cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legit or scam offer?

I am new to eBay and have 1 item listed for $230. I know I am a target for scammers being a new account with a higher ticket item. I have had my listing up for a few weeks with no offers and I just received my first one this morning for $300. I know it is a red flag since it is more than the listing price. I went to the buyers profile and there are real listing and reviews. Do we think this is legit? I have not accepted the offer yet and the buyer has not asked for any info (PayPal email, address change, etc.) Should I go ahead and accept and see if the buyer asks those questions or just decline the offer? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Legit or scam offer?

I know it is a red flag since it is more than the listing price. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're talking about Darth Vader, the offer is more than the starting bid, not listing price.

It might be legit, I have offered more than the starting bid when I don't want to wait until the auction ends..

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

azh-71
Thrill-Seeker

That thing is $299 + S/H/T on Amazon right now, which makes me think it's a scam.  

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

If you are worried, why do you even list in this format? Do buy it now with immediate payment required at a price you would be happy with.

Auction with a best offer is probably the worst format imo. 

Could be the person just doesn't want to deal with auctions and wants to "cut to the chase" and give you their best price.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Not everyone is smart enough to shop around.

OP- in the offer, what info can you see about your potential Buyer on their FB page?

Registered where?  When?  Number of FB?  What does FB left for others look like?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 

Hmmm I would say accept the offer as it's like @*madison says maybe they don't want to wait for auction to finish.

If you accept and buyer says anything that sounds suspicious like gift cards or anything out of the norm,  you come straight back to this forum. Good luck.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

This may be legit even if it is above the auction starting price. Some buyers just simply do not want to wait until the auction ends. That is the value of auctions over buy it now listings. Things often sell for more than what they would have on a BIN listing. It's what the item is worth to the buyer not necessarily what it is worth to you. 

A few things I would suggest checking since buyer feedback is only marginal indicator because sellers cannot leave negative feedback. How long has the buyer had an active account? Where is the buyer located, domestic or international? What is the shipping address, a freight forwarder or a valid actual address (Google the address). 

Since they are offering more than the asking price you may want to add signature receipt to your shipping. 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

They have a 88.9% positive feedback rate. 19 positive reviews and 2 negative reviews within the last 12 months(1 about product not being as describer and 1 about lack of communication). They have been a eBay member since 2018 and are located in NY.

My other question is, when I go to my listing it says I have 0 bids on the item but he did send an offer. Is that just because he does not want to get involved with the bidding process?

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Hit the brakes, Elvis....back out of the building, RUN to your BBL (block buyer list)

Do not sell this to him/her/it. Etc

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

The feedback doesn't sound too great.

If the buyer is legit, a bid hasn't been placed because then the buyer would have to wait until the auction ends.

If an offer is sent and accepted, the listing ends straight away.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Save yourself Ferris!!!

(You are a zero FB seller....it is a Scam)

Block and if no bids, consider ending this auction and relisting Fixed Price, immediate payment required. 

Posting ID Only.......
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

@jorpe997 wrote:

I am new to eBay and have 1 item listed for $230. I know I am a target for scammers being a new account with a higher ticket item. I have had my listing up for a few weeks with no offers and I just received my first one this morning for $300.

That same item is available on eBay right now as a Buy It Now for $242. And the listing title is almost identical to yours, so it would be unlikely that a search that found your item would not find this one too.

Based on this, my conjecture is that the offer is a scam.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

The 88.9% is based on their seller feedback. Buyer feedback is ALWAYS going to be 100% since sellers cannot leave negative feedback. 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

Just to clarify, you are thinking it is a scam because I have not received any feedback or transactions on my account? If that is the case, how will I be able to trust any future offers?

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Legit or scam offer?

They have been a user since 2018 and are located in NY. The address I see does look odd...11731-5005, E Northport, NY. I googled it and nothing came up.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply