cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum order size for certain items?

One of the differences that I see with creating my own website is that I can block any sales below $25, therefore I can price items at a better cost without worrying that someone will come along and buy a $2 item with free shipping.

Of course I don't have any sales on a website so I make a recommendation to eBay to let people set a minimum order size for certain items (instead of store wide etc).

I believe that with this implementation that smaller sellers would be able to price certain items at truer price, and also better compete with large stores that seemingly sell below cost

When buying video games some people opt for free shipping only but other people can see value in paying for shipping and creating deals by purchasing lots they create themselves.  This would help that I think 

Probably like anything this would confuse the search just a thought

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Minimum order size for certain items?

@retrogames10000 You can set up a promotion to offer free shipping for combined purchases over $25 if that helps and you can select which categories of items you want it to apply to.  But you must set up a shipping cost on the individual litems in case they don't spend enough.  You can't stop them from buying less than that ... they just need to spring for the shipping if that's what they really want.   

Go here:  https://www.ebay.com/sh/mkt/promotionmanager/dashboard and create a shipping discount.

whitewaterford_0-1713101500623.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No you can't have a minimum order.  You can have a minimum starting price for auctions.

There is also the option of a reserve price but that is an extra fee.  I don't suggest using it.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Just set a buy it now listing up with how many you would sell for $25.00 .............

Example 5 items for $25.00.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

One of the differences that I see with creating my own website is that I can block any sales below $25, therefore I can price items at a better cost without worrying that someone will come along and buy a $2 item with free shipping.

Why would you even offer a $2 item with free shipping in the first place?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:
Why would you even offer a $2 item with free shipping in the first place?

Anticipation of multiple sales and combined shipping to the same buyer would be my guess.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

That is the point, you can't offer an item for $2 and free shipping that costs $5 to ship.

You could though if you set a minimum order size.  Just another tool in the toolbelt..

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

That is the point, you can't offer an item for $2 and free shipping that costs $5 to ship.

You could though if you set a minimum order size.  Just another tool in the toolbelt..

We already do, it's called small wholesale lots which consist of a few (2 or more) of those $2 items.

I have quite a few listings of that sort, because it's not feasible to sell just one...

The trick is finding the buyer's sweet spot, for example buyers might buy 5 lightbulbs but they won't buy 100, however if I am selling washers then they might buy 25 or 50 or 100 of those and they likely would stay away from buying only 2. 
Also if the buyer is willing, you can most certainly sell a $2 item for $10 on ebay.

They have to understand you need to cover your costs, $10 shipped to the door or they can go to the store and buy it for $2 (after using a car that also costs money to drive, plus the time).

I think we're just reinventing the wheel?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Sellers decide the pricing of their items here..  If you don't want to sell stuff for less than $25, then don't price anything below that amount.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

Then sell the items in $25 lots.  We don't need more rules.  We have far more than anyone could possibly desire right now.  Some sellers just need a better understanding of how to sell their products.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You can bundle cheap items.

You can set a starting price for Auctions (less than 15% of listings)

You can set a Fixed Price listing price.

With Best Offer you can set an automatic refusal of Offers you consider too low.

So why are you trying to tell buyers they are not allowed to buy from you?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like the wrong direction for eBay to implement policy for such a trivial amount.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Just a thought........double/triple, etc the price of each $2 item w free shipping......presumably Cd's or the like, then put all on "sale"......using the "Buy 6/7/8 etc  get 50%/70% off" (to your minimum price) sale option........never know what that type of sale is called. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@retrogames10000 You can set up a promotion to offer free shipping for combined purchases over $25 if that helps and you can select which categories of items you want it to apply to.  But you must set up a shipping cost on the individual litems in case they don't spend enough.  You can't stop them from buying less than that ... they just need to spring for the shipping if that's what they really want.   

Go here:  https://www.ebay.com/sh/mkt/promotionmanager/dashboard and create a shipping discount.

whitewaterford_0-1713101500623.png

Message 13 of 13
latest reply