cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many purchases of same item, scam?

I have a buyer that bought 5 of the same item in 5 separate transactions, paying 5 separate shipping fees.  It is common for someone to buy 10 or more but in one transaction with one shipping charge.

When asked if there was an error, the buyer just states to ship what he paid for.  The account only has 7 positive reviews.

Is this a scam?  Why would someone want to overpay in shipping?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Many purchases of same item, scam?

Maybe they are one of the few not worried about money.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Are they all going to the same address, or five different addresses?

One thing you can always do is call ebay and say you have a security concern based on what you regard as odd buyer behavior of an account, and discuss it with them.  They know if tht account has had past issues and if they think theres an issue they would probably advise cancelling the order, and they would be doing some things behind the scenes as well.

Just ask, you are being diligent and you want ebay to be a secure safe place for all good buyers and sellers.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

If different addresses, he's probably drop shipping. If same address? Weird. Weird CC promo he's trying to take advantage of? *shrug*

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

They are all going to the same address.  Thanks, I’ll see if I can find a decent contact number for eBay.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I don't see a problem with it.

I'm the same way, if I buy a few items from one seller, it's a separate order for each item.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@meh-comics-collectibles 

Phone clerks are subcontractors.

Use these to reach employees

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's for returning the ones he doesn't want. Pick the best of 5 or best two and separately return the rest.

Not that he couldn't do that by combining them though.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Go through the help system and have them call you, your caller id will catch the number.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@meh-comics-collectibles wrote:

When asked if there was an error, the buyer just states to ship what he paid for.  The account only has 7 positive reviews.

Is this a scam?  Why would someone want to overpay in shipping?

He might just be clueless.

Do you have Immediate payment required on your listings? Maybe he thinks he has to buy each separately and has no clue about asking for combined shipping?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@meh-comics-collectibles 

Calling eBay will be a complete waste of time. 

You sold five items! That's great. Many sellers are struggling to sell that in a week.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Just a wild guess. It might be possible that this buyer is a forwarder who purchases items bound for overseas clients. Still odd.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I agree, the buyer purchased, paid and is now waiting for you to ship. I see no reason why wouldn't just treat these as 5 normal separate orders and send as requested (as the buyer has asked) .

Don't annoy your buyer by making them wait for an issue where there isnt one.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

It definitely sounds odd and reminds me of scammers using stolen credit card to charge numerous smaller transactions instead of a larger purchase.  

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I do have immediate payment required, but he could easily just up the quantity to 5.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply