cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Ebay answer on the GTC questions

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2019-Early-Seller-Update/Update-on-Good-Til-Cancelled/m-p/29556571#M18...

MODS..........please leave this one on the selling board for a day or two, or at least the link to the page on the Special Board........

Hey eBay sellers, this is Harry, VP of Seller Experience at eBay. As you read in the 2019 Early Seller Update, we are moving all Fixed Price listings to Good ‘Til Cancelled (GTC). As a reminder, this change does not apply to auctions. We’re making this change because we have seen that GTC listings offer more sales opportunities than any other fixed price duration. Over time, GTC listings keep and grow watchers, sales history, and SEO authority as they maintain the same item ID and URL for the life of the listing. We believe all of the above improves the ability for buyers to discover items on eBay, which thereby improves the likelihood of a sale.

We’re aware of concerns some of you may have around managing GTC listings. Today in the Seller Hub Active listings page, you can see the start date of each of your listings. You can also sort by the start date to see, for example, your oldest listing at the top. With the start date, you can determine how long a listing has been active – but, currently, this requires you to do some math. By the end of March, we’ll do the math for you and will show you the number of days each listing has been active. Today, sellers can also sort active listings by end date or time left. For GTC listings, end date indicates the next date of renewal, and time left indicates the time left until renewal. Just as you do today, you can start, end, or relist your items at any time you choose.

All sellers may also take advantage of the out-of-stock feature, which allows you to effectively pause the availability of the item to buyers by setting the listing quantity to zero. This comes in handy if you want to keep all the benefits mentioned above (same item ID and URL, watchers, sales history and SEO benefits) while either your item is out-of-stock or you need a vacation. When you are ready to sell the item again, simply update the quantity back to a positive number. You can also use our bulk editing tools to update multiple listings at once.

We’re also aware of concerns about the 30 day auto-renewal period not syncing with monthly billing cycles. We’re looking into this. Thank you for your patience.

We always want to create the best experience we possibly can for our sellers. That’s why your feedback is so important to us. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you to improve your sales velocity and build a better marketplace.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

We always want to create the best experience we possibly can for our sellers.
That’s why your feedback is so important to us.

LOL.

The feedback has been crystal clear.

Don't take away the option that gives us the best possible experience. 

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

".... For GTC listings, end date indicates the next date of renewal, and time left indicates the time left until renewal. Just as you do today, you can start, end, or relist your items at any time you choose."

It is NOT the same. With the 30-day Fixed Price a seller does not have to worry about automatic relists.  AND GTC is NOT a useful/good option for all sellers/categories. For example, I launch auctions and fixed price listings almost every day to keep things running.... I currently don't have to worry about going over my free listings limits (I have a basic store 250 auctions 250 fixed price) but with GTC I can't imagine wasting my time monitoring when then end so I can end them. It does not make sense.

And I have tried GTC in the past. It did NOT generate sales. 

It is plain and simple: we need to have the 30-day fixed price option and everyone will be happy.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Clarification: so I can end them (GTC listings) before they automatically restart
Message 4 of 52
latest reply

This is the first time in a couple of years I have posted. I absolutely

have no use for this. If I list it for 30 days I may or may not list it again

I sell certain collectiables that are seasonable.

Now I will have to cancel the item.

PLEASE rethink  this.

I may just stop my 30 day BIN.

James

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

We’re also aware of concerns about the 30 day auto-renewal period not syncing with monthly billing cycles. We’re looking into this. Thank you for your patience.

How did they not anticipate this?  Did they not consult a focus group to gauge seller concerns?Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

This announcement melted my heart...……………...not! Smiley Very Happy heart

latest reply

It is worth it for me to sell an item here and pay the 10% FVF.  But, to be blunt, it is not worth it to pay $0.35 per item every month.  eBay just doesn't have the audience they did in the 90s.  And part of the reason for that is because they keep driving sellers away with policies like this.

They are going to LOSE MONEY because sellers will be manually canceling their BINs a day or two before they are due to expire / relist, meaning they will not appear in the "Ending Soonest" lists.   Also buyers do not like it when items they're watching are canceled . . . This is so dumb.

Keep the 30 day BIN option (and the 10 and 7 day options for that matter).

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

I used GTC years ago and at that time you could not close them all at once, you had to close each one manually.

Is that how it still is or can I go an hour before they end and close everything at once?

I only sell books, so I have them split into groups, so I upload a group each month, so there are different authors each month.  I add new books by those authors each time I upload them, which keeps my items fresh and different each month. 

Since I have been having a problem with Ebay showing something I've sold as available, I certainly don't want them showing something sold out for 3 months.  Can you imagine a glitch where they accidentally turn them all on as available. 

This is so ridiculous.  Stay out of my business.  I don't have many rights left, but how long I want something in my store should never be interfered with. 

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Thanks for the link - at least they are taking our concerns into consideration. I do see the importance of GTC for those with multiple quantities but not for OOAK and especially not for those without a UPC. 

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

I have a feeling that this is going to lead to a lot of occasional sellers forgetting that they have listings on eBay and selling items they tossed in the trash months before. 

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

What about the sellers who never read any of Ebay's updates and never come to these boards, even though they always have things up for sale.

Look at how many (after I don't know how many years) come in to ask why they can't leave a neg for their buyer.
Message 12 of 52
latest reply

Its **bleep** near insulting everytime Ebay replies. Noone wants it, pure money grab, more sellers will leave, Ebay will continue to tank, on and on and on. The same scenario has happened a hundred times over.  Its not about anything else than Ebay refuses to listen to the sellers who make this site go, Period.

And I'm glad they are figuring out some "tweeks". I mean whats wrong with instituting something broken?  This company never ceases to amaze me.

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

@ozarkjoe wrote:

How did they not anticipate this?  Did they not consult a focus group to gauge seller concerns?Smiley Mad

How did they not anticipate this?  Did they not consult a focus group to gauge seller concerns calendar?

FTFY

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

@ne*1*huskers wrote:
What about the sellers who never read any of Ebay's updates and never come to these boards, even though they always have things up for sale.
Look at how many (after I don't know how many years) come in to ask why they can't leave a neg for their buyer.

They will notice the change the next time they try to list something, and come in to ask why they can't choose anything except GTC.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply