cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAY 7 Paypal Policy Change - Looking for alternatives.

I've been selling on ebay for almost 2 decades and just about everything had been chipped away from sellers over that time. Paypal keeping the percentage of a sale that gets returned is straight robbery. I read through the other long post about the complaining going on about it. The only way to get someone to listen is to hit them in the wallet. As sellers, What are our alternatives for receiving payments? Is there any viable payment processor or are we just doomed at the moment?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@mam98031 wrote:

@klickonline wrote:

The Paypal policy change page for May 7th just disappeared completely .. not sure what this means.

@klickonline 

Disappeared from where exactly?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Strange, it's back now.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@klickonline wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@klickonline wrote:

The Paypal policy change page for May 7th just disappeared completely .. not sure what this means.

@klickonline 

Disappeared from where exactly?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Strange, it's back now.

It never left.  Maybe you just had a hiccup in your internet connection.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Paypal doesn't just pocket the 2.9% when you give a refund. They also pocket the 1 to 1.5% interchange fees that were part of the 2.9% they originally they original had to pay the visa/mastercard/discover/AMEX, but they themselves were refunded that fee when the refund was processed.

First, of all, ALL paypal could conceivably "pocket" wold be the 2.9% - the 1-1.5% is PART of that 2.9%.

Secondly, what makes you think the interchange fees are fully refunded?  Many processors do not refund fees when a refund is issued, and some actually charge additional fees for processing the refund.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

and some actually charge additional fees for processing the refund.

I am sure that will be next "enhancement". 

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

and some actually charge additional fees for processing the refund.

I am sure that will be next "enhancement". 

Amazon has done it for years.  They call it an administrative fee.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

a simple keystroke is the same amount of "WORK"  for a $5,000 item as it is for a $5.00 item!

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Hi, we are not just talking about returns, the immediate cancellations within a half hour of purchase by buyers has escalated enormously on this site starting a year and half ago. this is all money sellers have to refund and LOSE the Pay-Pal fees on. I asked a blue in yesterdays chat if ebay was going to OFFER any help with this specifically pertaining to the "Immediate Cancellations" by buyers and the basic gist of the answer was a big NO!

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Inflation, higher shipping costs every year, higher fees... I've seen a huge decline in sales just

from raising prices recently from the USPS increase. So sick and tired of being squeezed!

I get about 2 orders per day from people that change their mind and want to cancel right away.

I'm going to start printing labels more frequently to try and avoid this now.

I'd try ebays payment management system if I hadn't heard so many bad things about it causing sales to drop off a cliff. Unfortunately it looks like that won't be fully implemented until 2021. After this Paypal policy change, I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

Hi, we are not just talking about returns, the immediate cancellations within a half hour of purchase by buyers has escalated enormously on this site starting a year and half ago. this is all money sellers have to refund and LOSE the Pay-Pal fees on. I asked a blue in yesterdays chat if ebay was going to OFFER any help with this specifically pertaining to the "Immediate Cancellations" by buyers and the basic gist of the answer was a big NO!

There is always the possibility that non-refundable fees may be the pipeline for implementation here, as well.  That would be A LOT to add to the bottom line, considering the number of cancellations and returns on ebay.   In mid-May, it is beginning to appear that there may be a few significant changes - all around the 'net.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@public-direct wrote:

Inflation, higher shipping costs every year, higher fees... I've seen a huge decline in sales just

from raising prices recently from the USPS increase. So sick and tired of being squeezed!

I get about 2 orders per day from people that change their mind and want to cancel right away.

I'm going to start printing labels more frequently to try and avoid this now.

That should change with time.  It happens every year after the USPS increases.  Buyers need time to get use to the higher prices.  But soon they realize the cost is the same everywhere, not just here.

It is also a good reason to possibly consider doing Free Shipping.  Then they don't see the actual increase you have to do to cover your costs.  But they see your prices are in line with others.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Yes I usually expect some delay with customers getting used to the higher prices and other sellers catching up on raising prices but I would have expected that by now after a few months. I do have all "fast and free" listings as well. Just have to keep trying to adapt I guess.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I am sorry but I do not agree with your statement "that will change with time, buyers need to get used to the higher USPS shipping prices. I used to sell and ship a lot of "HEAVY" items cross country to the WEST coast as I live on the EAST coast and my sales HAVE NOT RECOVERED from the last 3 USPS rate increases dating back 3 years. I just don't sell anything heavy anymore because I believe buyers have HAD ENOUGH! I have a whole room full of USPS Priority boxes ranging from Regional A and B's to Large and Medium flats. I used to order these boxes 6 -7 times a year in bulk, Now I order one shipment and they sit unused! Everything I ship now is Media Mail, or 1st class, and it is not because I do not sell anything that weighs less than 2lbs.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

I am sorry but I do not agree with your statement "that will change with time, buyers need to get used to the higher USPS shipping prices. I used to sell and ship a lot of "HEAVY" items cross country to the WEST coast as I live on the EAST coast and my sales HAVE NOT RECOVERED from the last 3 USPS rate increases dating back 3 years. I just don't sell anything heavy anymore because I believe buyers have HAD ENOUGH! I have a whole room full of USPS Priority boxes ranging from Regional A and B's to Large and Medium flats. I used to order these boxes 6 -7 times a year in bulk, Now I order one shipment and they sit unused! Everything I ship now is Media Mail, or 1st class, and it is not because I do not sell anything that weighs less than 2lbs.

That is absolutely fine.  Maybe your experience is different than mine.  I respect yours.

For me, my buyers have gotten use to the change.  And since I'm still here and USPS increases rates almost every year, that is one way to tell that at least for me, the buyers eventually come to grips with the changes that are not within our control.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

You're full of it....you must work for Paypal.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply