cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing sold within 1 minute and I'm sketched out by it

Hello everyone.  I am selling a bunch of die cast trucks from a man who is retired from the trucking logistics business.  I listed an item today and within one minute it was sold at $209.99 plus shipping.  I listed it above recently sold comps, etc.  When I pulled up the Buyer's feedback, it said 100% positive.  But, pretty much half of the feedback was negative listed under positive.  This person would make offers and not pay.  Would bid items up and not pay, etc. etc.  Really poor feedback.  My listing was paid for immediately.  However, it's not sitting right with me.  I thought of cancelling the transaction but the "reasons" are not reasons that I'm cancelling.  Do I take the time to send it and then run the risk of a return? Yes, I know returns happens and I'm happy to take them but what do you all do when something just doesn't feel right?  I'm newer to the selling game after a break and things seem very different now.  Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Listing sold within 1 minute and I'm sketched out by it

You beat my record of 5 minutes (JNCO Slacker jeans).  This individual may have items like yours on a search, got notification from eBay that your item was just listed and jumped on it.

He has a history of non-payment; however, seems like this time he had to pay.

There's no honest reason to cancel the sale - I would just ship as normal.

ETA: If it's what I'm looking at, that's a really nice unit (and I don't even collect), pristine and well presented - there is trust value in a well staged listing. I routinely sell things over the average because I take pains. Don't forget to ship to protect the box, too!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I have 4 huge boxes full of these die casts from this sweet retired gentleman.  I am def. leaning toward sending it out, but wanted to hear from others, so thanks!  I'll be up most of the night listing 🙂

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like his only sin was non-payment? At least that's taken care of.

Anyway, you're doing a great job with the listing - I have a hand me down camera that was pricey when new, but has a lousy macro so I'm all envious of your closeups lol.

Remember that online selling will always have some risks, but generally, if the buyer pays, we ship. A sale can only be canceled for a couple of legit reasons or we get big black marks.

ETA: BTW, with the listing - it's better to list a group each day than just dump everything at once on the site (though you can make drafts and just send them live five a day or something) - it keeps the pot boiling.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

ETA: BTW, with the listing - it's better to list a group each day than just dump everything at once on the site (though you can make drafts and just send them live five a day or something) - it keeps the pot boiling.

Great advice, it also serves as damage control should things go south. On ebay you want to walk, not run.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I wouldn't advise cancelling the transaction as you don't have an actual reason to do it and it would cause you to have a defect on your account.  

I would just ship it.  Make sure you have tracking.  Most people don't buy things to just return them.  

I wish you nothing but the best.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Did you check what kind of feedback your buyer leaves for sellers? You have to do this on the website(not the app). I always do this when I get a message from a potential buyer. Sometimes you will find they leave a minefield of negs and neutrals for sellers. I then promptly put them on my BBL. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Just as a side note, am sure you know this, but seems like a good time to reinforce it.  Those FB that this buyer received because he did not pay was AGAINST EBAY RULES.  A buyer can NEVER EVER be given neg FB.  When/if that happens, the buyer can/should report it.  eBay will remove it and the seller will get a "defect".  No one appears to know how many of those will get a seller removed totally, but it has happened.  

ETA:  Don't know how long your break was, but things are not radically different now.  We all just need to follow the rules.  

Also, need to point this out.  All sellers can set up their listings so as to exclude any buyer with 2 nonpayment strikes in 12 months.  If those sellers had taken the correct action, your buyer would've not been able to buy from you if you had your listings set up that way.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Not unusual.  I listed a bunch of the same part yesterday and, while it wasn't a minute, it was pretty quick. Same guy jumped in and bought all of them.  He's another dealer, which is fine.  I'd rather let him sit on them for a year for that extra $50.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Nice listing....I, too, see no reason not to ship (w/insurance)

I would suggest taking away the best offer on your listings (since you are researching comps if available)

You can always add ir after one 30 day cycle if it's languishing

If something in that collection "looks expensive" it probably is....those might be good candidates for auctions, especially if you are not able to find good comps...

collectors will pay some crazy prices for a 'hard-to-find" item for their collections

and, don't limit your search for comps just to ebay sold...search around......

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Did you look at the feedback the buyer has left for others? Don't just look at the chart ( it only shows the last 2 months). 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Don't worry about buyer's feedback, I never even bother to look.  Just follow Ebay procedures.  So if they paid then you ship it out.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Can you breakdown your comment of: When I pulled up the Buyer's feedback, it said 100% positive.  But, pretty much half of the feedback was negative listed under positive

A seller can only leave positive feedback.

If the buyer leaves a neutral / negative for a seller, the seller can respond to that feedback comments and state their case for everyone to view. 

Is this buyer leaving a positive for their sellers but then writes negative comments? 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Can you breakdown your comment of: When I pulled up the Buyer's feedback, it said 100% positive.  But, pretty much half of the feedback was negative listed under positive

A seller can only leave positive feedback.

If the buyer leaves a neutral / negative for a seller, the seller can respond to that feedback comments and state their case for everyone to view. 

Is this buyer leaving a positive for their sellers but then writes negative comments? 

Just a little clarification on this.  Buyers can only receive positive FB.  It isn't that sellers "can't" leave a negative remark as a positive FB, it is Sellers are not suppose to post a negative comment in a positive FB, that is a rule.  With that said, unless the buyer reports the seller for leaving a false positive, it is likely the seller will not be sanctioned for the policy violation.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Pretty much what I already said. 

Still waiting for the O.P. to respond. 

I cannot see their buyers feedback profile. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply