cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legit or scam offer?

I am new to eBay and have 1 item listed for $230. I know I am a target for scammers being a new account with a higher ticket item. I have had my listing up for a few weeks with no offers and I just received my first one this morning for $300. I know it is a red flag since it is more than the listing price. I went to the buyers profile and there are real listing and reviews. Do we think this is legit? I have not accepted the offer yet and the buyer has not asked for any info (PayPal email, address change, etc.) Should I go ahead and accept and see if the buyer asks those questions or just decline the offer? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Legit or scam offer?

Is there a downfall with me accepting the offer and not shipping until legit payment is received?

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Any time a buyer offers to pay MORE than the price, yes it's a scammer.  Place them on your blocked bidder list too.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 wrote:

Is there a downfall with me accepting the offer and not shipping until legit payment is received?

There can be downfalls with any sale and any seller even when legit payment is received.

I don't know if this buyer is legit, but to be honest, I don't have a good feeling about it, especially since you have disclosed what the buyers " seller" feedback looks like.

I wouldn't deal with the buyer.

It's up to you what you do though.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

If you're talking about an auction style listing with a BO option, the starting BID is not the price of the item but merely where you have chosen to begin the bidding.  If an offer is made it would need to be above that starting bid price.  However, you need to remember that once a bid is placed, that offer becomes void and the auction continues with the item being sold to the highest bidder.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 wrote:

They have a 88.9% positive feedback rate. 19 positive reviews and 2 negative reviews within the last 12 months(1 about product not being as describer and 1 about lack of communication). They have been a eBay member since 2018 and are located in NY.

My other question is, when I go to my listing it says I have 0 bids on the item but he did send an offer. Is that just because he does not want to get involved with the bidding process?

Bids and offers are not the same thing.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 20 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

So this buyer is also obviously a seller and that 88.9% rating is their rating as a seller, not as a buyer.

Buyers cannot be given negative FB.  

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

That FB has to be FB he's received as a seller.  

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

It is feedback received as a seller.

2 negs left.    I neg for not as described, and 1 neg for lack of communication.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Just declined the offer! Thank you everyone for the insight. I will delete the listing and repost it as a Buy it Now item and hopefully I will have better luck.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Wise decision.

Don't forget to block the buyer.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@simba6 wrote:

Any time a buyer offers to pay MORE than the price, yes it's a scammer.  Place them on your blocked bidder list too.

It's an AUCTION! There is no "price". There's a starting bid amount, and people are allowed to bid or offer more than that.

Why do you always post this message when someone has made an offer higher than the starting bid on an auction? Do you not understand the concept of Best Offer on an auction?

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

You may want to send them a message and tell them you cannot verify/validate their shipping address as it is listed on their account in eBay. 

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@katzrul15 wrote:

Not everyone is smart enough to shop around.

And then, sometimes within the next 30 days they figure it out and ask for a return.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 wrote:

Do not accept this....

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 wrote:

I googled it and nothing came up.

The only address that counts is the one you will receive with the payment - which is the one that you need to ship to. All you will see before payment is the buyers Ebay address - which could be anywhere or even incomplete.

When you get the payment then the Ship To address that comes with it should be a real deliverable location. It would make no sense for even a scammer to give you a fake address because they would not be able to receive the item.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply