cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Buyers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I am really sad to learn that I must use my bank account to sell my shoes. I do not share that with anyone.    If you check my history on eBay you will see i have a 100% satisfaction for selling.  I listed over a dozen pairs of luxury shoes this year and , as always, told you a bit of how and where and who they saw on my travels.  SO much fun and so many folks were helped by the work I did in my real life.

Im sorry to go.  I spent 3 weeks getting the shoes ready.  Now, I will donate them to a charity that helps women recover from addiction.  

At my age (dont dare ask a woman her age, so uncouth) I have some years on my timeline, but I am past the 12 hours day.  So I leave you with this:   lead with kindness to all, bc you never know what burdens they may carry.   Thank you all so much and I wish you health, joy and love 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: My Buyers

" how did you manage to get your PayPal account without giving them your bank account and SS#? I didn't know that could be done. I would be interested in how it's done."

I think as long as you kept the money in PayPal some of that information was not asked for. If you wanted to attach and transferer to checking or savings account from PP, then it was needed. 

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@tdrake wrote:

Since you say above, "Today I am really sad to learn that I must use my bank account to sell my shoes. I do not share that with anyone",  how did you manage to get your PayPal account without giving them your bank account and SS#? I didn't know that could be done. I would be interested in how it's done.

I can't speak for the OP but I established a Paypal account last year that I fund with my credit card. I didn't give them my bank account or SSN. I don't use it to receive funds though. I only use it to make payments.  Mostly paying coworkers for new baby/retirement gift collections. 

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@djvp53 wrote:

@tdrake wrote:

Since you say above, "Today I am really sad to learn that I must use my bank account to sell my shoes. I do not share that with anyone",  how did you manage to get your PayPal account without giving them your bank account and SS#? I didn't know that could be done. I would be interested in how it's done.

I can't speak for the OP but I established a Paypal account last year that I fund with my credit card. I didn't give them my bank account or SSN. I don't use it to receive funds though. I only use it to make payments.  Mostly paying coworkers for new baby/retirement gift collections. 

And there's the difference.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

Have you ever written a check? Have you ever been paid by direct deposit? Then you've given it out. 

But at least you know who you gave it out to….

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@djvp53 wrote:

@tdrake wrote:

As a SELLER I established mine back in the day to both send and receive funds.  I'm not going to say I was the 1st seller to get PayPal, but I got my account early enough that they were still paying out $10 each for every successful referral. Since before eBay was "PayPal" only.  It is my opinion that since the OP was selling stuff on eBay more than a year ago based on her feedback, then her PayPal account is hooked to a bank account.  I MAY BE WRONG, what I really want to know, as I also sais, is where these people go where they don't have to give their SS# and banking info (aside those that allow PayPal but then again see above). All these people speak of moving to the promised land but never divulge where they get those good terms.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I am really sad to learn that I must use my bank account to sell my shoes. I do not share that with anyone.  

Correction: you must use A bank account to sell your shoes. It does not have to be your own private family account (and it makes more sense if it is not). You can open another account with any bank or credit union offering fee-free on-line checking and you are good to go. It makes things SO much easier at tax time when you have a separate checking account for Ebay business. Plus if Ebay messes things up in any way then your family funds cannot be touched. 

And yes - your bank routing number and checking account number are on every check to every recipient you ever paid. Any problems so far with your existing account?

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Do you really know who you gave it to? Let say you use it for direct deposit for your wages. Do you know who your employers has to give it to?

Most likely your companies bank will get. Someone in HR will see it. Your employers payroll processor like Paychex, ADP, and etc will get.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

And yes - your bank routing number and checking account number are on every check to every recipient you ever paid. Any problems so far with your existing account?

There's a discernible difference between a bank routing number (which is public information and can be found anywhere online for any bank) and a checking account number being on a check versus giving an entity access to that account.

While it's a requirement of Managed Payments, I can understand why people aren't thrilled with the concept. Look at all the sellers who have posted about outrageous FedEx/UPS shipping fees being unexpectedly debited from the accounts they use for Managed Payments. Not too long ago, there was a thread about a seller being whacked with a $1,200 FedEx debit--and there's little or nothing they can do about it.

At least if someone misuses the information on a personal check (which, BTW, does not include a Social Security number), they can be pursued for criminal acts, and the bank may protect the accountholder. (Not to imply eBay is misusing the information.)

I agree the information required by Managed Payments is standard for any number of other entities; however, to suggest it's the same as writing a check is disingenuous at bet.

Again, individuals should be given an opportunity to accept or decline these terms before being allowed to list and sell on eBay. Period.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

I'm sure your SS# and banking information is very safe.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Just open a new bank account at another bank and only keep a small amount of money in it. Ta da problem solved. 

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

I'm sure your SS# and banking information is very safe.

Online entities that have my banking information--at least the ones I can think of at the moment:

1. my electricity provider
  2. my natural gas provider
  3. my telephone company
  4. my refuse hauler
  5. my car insurance company
  6. my health insurance company
  7. my homeowner's insurance company
  8. my credit card company

A number of other online sites have my credit card information stored wherever.

Online entities that have my banking information and my social security number:

1. my bank
  2. my investment advisor firm
  3. the Social Security Administration
  4. PayPal
  5. the IRS
  6. my state's Department of Revenue
  7. my county's Treasurer's Office
  8. my state's/county's Department of Motor Vehicles

Why would that same information be any more vulnerable on eBay's site than any of the above?

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Sorry you cannot give your information to transfer money from buyers into your bank account. Yes, you cannot sell without doing it that way. The days of getting checks and money orders ended 20 years ago.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@doc-holmes wrote:

Have you ever written a check? Have you ever been paid by direct deposit? Then you've given it out. 

But at least you know who you gave it out to….

No you don't. Do you know how many people look at your check after you pass it off? Do you know everyone in accounting at your employer who sees your bank info? 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

I agree.  Like the OP  I am also a bit paranoid about giving out banking information - never used an ATM or had a debit card.  I have always had a separate bank account for online sales even when checks were permitted and  Paypal was in favor.   I limit the amount that I keep in that account as I have with my Paypal account.    

I also have a separate household bank account, but have never been required to give that information to any utility or insurance company - since  I pay everything by check or credit card I assume they could access the information.    I don't do any online banking - other than direct deposit from Social Security. 

I have a third account at a different bank for tax related payments such as taxes, medical expense, and contributions which makes it easier to gather info for the tax man every year. 

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

You must have a bank account into which eBay can deposit the money from your sales.  Since you should never commingle your personal funds with your business funds, you should have a separate account just for eBay, anyhow.  Many banks offer free checking accounts, so expense is not an issue, either.  So, frankly, I am baffled by your post. 

Still, I'm sure the charity will be glad to get the items you were going to sell here.  So long and happy trails wherever they lead you.  I

-

Message 30 of 37
latest reply