cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on shipping art

I have some large art, original & prints to list.  Several I have listed and there's been a lot of interest.  28" x 30". Framed with glass.  Heavy.  Right now, I'm saying local pickup. But, anyone here have success with shipping this kind of art? How do you do it? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Double boxed using double wall cardboard and 1/2" bubble wrap. At least 3" on all sides though 5" is best. If you're not making your own boxes, leave it pickup only.

Can you offer to drop them off at a UPS Store and let the buyer pay for shipping/packing with their CC?

I've purchased a large painting and a few frames over the past few years doing just that when the sellers had listed their items as pickup only.  Only concern would be how to set it up so you, as the seller, would be protected.  A higher buy-it-now using best offer could help screen prospective purchasers.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I take these to professional shippers (FedEx/UPS store outlets) and let them package it (even though we do a better job). It costs quite a lot more but then they are responsible for damage.

For unframed items that can be rolled, we buy professional tubes, large and long enough for the items to fit. Bought in bulk, they are fairly cheap, and save us a lot of hassles.

I guess the point here is don't try to get away with it in the cheap.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Do the frames have inherent value or can the art be sold without them? 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Honestly, the framed is the issue.   You might try visiting a store like Aaron Bros and see what they are throwing out, but the minute you add the frame and the glass, you've just made things a whole lot harder on yourself.   Maybe it's just not worth it.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Purely my own opinion, but looking at a couple of the listings, I would say despite them being obviously professionally framed, the frames are dated and clash with the beautiful art.  I would actually get rid of them unless someone wants to do local pickup.  I know good framing is expensive and that is good quality framing.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Always a good idea. Money saved on shipping can go towards the new framing.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@pennpicker  That's really true.  Plus, when you think about staging art in a room, the frame becomes an integral part of the art AND the decor, not to mention the primary issue of complimenting the art itself. 

I've been going through just this same issue which is why I looked in on this thread - I have two pages of 12th century manuscript that I need framed, and I want it to be just right (and it has to be archival due to the age of the vellum) so I've been doing a little research into this. 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Local pick up only..

Through the years I sold a lot of gigantic or very big antiques and Art; paintings, building signs, furniture etc., etc.

They always did sell.  Maybe took some time but hey…

Only way to go…

The eBay buyers came with their trucks or vans…

Local pick up only…

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

Honestly, the framed is the issue.   You might try visiting a store like Aaron Bros and see what they are throwing out, but the minute you add the frame and the glass, you've just made things a whole lot harder on yourself.   Maybe it's just not worth it.

Plus, even if the buyer is willing to pay the extra costs associated with having the seller ship it, it's still the seller's responsibility to deliver it in the condition in which it was sold. If it arrives damaged, you're on the hook for refunding, either with or without paying more to have it shipped back to you first, if you want it returned.

Best to have the buyer (or his designated shipper) show up in person, pay the cash and carry it off. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Another good place to look for oversized boxes are bike shops.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply