cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2019 Policy Change -- Forced “Good Til Canceled”

eBay's new policy to force users to use "Good Til Canceled" is one of the worst decisions eBay has made in the last 10 or 15 years.  An EcommerceBytes survey conducted earlier this month states that 72% of those who responded think it is a BAD IDEA.  I guess we will find out if eBay cares what its customers think...  Hello Amazon?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: March 2019 Policy Change -- Forced “Good Til Canceled”

You can't rely on Ebay. Its not a pleasurable experience. Its in constant flux. 

This is myiggest complaint - It just isn't fun anymore now it is just another job. 

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

I agree!

Sellers of fixed price items know that most serious buyers sort items by choosing "newly listed" or "ending soonest" when browsing for something of interest. Therefore, economic success depends upon the ability to spin higher priced items in shorter cycles AND THAT'S WHY I HAVE A PREMIUM STORE SUBSCRIPTION! Ahem... sorry to yell. Needless to say, my March numbers took a serious nose dive.

Sorry to throw barbs here, eBay, but this isn't the first time you've implemented changes that have seriously affected my growing little business. While you  might upon look me as a squeaky wheel and mere bottom feeder, the opinion of all sellers should matter to you, when it's constructive.

I truly think you should collect and take to heart all user opinion before you commit to any software changes. It only makes sense that the majority of common denominators will point the way to the path of least resistance toward success for all. In other words, a million heads are better than whoever is making some of your decisions. Every time I start making headway (February was one of my best months ever) you introduce another policy change that effects my operation in a way that stunts my growth.

I didn't purchase a Premium Store subscription so I could list 1,000 books. I purchased it so I could use my 1,000 fixed listing credits in a way that will generate the most money. To be clear, the kind of books I'd like to sell are hard to come by. Ideally, I would like to list books that are worth $50.00 dollars or more because I seriously discount them for resellers. But, those books are often difficult to obtain, so my inventory generally runs between 600 to 800 books, and, as I've already explained, I've been spinning the more expensive books on shorter cycles, which frees up greater amounts of cash to run my store while attracting more attention to it.

What do I do now that I have so many empty slots... fill them up with cheap books that take a lot of time and expense to acquire, list correctly and ship properly? No thanks. I started out doing that when my intention was to GROW. What's my incentive to get a larger store? I did that once upon a time, only to discover eBay had raised the price so high, I couldn't afford the transition. It was as if the third step in the normal progression had been raised so high you needed another step to reach it. How difficult is that to create for us. eBay?

Please print a newsletter that will tell us where you are trying to take us. Are we wasting our time here? It's not like I don' appreciate the opportunity you provide. I just have many, many questions related to the way you're going about it.

Message 47 of 67
latest reply

Ebay already "double-dips" with paypal. They send the entire amount to paypal for full fees then pull their 10% out after the end of the month. The 10% should legally be pulled BEFORE the paypal deposit. SCAM all the way around. Ebay is obviously still sleeping with paypal.

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

Just talked with eBay "live person" to register my objections to this policy change. She stated there have been lots of negative feedback. Take the time to call the 800# ... who knows it might help!!! Otherwise, I agree... may be leaving eBay hobby store.  

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

I called Ebay the other day to complain about this new policy----I suggest that everyone call/ write and bombard them with negative feedback. The customer service rep said that there has been a lot of negative feedback--very little positive.....so we need to keep up the pressure until a better market place comes along. I'm pushing harder now on Etsy.

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

Yep.  And I bet eBay's response to "lot's of negative feedback" will be: "Let's keep screwing the customers!"  They won't listen.  eBay does not care about it's sellers....

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

And Ebay continues to roll downhill at an exceeding pace. Between no seller protections with their forcing us to take returns from people who swap and scam us, to forcing us to use "Good Til Cancelled" tricking us into paying the listing fee. I'm lucky I caught them relisting my items! I went to list something and found that I'm almost out of listings this month already because of it. Oh Well...I guess I will explore selling on Amazon, Craigslist and other venues for now until Ebay kills itself with all their ridiculous policy changes.

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

The GTC Thing is Truly Sickening. 90% of My Sales for Years were on 7 Day Durations. my Business Worked. Let those Who Want GTC Use It and Let Us that want shorter Durations use that. Pretty Easy to Cater to all. Come On Ebay. People Cannot survive with a Couple Sales Here and There. It simply DOES NOT WORK for all Categories. 

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

I noticed they dropped the number of free listings included with my store subscription from 500 to 250.

Soooo, not only do I have to pay listing fees for half my listings now, they automatically relist after 30 days, generating ANOTHER listing fee.

You know things are not so great when they have to use sneaky underhanded methods to increase earnings.

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

I THINK IT IS TIME FOR ALL OF US TO CONTACT EBAY AND LET THEM KNOW THIS GTC IS NOT WORKING!! I HAVEN'T SOLD ANYTHIN LAST WEEK AND I USUALLY SELL A THOUSAND DOLLARSS OR MORE WEEK! 

THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

I AGREE!! IT IS SICKENING!! MY SALES ARE DOWN SO LOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?? I AM THINKING ABOUT CLOSING MY STORE AND SELLING SOMEWHERE ELSE?? ANYONE HAVE OTHER IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

EBAY PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK BEFORE YOU LOOSE A LOT OF SELLERS THAT CAN'T MAKE A SALE BECAUSE OF THE GTC LISTINGS THAT DO NOT CREATE ANY URGENCY TO BUY IT NOW WHEN THEY CAN WAIT 30 DAYS!

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

I THINK THE SAME THING!! EBAY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE SELLERS!! MY SALES ARE SO FAR DOWN I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO? I HAVE PUT THEM ON SALE AND LOWERED PRICES AS MUCH AS I CAN AND STILL NO SALES??
I HAVE 84 WATCHERS BUT NO URGENCY TO BUY IT NOW WHEN THEY HAVE 30 DAYS TO BUY IT!
Message 57 of 67
latest reply

Awful policy. Yesterday I ended 132 listings before they relisted. Only 2 sales and both buyers submitted best offers and I reluctantly agreed.    Ebay needs to change it. In the meantime folks list in bulk late at night and then end your ads 29 days to almost 30 days later. Relist when you want.

Message 58 of 67
latest reply

I HAVE HAD THE WORST FEW MONTHS WITH THIS NEW CHANGE!! EBAY PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!! ALMOST NO SALES LAST MONTH AGAIN!! I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD ON!!
Message 59 of 67
latest reply

I HAD OVER 100 WATCHER THIS MONTH AND ONLY SOLD A FEW CARS ALL MONTH LONG!! I AM GIVING THEM AWAY AT MY COST OR CLOSE TO IT AND STILL CAN'T SELL THEM?? NO URGENCY???
Message 60 of 67
latest reply