cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media mail

Media mail cannot have advertising per the post office regulations.  I was told by my post office they were going to start cracking down on this.  Do others not know of the regulation, because they are mailing magazines w/ads via media mail.  I can't compete with them, as I don't want the Feds down on me or ebay......heck, they might send the Internal Rev after me next!!!! Joking of course, I do pay my taxes.

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Media mail

@sandiegolinda  Below is the most recent Media Mail explanation I found earlier this year even though it is dated for 2008 it was off the USPS web site.  What is NOT on that list BUT we confirmed with the local Post Office is that LPs, 45s, 33s and 78s (records) qualify as Media Mail ... their description reflects newer mediums like CDs and DVDs.  I think what the USPS is really after is the violators who ship items that are absolutely not Media ... like clothing items you can fold and pack to look like a book box or something like that.  One of the clerks said they had a Media Mail package once that rattled ... so they opened it (shipper was NOT present) and found a book but also a small board game ... they relabled it postage due and sent it on its way.  We've advised them that they are more then welcome to open any package we ship BUT we absolutely must be present to insure that when it is resealed it does NOT look tampered with because Buyers can claim it was tampered with and we could lose the item and our money ... they were surprised with that but took it to heart.

Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

• Books (at least 8 pages).
  • Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
  • Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
  • Printed music.
  • Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
  • Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
  • Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
  • Printed educational reference charts.
  • Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance

with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items may be found in DMM 173.3.2.

Notice 121

July 2008

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 61 of 97
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to state how long you have been on Ebay,

Possibly to relay that in all the years she has been on eBay she has not seen any change in the rules for advertising in media mail?  In that case, it would make a difference if it were 1999 or say, 2015 or another more recent year.  Because it means the rules have not changed in a long time.  Nothing to do with who has been here longer.

In my (slightly lesser) years of staying informed on media mail regs I also have seen no change in the DMM on age of advertising in media mail.

Since the DMM is a federal document any changes must be recorded.  Likely those records could be found going back for years, if not decades.

@muttlymob

Maybe so, but why?  I post with my selling ID.  All they had to do was look and they can see if I'm an experienced Ebayer and/or how long I've been here.  I never assume when someone uses a posting ID that they aren't a seasoned seller.  That would be silly.  Some people are just more comfortable being anonymous.  

Whether I'm right or I'm wrong about the DMM, it really doesn't matter.  It has no bearing on what we deal with today.   If it makes things better or smoother on this thread, just disregard my remarks pertaining to it.  I just don't think it is a big deal.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 97
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:
 ... I'm not sure why you felt the need to state how long you have been on Ebay ... .

Because you said, "There use to be, a long time ago" and I wanted to clarify how long ago I started shipping eBay stuff, including books and magazines.

I never questioned how long you have been on Ebay.

Message 63 of 97
latest reply

Sound recordings in any format can be sent via Media Mail. The content does not have to be "educational." This includes vinyl records, piano rolls, CD's and DVD's.

However, CD's that contain only images (no sound) are not eligible for Media Mail. Of course, they are easily sent via First Class Mail -- possibly even as a non-machinable letter up to 3.5 oz.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 64 of 97
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
Well dvds & CDs CAN ship MM and most of those wouldn't be considered 'educational" in the USPS sense.

The word "educational" is a very subjective word.  

I ask this because I'm not aware of the answer: Does USPS define Educational?  If so, what is their definition.

All the pattern books I sell that have a minimum of 8 pages are eligible for MM because they are deemed educational.  Reading books can be educational as they help you to learn to read, read better, etc.  There is a broad range of ways to define "educational".

You may be right, I'm just wondering if you can direct us to USPS's definition of the word.

Message 65 of 97
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

The Media Mail rules about advertising and periodicals have been in place for decades -- even when the class of mail was Book Rate and later Special 4th Class Book Rate. Old or new, periodicals are not allowed. No recent changes. I have been actively selling books and other publications since 1987 -- the rules are still the same.

I think you are confusing Media Mail eligibility with eBay's rules about selling CURRENT catalogs or directories from which products still can be ordered. Consumer magazines, even those published this year, are not part of this eBay directive because the magazine publisher is not selling the advertised products.

Oh, and many small books and magazines -- with or without advertising -- can be sent via First Class Mail - Parcel and First Class Package Service. Maximum weights are 13 oz. and 15.999 oz., respectively. Usually, a club or church-produced recipe book weighs less than 1 lb., as do booklets or pamphlets of any kind.

~~C~~

No, as I've said a few times.  What I said has nothing to do with what is currently going on with Ebay and/or USPS.

With that said, yet again, I apologize for the concern I quite obviously caused some of the posters.  Please just consider me wrong and move on.  It just isn't worth all this.  It has nothing to do with anything that has happened here or with USPS in years.  It is a non issue, so just ignor what I said please.

There are too many things to list that can ship FCP.  Pretty much anything can ship FCP if it qualifies in weight and size.  It isn't restricted like MM is.

Message 66 of 97
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

@buyselljack2016 And you as well as everybody else can try to justify your abuse of the system all that you want. But the simple FACT of the matter is what I've already said:

"Sorry, But rules are rules! You can try to justify bending or breaking them, but it still doesn't fly!!!"

That's a Fact! And it's as simple as that!

BTW, perhaps the next time that you wish to ship one of your basement dweller video games, perhaps you should take it to the post office and inform them of the contents prior to purchasing your postage and tell them that you wish to ship Media Mail. LOL....... That would be funny!

The rules that you defend are your interpretation.

I understand that video game do not qualify, just as blank recording materials do not qualify.

I have a pretty good working knowledge of how things work. May not be up on all the latest happenings, but  I have a pretty good handle on things.

As a retired USPS employee I do not need to go ask the person at the Post Office about much of anything. Many small Post Offices are now staffed by employees with only a basic understanding of what they should be doing, so I would not even go to ask a question.

Message 67 of 97
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:
 ...  We've advised them that they are more then welcome to open any package we ship BUT we absolutely must be present to insure that when it is resealed it does NOT look tampered with  ... they were surprised with that but took it to heart.

Or they pretended to.  Media Mail can be inspected whenever a USPS employee feels like it.  Senders can't put any restrictions on that.  And you certainly have no control over inspections after your package leaves your local PO.  Some PO's with chronic problems will open all MM packages, or even insist that they be brought to the counter unsealed.

If you want protection against evident "tampering", then have your packages inspected when you ship them before sealing them.  POs are supposed to have a rubber-stamp that indicates that a package has been inspected and found eligible, so nobody farther along the line bothers.

Message 68 of 97
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@stonevintage wrote:
 ... companies but they've been out of business ...spiral bound church and local community "typed" cookbooks (fund raisers) - many have old local advertising on the backs,... magazines from the 50's... There seems to be no type of date cutoff line for allowance on these?

There are absolutely no exeptions to the "no advertising" rule.  The oft-linked chart for staff further clarifies it: old doesn't matter.

There use to be, a long time ago.  I suspect that was changes in about 2013, but I'm not sure.  There use to be a time that you could ship OLD magazines with advertisement via MM.  But you needed to be sure that all the ads were out of date or invalid anymore.  Mags from the 50's was an easy period to assume they were all inactive ads.  As we know, now there are no exceptions.

Never, in all the time I've been selling on ebay, have you been able to send magazines by Media Mail. When I started selling them in 1999 I had my Postmaster check to be sure and the answer was definitely "they do not qualify. Send them by Bound Printed Matter" and that is what I did until they made BPM a permit only based mailing option.

Message 69 of 97
latest reply

@sandiegolinda wrote:

Media mail cannot have advertising per the post office regulations.  I was told by my post office they were going to start cracking down on this.  Do others not know of the regulation, because they are mailing magazines w/ads via media mail.  I can't compete with them, as I don't want the Feds down on me or ebay......heck, they might send the Internal Rev after me next!!!! Joking of course, I do pay my taxes.

@sandiegolinda

They have been for years. I have had a few packages opened and checked. Not sure why your post office says they are going to "start" cracking down. Also just because some do it does not make it OK. Some get caught, some don't just like speeding.

Message 70 of 97
latest reply

First of all I doubt that most post offices have the staffing to open media mail packages to check and see if they contain magazines that have advertising in them.    I pack my media mail items carefully in plastic bags to prevent water damage, and certainly don't want some postal inspector unpacking an item and not taking the time to re-pack it properly.   It is one of the biggest reasons I don't ship items internationally that have to go through customs inspection. 

I'd rather the post office concentrate on eliminating items other than printed material that is being illegally shipped media mail - something a machine could do like at the airport. 

Message 71 of 97
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@variety_nook wrote:

@buyselljack2016 And you as well as everybody else can try to justify your abuse of the system all that you want. But the simple FACT of the matter is what I've already said:

"Sorry, But rules are rules! You can try to justify bending or breaking them, but it still doesn't fly!!!"

That's a Fact! And it's as simple as that!

BTW, perhaps the next time that you wish to ship one of your basement dweller video games, perhaps you should take it to the post office and inform them of the contents prior to purchasing your postage and tell them that you wish to ship Media Mail. LOL....... That would be funny!

The rules that you defend are your interpretation.

I understand that video game do not qualify, just as blank recording materials do not qualify.

I have a pretty good working knowledge of how things work. May not be up on all the latest happenings, but  I have a pretty good handle on things.

As a retired USPS employee I do not need to go ask the person at the Post Office about much of anything. Many small Post Offices are now staffed by employees with only a basic understanding of what they should be doing, so I would not even go to ask a question.

Video games do qualify if they are in disc format.

Message 72 of 97
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:
 ... I understand that video game do not qualify, just as blank recording materials do not qualify.....

Video games do qualify if they are in disc format.

No. There was a surprising USPS ruling, several years ago.  No video games, regardless of format.

"In conclusion, video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail."

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

Message 73 of 97
latest reply

"Also just because some do it does not make it OK".......to set the record straight, I did  NOT say it was okay!  So you might want to lighten up and enjoy the day 🙂   There is so much negativity and nit-picking on this board, why is that?  And please, don't send a note back that nit-picking isn't a word or some such nonsense.  I mean, who really cares.  Too busy for all this. 

Message 74 of 97
latest reply

I'm using the Priority Regional Rate boxes for magazine lots as long as they fit and stay under the maximum allowed weight.

Message 75 of 97
latest reply