outlook. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I would let it play out as @inhawaii  mentioned. Also, for the future, to alleviate the big differences in shipping cost (from east to west coast), I would recommend using calculated shipping instead of free shipping.  This way the shipping cost is always known and would have saved some time dealing with the buyer on the refund.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Your first issue was that you felt the need to explain to your buyer how you arrived at the counter-offer amount. You are handing your buyer ammunition to use against you. It is none of their business how you arrived at your offer price. 

Had you refrained from that, there would have been no need for a refund, to apologize, to admit a mix-up, or to make yourself look less than competent in your buyer's eyes. 

Your second issue is that your buyer gave you the wrong address. That is on him and you should not be refunding anything until your buyer files a dispute and wins it. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

How much is the item in question & how much does it cost to redirect the pkg back to you?  Also, is it going to a Freight Forwarder?   I would let the answers to those 3 questions dictate what I do next.  

FF's are typically fine, but if you are already smelling a scam, that can be a different story.  

Since it's already shipped, I would likely do nothing, but I would let the cost of the item dictate that.  If we're talking about a $50 vacuum, no biggie, if it's a $500 vacuum, my answer may be different.  

Also, do you know that you can use Calculated Shipping, so you don't have to piddle around with mulitple messages over $8?  Let the computer do the work for you 🙂 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 14
latest reply