cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAY 7 Paypal Policy Change - Looking for alternatives.

I've been selling on ebay for almost 2 decades and just about everything had been chipped away from sellers over that time. Paypal keeping the percentage of a sale that gets returned is straight robbery. I read through the other long post about the complaining going on about it. The only way to get someone to listen is to hit them in the wallet. As sellers, What are our alternatives for receiving payments? Is there any viable payment processor or are we just doomed at the moment?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: MAY 7 Paypal Policy Change - Looking for alternatives.

I know ebay is going to be offering 2.7% but they say nothing about how they will handle returns.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Unfortunately, if you want the convenience of selling on a large, established, 'full-service' platform, you will discover that many of them now find it to their 'financial' benefit to provide, or oversee, the payment processing.   Seldom will these platforms brook interference of 'outside' alternatives.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@calm-mix wrote:

Paypal keeping the percentage of a sale that gets returned is straight robbery.

When there is a completed payment and then a reversal, PayPal has to do more work than they would for a completed payment.

PayPal might argue that doing more and getting no fees is "straight robbery", too 🙂

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@calm-mix wrote:

When there is a completed payment and then a reversal, PayPal has to do more work than they would for a completed payment.

PayPal might argue that doing more and getting no fees is "straight robbery", too 🙂

Fine then charge a service fee to do it. That’s fair. Keeping the fees for a $5000 item as well as a $5.00 one is just wrong.

Or is there more work to reverse the charges on the $5000 one? 

How long till ebay touts the “industry standard” line and follows suit?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@calm-mix wrote:

Fine then charge a service fee to do it. That’s fair. Keeping the fees for a $5000 item as well as a $5.00 one is just wrong.

These companies keep giving me reasons not to list my higher priced merchandise. Their loss. 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@calm-mix wrote:

In my opinion there is more work?  Larger payments probably get some real eyes on them and paypal more than likely insures these payments in some way to limit there losses as well.

I get it that some seller work on very fine profit margins but if you really think about how often a refund happens and the total dollar amount annually that you refund, for me it is not that much.  So 2.9 % of that total does not amount to anything I worry about.

I also deduct these business expense on our business taxes as well. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

In my opinion there is more work?  Larger payments probably get some real eyes on them and paypal more than likely insures these payments in some way to limit there losses as well.

I get it that some seller work on very fine profit margins but if you really think about how often a refund happens and the total dollar amount annually that you refund, for me it is not that much.  So 2.9 % of that total does not amount to anything I worry about.

Good Luck Selling!

Possibly, but not too likely.  Computers and AI are replacing people, and online is more into it than in 'real life'. They don't have tellers at many banks any more.  Citibank doesn't take cash at many - most? - branches.  If you want to make a deposit, you do it in the outside ATM and get the printout with a facsimile of the the check on the receipt - all computer generated.  With online banking, how many people do you really think ever touch, see or think about any of the tens or hundred of billions of transactions, world-wide, on a daily basis?

There is a gold mine in keeping those 'service' fees that are processed  by electrons.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Paypal doesn't just pocket the 2.9% when you give a refund. They also pocket the 1 to 1.5% interchange fees that were part of the 2.9% they originally they original had to pay the visa/mastercard/discover/AMEX, but they themselves were refunded that fee when the refund was processed.

Granted, this will typically cost me about $45/year, but in 2017, I had a large transaction I had to refund (it was cheaper to ship out the $2,000 item and have the buyer test it to see if it was fully functional ($15 each way) than to purchase $5,000 worth of equipment to test it. So now it will cost not just the $30 shipping, but another $60 worth of transaction fees

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@calm-mix wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Please provide a link to anything that PP has said that leads you to believe they will be doing as you stated on larger purchases.  And how is a larger purchase defined?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@necessaryindulgencejewelry wrote:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Basics/Question-on-new-Refund-Policy-going-into-effect-Ma...

Yes, it is a thread on the PP site of some of the member being concerned like we are on this thread.  It says the same thing as I did in my opening post.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@calm-mix wrote:

I've been selling on ebay for almost 2 decades and just about everything had been chipped away from sellers over that time. Paypal keeping the percentage of a sale that gets returned is straight robbery. I read through the other long post about the complaining going on about it. The only way to get someone to listen is to hit them in the wallet. As sellers, What are our alternatives for receiving payments? Is there any viable payment processor or are we just doomed at the moment?

I don’t like that PayPal has done this, on a big $ return, it could really hurt. But rather than quit and go elsewhere, I’d look at your numbers. I got 1 return last year and it would have cost me $2 in the PayPal fees I didn’t get back. I’ve got enough business I can absorb that loss in the handling fee I charge on shipping. So I’m not going to worry about it at this point. 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

The Paypal policy change page for May 7th just disappeared completely .. not sure what this means.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@klickonline wrote:

The Paypal policy change page for May 7th just disappeared completely .. not sure what this means.

@klickonline 

Disappeared from where exactly?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Message 15 of 29
latest reply