cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping "total sold" correct when updating variation listings

I have some listings with variations. A few for audio CD's. On the listing it will show the buyer what the total quantity sold is. When I have sold quite a few I want to remove the "out of stock" cd's that I've sold. When I do that the quantity sold drops as well. Should I not be removing out of stock items? I have seen other listings that show high numbers of quantity sold but have very few out of stock items. What I've been doing is removing the variation. Is there a different way I should be doing this? I appreciate any input. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"I have seen other listings that show high numbers of quantity sold but have very few out of stock items."

They probably have multiples of most or all variations.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@tpe314 

In my experience, when deleting an out-of-stock variation option the sold count shown to buyers will drop as well. I do not know any way to work around having this happen.

The sold count shown on your Active Listings page will reflect the total number sold from the variation listing, so you can still see the total sold from that particular variation listing. Only the seller can see this number.

If I think that I will be able to replace a sold-out variation option within a week or two, I will leave it alone, not delete the option, and restock the option when I have more stock. If I do not think I will be able to re-stock the option, I delete it. The reason I delete the out-of-stock option is mostly based on my personal experience as a buyer. I get discouraged (as a buyer) when I click on a variation listing only to find the option I am looking for is out-of-stock.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I kind of figured that would be it. When I cleaned out one of my listings and saw that the quantity sold changed to zero it bothered me a little bit but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. I agree, it does make it easier on the buyer without the clutter of out of stock items. I did do an experiment and found that if you do a search for a cd that is out of stock the listing doesn't come up in the search even though it's still in the variations. I appreciate the input. Thanks so much. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I was thinking that too so I sampled quite a few of the variations and they all showed one available. Could be though. I appreciate the input. It's not a big 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply