cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MORE Ebay **bleep**

I've been selling vinyl records on Ebay for a long time now and now they come up with more **bleep** to add to listings................They want me to update my 4400 listings to include information which is already listed in the title of the listing...........The time involved would be ridiculous...........I've just spent over a half an hour trying to find the Ebay phone contact but evidently, sellers can't do that anymore as there I couldn't find it.......... I'm so tired of their nonsense and increasing fees.............When I first started the total fees were around 8%, now it's around 22% and the service is worse...................Any help regarding with these insane policies would be appreciated.........Thanks   

Elliot Yablun
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: MORE Ebay **bleep**

Have you ever wondered why its easy to find something on Amazon but a bit of a struggle to find things on eBay?  Its because eBay isnt as dictatorial as Amazon and leaves most of its listings up to the individual seller.  This however creates a very messy situation when sellers don't put things in the correct, searchable fields or when eBay adds fields to help buyers find product.

Putting info in the title is not something that is filterable...  eBay is trying to get you sales by making your things easier for a buyer to find.  eBay isn't doing that to **bleep** you off, but if you aren't making them money then you are losing them money by just taking up server space.

You have a bit of a mission ahead and I wish you luck!

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@jack-falstaff wrote:

Have you ever wondered why its easy to find something on Amazon but a bit of a struggle to find things on eBay?  Its because eBay isnt as dictatorial as Amazon and leaves most of its listings up to the individual seller.  This however creates a very messy situation when sellers don't put things in the correct, searchable fields or when eBay adds fields to help buyers find product.

Putting info in the title is not something that is filterable...  eBay is trying to get you sales by making your things easier for a buyer to find.  eBay isn't doing that to **bleep** you off, but if you aren't making them money then you are losing them money by just taking up server space.

While that is true, I'm in the same boat as the OP. Our BIG problem with this tedious task is that the ONLY two 'required' specifics are 'artist' and 'title' - two things that are ALWAYS in the listing 'title' already! What other general terms would a buyer use to look for a vinyl record? When they search for it, it will always come up because the information is in the 'title' not in the specifics.

Making us do this is a complete waste of time. Period.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@jack-falstaff wrote:

This is all true - unfortunately, when we went through this in the Fashion category, the taxonomy and migration was so skrooed up that it made things even harder to find.  The concept of 'discoverability' is great, but it needs to be backed up by some commonsense and industry knowledge - badly lacking in our case.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Its all about how people are searching using the side bar.  The title is not a simple click box so its not very filterable and relies on everyone using the same verbiage (which no one does).  So if I were buying Pink Floyd albums, for example, I could just click that box and all the Pink Floyd albums on eBay would populate.  If I wanted a new vinyl copy of the wall, I just click the boxes for Pink Floyd, New, and Vinyl.  All of that replaces crazy stuff sellers mash into the title which confuses the bujeesus out of an algorithm.  

That is what they are intending, and I get that.  I just don't know anyone who really shops that way.  I really only used those filters for 'new'.

I don't really endorse it eBay often falls into the trap of falling in love with their own coding as opposed to functionality.  After all... Who would wants to be an internet mechanic when you can have internet innovator on your resume.  The end result is that eBay puts new coats of paint on rust.  I get what they are trying to accomplish though.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Its a bunch of garbage in the sports cards to now put them as used as condition. Playing cards used yes for condition sports cards NO . The fools got this one wrong in SJ.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@jack-falstaff wrote:

Its all about how people are searching using the side bar.  The title is not a simple click box so its not very filterable and relies on everyone using the same verbiage (which no one does).  So if I were buying Pink Floyd albums, for example, I could just click that box and all the Pink Floyd albums on eBay would populate.  If I wanted a new vinyl copy of the wall, I just click the boxes for Pink Floyd, New, and Vinyl.  All of that replaces crazy stuff sellers mash into the title which confuses the bujeesus out of an algorithm.  

That is what they are intending, and I get that.  I just don't know anyone who really shops that way.  I really only used those filters for 'new'.

I don't really endorse it eBay often falls into the trap of falling in love with their own coding as opposed to functionality.  After all... Who would wants to be an internet mechanic when you can have internet innovator on your resume.  The end result is that eBay puts new coats of paint on rust.  I get what they are trying to accomplish though.

True, dat.

What they WANT to accomplish is laudable.  What they often end up doing makes everything worse.  

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 21
latest reply