cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Impressions Dropped - Sales down 28%

We are a top rated plus anchor store selling pre-owned and new clothing, shoes and accessories with 11,500 items listed.  (We are not hobby sellers - we have warehouse, office, emplyees).  We add new items daily, promote listings (a joke), fill in titles with all characters, use all the drop down boxes, have professional photos and list measurements.  We have spent tons of time removing active content and complying to ebay's wishes.  We remove stagnant listings.  Our sales have decreased dramatically in direct correlation with the decrease in listing impressions.  Yes - we understand that summer months are slow - this is not our first rodeo.  Last year sales at 250K this year will be no where close to that figure.  No solid answers from Merchant Support.  Any ideas, suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.  It seems like the more sellers give to ebay, the more they taketh away.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Listing Impressions Dropped - Sales down 28%

@fast_n_cheap wrote:

We been selling for 4 years on here now, our percent sold has always floated around 10%. What I dont understand is what happened on Sept 1 to get the impressions cut in half?

I can't say.  I've seen that repeatedly in my own impressions with no obvious explanation other than ebay is hiding my listings from appearing on potential buyers' search pages.  How else would you explain 40,000 impressions dropping to 10,000 overnight? That people suddenly aren't making the searches that return your items doesn't pass my basic smell test.  Now, I saw my views drop in half in the first week of June, with impressions actually INCREASING through the end of July, and that doesn't suggest manipulation to me, since increased impressions mean increased search exposure.  But I've gone back the last three years looking at my data and there doesn't seem to be an obvious connection between impressions, views, and sales.  What I mean is, a reduction in impressions doesn't seem to always translate into a reduction in views, and separately, a reduction in views doesn't always translate into reduced sales.  Impressions typically vary between 10,000 and 30,000, and views between <100 and 500 daily.  Sales are USUALLY consistent, which begs the question of what would happen to my sales if my views stayed up closer to the 500?  That suggests manipulation to keep sales at the same level.

Personally, I'm tired of constantly trying to figure it out.  I like selling on Ebay and will probably continue to do it, but eventually the income on which I rely will have to come from elsewhere.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

For years my sales had been in the six figure bracket up until 2011, in 20 12 that dropped to 5 Figures, and in 2014 that dropped to 4 figures,  last 6 months are now at 3 figures and had to close my Ebay store because my sales could not support the $19 monthly fee any more. I went from driving a cadillac CS 1V to a Chrysler 300, I nearly lost my home until I threw in the E-bay Towel and now make money in a totaly different Venu. My home was financed based on just E-bay income from 2009 to 2011, Just after that I lost 70% of that income from E-bay sales falling off a CLIFF.  My advice - find something new to do.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

This isnt a seasonal issue. It has nothing to do with issues to your listings. It has to do with ebay forever changing their policies and algorithm almost monthly. Anyone who tells you otherwise has absolutely no idea.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

yes,  ebay's algorohytm is messed up.   I have been a top rated seller since a month and my impression has dropped to %5  from %90.  Ebay does no show my listing to te potential buyers.  

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I am a TRS+ clothing seller, my sales are down 50 % from last year. I also have never sold anything on a promoted listing.  

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Used Promoted Listings and have run  campaigns on my items and thats when i noticed that my sales kept going lower, views lowered and listing impressions went very very low. Items promoted somewhere in the 2000 range but have only had 14 sales from promoted listings. My items do not show up in other parts of thwe country. Ill have friends check  in Mass, RI, Ca , LA and Ga and very often they dont see my items for sale.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

On a similar note, I was looking to buy a hi-end item (a Kindle Oasis) and was running into a lot of junk-posts in the price range I was looking for. I was using every combination of keywords I could think of to find a good deal in the search results, and then while looking at a sold listing I saw found a link to a seller with 50 (Yes 50!) for sale in my price range. I couldn't bring the sales up in the search engine at all, but I could get them through this link I'd found. I thought it had to be a scam seller, there's no way they could have 50 of an item I couldn't find anyone else selling at the same price.

I took my chances and bought one anyway, and it was completely 100% legit. The seller is no rookie (27k+ feedback & 99.3% solid), their listing was excellent, and price was stellar, but the search engine was killing it. I know the filter has gotten a lot more aggressive in the last year, but I think eBay is really killing itself with this one.

Here's the listing for those curious:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Oasis-Wi-Fi-4GB-6-w-Charging-Cover-Pick-Color-48-4B/401441526...
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@norskmediashopwrote:

can someone explain what impressions are regarding listings? thank you

@norskmediashop

It is a count for when someone gets to the page that your item is on. The OP is selling in a category that has hundreds of pages so there is not a buyer in the world who would go to every page. They may have an item on page 32 but no one got that far to see the OP's item. It is no big deal for people who do not sell items that have hundreds of pages. Clothes sellers are a dime a dozen and sooner or later they will be a nickle a dozen. There are just too many clothes sellers so only those who manage to get their items on the first 10 pages or so will get high impression counts. Thus the reasons why the OP's impression count keep dropping.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply