cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's Have Some Fun - Items You Bought and Wished You Hadn't!

Tired of the doom and gloom here.

Let's hear about items you bought - whether thinking you would score big - or items that were more than you bargained for getting them ready to list.

This past week - I hit paydirt - at least for me - went to a block sale and a couple of people had their clothing for 50 cents each - name brand - knew I could turn it over quick as long as it was priced right.

Came home to take pics and list when I felt something in the pocket of the first item - a fleece jacket. Turns out someone had stuffed tissue in it and had washed it at least once without taking out the tissue. Now I don't know if you guys can relate to this - but lots of women can! It was in little balls and completely covering the pocket - I cleaned and cleaned trying to turn the pocket outside in - but boy was it deep - duh - it was a kangaroo pocket. It took me a good 1/2 hr to clean out the mess and the mess left all over the fleece, table and floor. I thought about just ditching it a couple of times but I had already put so much work into it and it did fetch a good price.

I will definitely slow down and check out pockets next time.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Let's Have Some Fun - Items You Bought and Wished You Hadn't!

Board games.

I can't help myself -- every time I see a pile of vintage board games for $1 each I grab the whole stack, knowing that only one of them will go for a whopping $9 or whatever and most will be missing pieces.

I told my wife to stop me. She can't. I am unstoppable in my determination to waste money on board games.

Does anyone need 1/3 of a Partridge Family game? What about 3 pieces and a board from the 1970s Spiderman game?

No one cares about these things. No one. Board games are the redheaded harelipped stepchild of the toy niche. I hate everything about them. I have to stop. HAVE to.

I have the Transogram 1965 Green Ghost game from my childhood. If I can find the Which Witch game (WITHOUT a broken-off staircase post) I swear, on my honor, that I will never, ever buy a used board game again. Ever.

Message 106 of 114
latest reply

I had Which Witch. Loved it. Want it again. Never see it ! 

If you have that many board games can't you combine to create a complete no missing pieces game? 

When I see a piece that goes with something else I already have that is not selling well, I pass it up whereas in the past i used to buy it. I tell myself the wise adage--Don't throw good money after bad. 

Don't feel too badly....there's a hoarders car at one of the thrifts I frequent and it is filled to the roof, only empty spot in the entire car is the driver's seat, and all of them are Scrabble! 

Message 107 of 114
latest reply

I always plan on combining half-games but it never pans out. It's one of the devil's favorite torments, putting half-complete board games in front of me for $1 at estate sales, knowing I'll never find a match.

I need to take the giant stack I've accumulated over the years and just light a match. It's such a lose-lose. Even if they're complete, no one wants them. Literally no one.

Message 108 of 114
latest reply

You could try just selling them as replacement parts.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 109 of 114
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

I'd thought about that. I'd rather burn em, really. Other fish to fry.

Message 110 of 114
latest reply

@cyberontix wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

I'd thought about that. I'd rather burn em, really. Other fish to fry.

All depends on whether it is worth your time. A paypal micro payment account selling missing game pieces could be lucrative, if you were very efficient. 

If you don't want to spend your time that way, then yes, ditch the games. Get them out of your life, free yourself from the burden of having them hang around. 

Message 111 of 114
latest reply

Try checking the game replacement pieces category before you decide to trash them.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 112 of 114
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Try checking the game replacement pieces category before you decide to trash them.

Or craft supplies...

Message 113 of 114
latest reply

@cyberontix wrote:

I always plan on combining half-games but it never pans out. It's one of the devil's favorite torments, putting half-complete board games in front of me for $1 at estate sales, knowing I'll never find a match.

I need to take the giant stack I've accumulated over the years and just light a match. It's such a lose-lose. Even if they're complete, no one wants them. Literally no one.

I just picked up some nice boardgames today they are called "the vintage collection" they come in wooden boxes and have a lot parker brothers favorites like Monopoly Jenga Clue and Scrabble, the odd thing was all the contents were sealed but the outer boxes were not which shaved off tons of the value.

Message 114 of 114
latest reply