cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Training manual flagged for ITAR policy

Our community's  interpretation of the ITAR policy seems unfair and not the same for all. Recently attempted to list a US Navy Training manual. Was prevented listing of the item under ITAR policy by Ebay. There are similar manuals listed in Ebay, the publication is available through other sources and online as a PDF. It carries no classification. I provided feedback on this issue with Ebay online chat. They state ITAR Policy and that it classed as an item that would cause risk to the community. It is a book. Other Ebay listing have military pdfs on ordinance etc. I realize that this is their interpretation of a complex policy. Wondering if anyone has similar items flagged or your opinion on this.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I just plain avoid listing such on eBay these days: it is simpler.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

thanks, appreciated that someone responded . I don't expect to change policy of Ebay , it's not perfect and I imagine that they have their work cut out for them when it comes to conforming to a  policy that's  beyond their control.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

eBay policy enforcement has never been accurate, complete, or timely. 

But a quick reading of eBay's Military Items policy (which prohibits "items for military use only" and "user manuals for military items") makes it pretty clear to me that they do want military training manuals being sold on their site. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

It all comes down to the wrong keyboard comando seeing your listing, and then you are permanently marked... 

Years ago I had a harmless, legal, small rifle part listed that tons of other people were also selling with no problem. I got flagged, my item was deleted and I was threatened with deletion of my account, I informed the ebay stooge that I actually managed to contact about all the other listings for sale and they didn't care. 

I found out there was simply a single word in my listing they didn't like and that if I attempted to relist it without the unaproved word, they would be "watching" and I would be deleted. 

I've never even thought about trying to sell anything remotely similar on ebay since.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

While it is frustrating to see other similar items listed on ebay, that does not mean they are SUPPOSED to be listed. Eventually a lot of that stuff is found and removed though some of it never is.

The best thing to keep in mind though when listing is if something is pulled or won't go up for one reason or another, don't try to get around anything and list it anyone, or relist something that has been pulled. Ebay will take swift action against you and you will probably have no recourse.

Good luck

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Think of it like a speeding ticket. You were the one who got caught. So saying the others were speeding too, is no defense. It only matters what you do. The others will get pulled over eventually if they keep breaking the law (rules).

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

yes I understand

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

yes I realize that this is an Ebay issue of their policy and I am abiding by it.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Yep totally correct, laws and regulations are made but you can only expect them to be partially enforced. Maybe I should be  considering being  a more defensive person and pay attention to safeguarding my own self, personal belongings and family members rather than selling my stuff online.  Or hire an army of lawyers.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Military manuals are not legal to be sold. Yes, I know this makes no sense, as anyone can buy them at flea markets, yard sales, and surplus stores. 

Laws on the books say military manuals can NOT be sold and are the property of the US government. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I have an army manual from the 1930s about how to manage the accounting for recreation centers that I can't list because of that policy. Just imagine what our enemies  could do with that information!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:

I have an army manual from the 1930s about how to manage the accounting for recreation centers that I can't list because of that policy. Just imagine what our enemies  could do with that information!

I suspect the whole point of having the policy is to avoid having to hire people to manually review listings and make judgement calls. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@carolynnq wrote:

I suspect the whole point of having the policy is to avoid having to hire people to manually review listings and make judgement calls. 

I agree that ebay employees aren't the best people to make judgement calls about certain listings, but it seems like manuals published before a certain date should be permissible to list.  Is there any military manual older than 50 years that would have information that would damage our national security?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Can anyone cite "laws on the books" specifics ?  Another manual I have listed and did not get flagged indicates that it was for sale from the government printing office . I have seen publications marked " property of the US government"  but  it's like old telephone equipment marked  "property of Bell System" .  Our eBay overlords are being cautious to avoid any violations  that they and the seller could be subject to.  IMO. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply