cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Issue with UNPAID Buyers?

So this year, 2023, I've decided to add "Make an Offer" on nearly all my items I can take somewhat of a discount on. I've had 80%+ offers made near or below 50 cents on the dollar and those that I do accept, 80% don't pay. Is this an issue with everyone? Is make an offer really worth it, given that extra time to deal/respond with low-ballers and non-paying bidders? Maybe I should remove make an offer all together, but the only alternative I can think is to set buyer requirements to block all buyers who have received 2 or more unpaid item strikes in 12 months via this link: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerRequirements

Thoughts/Comments?

-Christine

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

FYI, Adding "make offer" to your listings will only INCREASE the number of buyers who don't pay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Sounds like a logical move, however some seller's don't have it automated where the transaction closes out after 4 days of a buyer not paying. Thus, some sellers are stuck with the final value fee billed to their accounts, and anything where eBay can make a few extra bucks will always be in their best interest.

Think about how long "make an offer" option has been introduced on ebay. I've thought about this idea the very same day that make an offer was introduced. A payment method should be charged immediately after making the offer, if accepted would simply be billed immediately on your card or PayPal. They won't change it unless they have to. eBay has been cannibalized by other platforms such as Amazon and Poshmark. They will only change to adapt with the trend setters. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@atx-liquidators wrote:

... some sellers are stuck with the final value fee billed to their accounts, and anything where eBay can make a few extra bucks will always be in their best interest.

No final value fees are charged unless they pay.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I've had 80%+ offers made near or below 50 cents on the dollar

You can set up Best Offer to auto-decline offers that are below a threshold.

and those that I do accept, 80% don't pay

That is one of the drawbacks to Best Offers and Auctions.

Is this an issue with everyone?

It is a well known issue, but not for everyone.

Is make an offer really worth it

That is a value judgement that only you can make.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Boy I'm new to all this EBay and selling things and I'm seeing this issue now for the 1st time.  This seems unfair to seller.

I have to wait 4 days to were no one can see this product I'm selling 

unless they pay up.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

EBay has an option sellers can setup in their account settings that will help with the non-paying offerors/bidders. It does however come with tradeoff's to include the inability to combine shipping and potentially some buyer adversion. It may still be in the pilot/test phase but will probably become standard policy at some point. In your account settings under selling preferences edit the following

dbfolks166mt_0-1699846011566.png

Near the bottom you will find two boxes one for auctions and one for offers. Check the box regarding the offers and auctions if you wish. This pretty much turns the transaction into auto/instant payment once the offer has been finalized. 

dbfolks166mt_1-1699846122813.png

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Make An Offer is an invitation for some buyers to see how little they can buy an item for.

I use the auto rejection and acceptance capability, and get paid.

But I get offers when I have not enabled Make an Offer.

The usually are reasonable when they are my repeat buyers making the offer, but they are usually way too low from buyers I have not dealt with.

Many of those buyers are blocked after the message. I never enter into a negotiation. And I hate when they tell me about the defects I noted in the listing and considered in my pricing.

Had an accident, somehow Ebay turned on Make an Offer on 20 similar listings. Sure enough I got an insulting offer within an hour of listing. I made a modest counteroffer and of course the cheapskate disappeared. I bulk edited those 20 listings to remove Make An Offer.

Similar items were of uninteresting subjects which are worth less and this turkey did not understand the reason there were no similar subjects was because they were sold (for more).

Message 22 of 22
latest reply