cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Fine Jewelry

Hi I am listing a Solid 18K Yellow Gold Ring and Natural Untreated Ruby Overall weight 5 grams. Just before pressing the list button the ebay price recommendation is 70 usd. I really dont get this recommendation, I am not a alchemist and the ruby is as described.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Listing Fine Jewelry

What is the main concern? Is it that the eBay estimate for $70 is way off the mark? The recommendations that eBay presents are not chiseled in stone. I myself ignore such suggestions. Sellers are free to set whatever price they so choose for their listings.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

ebay is interested in the ring selling, that is where ebay makes money - when something sells.  And, if it is cheap priced low enough, it will likely sell faster and they will have their money faster.  ebay isn't really concerned with the 'worth' of something, just how much will sell, in how little time.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Boy, just wouldn't recommend selling that ring online IMHO. For starters, go to a gold calculator (found online also) weigh your ring, punch in 18k and it will give you an estimate of value based on current gold prices. There you can get a clear value of what you should be asking less 20%. Good luck and ignore that recommended price on ebay, it has no idea what anything is worth!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Also bake in the ring making and then setting cost-- also dont forget the 50 dollar official gold hallmark

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Visit http://silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/gold_calculator.aspx

Ignore the price eBay recommends.. The scrap gold price (melt value) today is $186.62 forr 4 grams of 18K gold.  I have no idea what size the ruby is but a 1 ct ruby weighs 0.2 grams.  The gemstone could be far more valuable than the gold. You should get it appraised before you list it so you're not pricing it too low. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@goldstandardgems1970 wrote:

the ebay price recommendation is 70 usd. I really dont get this recommendation

eBay's AI can't tell the difference between the real stuff and all the fakes coming out of China and India- the price recommendation is based on all the cheap fakes selling so low. Ignore it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

A Untreated Natural Ruby is very rare,VVS Clarity thousands per ct--problem with ebay they allow the fraudsters sell glass filled and synthetic as natural ruby---as a result I cant sell the real stuff on ebay

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ignore ebays price recommendations.  All they do is take the first couple of key words in your listing and get an average of what those words in combination sell for.  The only actual good they do is allow you to switch around the wording of your listing to get a better average price.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply