cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple non-paying bidder still on ebay

I just sold an item. I look at the buyers feedback and many sellers (15+) have said this buyer did not pay for items. Why is this person still allowed to buy on ebay? Sellers aren't allowed to leave negative feedback ( which I find ridiculous) so it looks like the person has all positive reviews. I thought Ebay would suspend these bidders if they have too many non paying bids. So frustrating. I'm pretty sure I won't get paid and now I have to wait to relist. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a non paying buyer a couple years back, and after the required waiting period was up, I filed a claim. I wanted to leave neg feedback but could not. Ebay told me the case was closed. I kept pressing the issue and was finally told that a buyer is allowed 5 non payment claims before any action is taken. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@micholc wrote:

I just sold an item. I look at the buyers feedback and many sellers (15+) have said this buyer did not pay for items. Why is this person still allowed to buy on ebay? Sellers aren't allowed to leave negative feedback ( which I find ridiculous) so it looks like the person has all positive reviews. I thought Ebay would suspend these bidders if they have too many non paying bids. So frustrating. I'm pretty sure I won't get paid and now I have to wait to relist. 

Make sure you wait out the timeline to allow e-Bay to cancel this order and strike this Buyer.  You do wonder how it is some of these Buyers amass the UPIs they have and still be allowed to Buy on the platform.  

Still think some Sellers get impatient, want to relist quicker and do not follow-thru with the UPI process so the buyer gets the strike - if you use buyer cancelled, there is no strike to the Buyer.  Sellers need to be more diligent so that it does count.  (and my Buyer blocked/could not buy list is proof it does work - there were 4-5 more on there this week that could not buy due to strikes.  Yay.)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Two reasons, 1. Sellers not cancelling transactions for non payment and 2. Sellers not blocking buyers with two or more Strikes.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Every one of those sellers that left negative wording for their buyer in feedback, are in violation of eBay rules.   

There are tools to report a non-buying buyer to recover your final value fee, block feedback from being left by either parties, allow you to relist with no concern about having two buyers pay for the same item.

Follow the rules and file the unpaid item report when you, if you do not have that option listed to be automatically done by eBay.

Do not get yourself in trouble by following masses that are violating eBay policy by leaving negatively worded feedback....

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I look at the buyers feedback and many sellers (15+) have said this buyer did not pay for items.Why...

Because those 15+ sellers were too stupid to open a Dispute, get their FVF back, and hit the deadbeat with Strikes.

Instead they posted negative feedback, which is asking for a Defect and has been for about a decade.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

EBay doesn't say how many Strikes a member can get before having his buying account(s) closed down, nor should they.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

In the old days of PayPal, eBay got their Final Value Fees if the buyer paid or not. It was up to the seller to report the buyer for nonpayment in order to get those fees credited back from eBay. 

Now that eBay is managing the payment, there are no FVFees until the item is paid for.

eBay is losing money now, when items go unpaid.

They have shortened the time for the process. They have been cancelling transactions and issuing strikes as quickly as 96 hours after the listing ended.

I’m not sure if the 96hour (4 day) automatic strike is for all transactions/listings/sellers that had previously set the process to automatic or if eBay is doing it automatically until/unless the seller has set the new system to their own liking. 

@micholc 

Stay on top of sold listings. If eBay hasn’t cancelled automatically, you can do it anytime after the 96th hour. You do not have to communicate your intentions with the bidder. 
You can also set it up to automatically issue a strike to any and all nonpayers at a time that works for you. Just be sure to do it before the 32nd day. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

But my question is why is this buyer still able to bid at all with all those non payer marks against them.  Never mind, I just saw some  answers above. 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@micholc wrote:

But my question is why is this buyer still able to bid at all with all those non payer marks against them.  Never mind, I just saw some  answers above. 

Feedback comments are not “non-payment marks”.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a non paying buyer a couple years back, and after the required waiting period was up, I filed a claim. I wanted to leave neg feedback but could not. Ebay told me the case was closed. I kept pressing the issue and was finally told that a buyer is allowed 5 non payment claims before any action is taken. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Sorry, but that is not true, the only way to stop a non paying bidder is to set your own preferences, and eBay do most certainly not restrict a serial non payer after 5 strikes which is why the blocking system is there for seller's to use.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Because they have no Strikes.

They can go on bidding, winning and never paying as long as that amuses them.

Deadbeats only get Strikes from losing Disputes.

Also, the easiest way to avoid deadbeats is to stop using Auction listings.

Not only are Auctions now less than 15% of eBay listings, but they have ten times as many Unpaids.

Use Fixed Price. You can even, if you wish, add Immediate Payment Required.

Your items will stay visible and saleable for 30 days or until someone actually pays for them.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really?  Who are you to say it's not true? Do you write policy for ebay?  That is exactly what I was told!  I don't make stuff up. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Really?  Who are you to say it's not true? Do you write policy for ebay?  That is exactly what I was told!  I don't make stuff up. 

No one said you made it up. But that doesn’t mean it’s accurate. eBay CSRs are very poorly informed about eBay policies, and will often make things up just to get a person off the phone.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

You were given incorrect information, there is no cut off for 5 strikes, which is why we have a blocked buyer facility.

You can stop purchases from buyers with more than two unpaid item cancellations using your “Buyer management” preferences. Buyers with excessive cancellations for “Buyer hasn't paid” reason may be suspended for abusive buying practices.”

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

The “masses” are the only ones alerting the honest community of possible issues with dishonest buyers/ sellers. After all EBay does absolutely nothing with reporting them via the system otherwise you would not have hundreds of Ebayers with positive feedback with negative comments. This is supposed to be a community by helping others and more so the host (Ebay) has the power and tools to keep it honest. Since when do we start accepting mediocrity as the norm. Yes I can block buyers that have let’s say two unpaid violations in the past month but hey I’ve got an idea how about removing them from the system! Yours is not the only reply that tote’s this line that everything is ok it the guy that got screwed fault. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply