cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious - June 1st roll out of Free Returns and 14 day return period vanishing (for most cats)

So what happens June 1st to my listings which have 14 day returns and are NOT in the "approved for 14 day returns" categories? Do the listings end/vanish/get changed to 30 days - what?

eBay is not only not very good at explaining what new requirements ARE, but has also never been any good at explaining the connsequences either, I've noticed.

@Anonymous or any other blue out there.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Just curious - June 1st roll out of Free Returns and 14 day return period vanishing (for most cats)

Good question, ymeagainlord.

My guess would be that the seller would be responsible for changing to whatever new return policy (longer returns or no returns) they decide to choose.  Possibly they wouldn't be re-listed because whether manually or automatically, the returns would be for a designation no longer offered.  Just my thoughts.

In another vein, please forgive me, but I read the OP title and couldn't resist.  I didn't know cats sold on Ebay!  Smiley Very Happy  And since it is most cats, what about the other cats who sell on Ebay?Smiley Sad

Yes, I know you mean categories.  Ok, so sorry, carry on!

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
 ... eBay is not only not very good at explaining what new requirements ARE, but ...

You can say that again. My reading of the seller update page was that the new options for returns would go into effect on May 1.  (Re-reading the page linked below, it says "in May" not May 1.) Yet the listing form still offers 14 days for returns in not-eligible categories.

The FAQ completely fails to address your question:

What do I have to do?

Starting May 2018, if you currently accept 14-day returns, you can change your return policy to 30-day returns. You will also be able to specify a different return policy for international buyers.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Well you remember Animal Farm, right? SOME cats are more equal than other cats = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Well you remember Animal Farm, right? SOME cats are more equal than other cats = )

I guess those would be the COOL cats!  Smiley Very Happy

Sorry again, but thanks for a really good laugh there!Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ymeagainlord wrote:

So what happens June 1st to my listings which have 14 day returns and are NOT in the "approved for 14 day returns" categories? Do the listings end/vanish/get changed to 30 days - what?

eBay is not only not very good at explaining what new requirements ARE, but has also never been any good at explaining the connsequences either, I've noticed.

Hi @ymeagainlord, I'm working on getting some clarification on this at the moment and will update the thread as soon as possible!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Hi @ymeagainlord, I've received an update on how this transition will work. 

• Beginning next week, the option create a new listing with a 14-day return policy will be removed except in the categories outlined in our recent Seller Update
  • If a revision is performed to existing listings, a seller will be prompted to update their return policy
  • Good 'Til Cancelled listings with a 14-day return policy and undergo no revisions will not be updated by eBay to a 30-day return policy until the fall
  • To clarify, the June 1 date is when our Top Rated Sellers will need to offer 30-day free returns to qualify for the TRS+ discount
  • Sellers will need to update their listings accordingly before the fall, but no automatic updates will occur on June 1st

Let me know if you need anything else!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Psssst, yme .... don't forget to ask about 'before the fall of what?'  ("Sellers will need to update their listings accordingly before the fall, but no automatic updates will occur on June 1st")  Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord

@gracieallen01

Morning. So I read Blue explain re: 14 day vs. 30 return period. I am not TRS so that free return part doesn't apply to me.

-But the first sentence says "next week" to go from 14 to 30 returns.

-So does that mean I should list my **bleep** off today and tomorrow to get new items (i.e., new meaning never listed) and be sure I don't have to go in and do revisions so as not to get caught up in the 30day? I only list fixed BIN. Rarely auction with no BIN.

-Same holds for listing GTC. Do I list as GTC and hopefully don't have to do any revisions (used GTC years ago, wasn't my cup of tea, didn't keep track on the auto renew). Obviously setting them up for GTC for between now and "the Fall" would be stupid without making revisions somewhere along the way over a 3-4 month period). Am I reading this part wrong?

-All my categories will require the 30 day return period.

-And that last sentence that June 1 is not a deadline, but need to revise before the "Fall" of the Roman Empire? Does that apply to all of us, TRS & us regular folks? That last sentence cancels out the first sentence of "next week."

-Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am. I just want a clear, clean answer on what to do now to get ready for this major change over. I am not amenable to No Returns as in many cases I would want my vintage items back.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Yeah, strange that the 14 days option will vanish as of next week (which is nowhere near June 1st). I read it to say that except in certain categories ALL sellers will no longer have an option of 14 days returns anyway "as from next week" (except for those sellers listing GTC that don't revise anything)

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Yeah, strange that the 14 days option will vanish as of next week (which is nowhere near June 1st)....

Apparently they're counting back 14 days before June 1.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@ymeagainlord

Sorry my post was so long. So that means to me, I DO have to work my bleep off to get things up before next week, and if I need to go in within my 30 day fixed and do a revision, THEN eBay will require I change the 14 to 30. So I need to post perfect listings I guess. I sometimes will do a price reduction when it gets close to the end of the 30, so will just let them ride as is. 

And the GTC issue: was I correct on that? usually with GTC only thing I ever did was revise the price. So if I list them GTC and let them keep renewing up to "The Fall" it would still stay at 14. Which is stupid cause changing the price is a revision and letting them run for 3-4 months as same just puts it lower in search and would be a stupid move on my part. 

My biggest concern is to get the Blue info to my AW2000 people to be sure the database, etc. has these eBay changes.  Thx for writing back. Am tearing my hair out at this point. So...in some cases I will have some with 14 day and some with 30?

I can see a buyer now looking at all my listings and figuring out some are 14 and some 30 so why can't I return in 30 like your other listings? 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@ymeagainlord

@gracieallen01

Morning. So I read Blue explain re: 14 day vs. 30 return period. I am not TRS so that free return part doesn't apply to me.

-But the first sentence says "next week" to go from 14 to 30 returns.

-So does that mean I should list my **bleep** off today and tomorrow to get new items (i.e., new meaning never listed) and be sure I don't have to go in and do revisions so as not to get caught up in the 30day? I only list fixed BIN. Rarely auction with no BIN.

-Same holds for listing GTC. Do I list as GTC and hopefully don't have to do any revisions (used GTC years ago, wasn't my cup of tea, didn't keep track on the auto renew). Obviously setting them up for GTC for between now and "the Fall" would be stupid without making revisions somewhere along the way over a 3-4 month period). Am I reading this part wrong?

-All my categories will require the 30 day return period.

-And that last sentence that June 1 is not a deadline, but need to revise before the "Fall" of the Roman Empire? Does that apply to all of us, TRS & us regular folks? That last sentence cancels out the first sentence of "next week."

-Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am. I just want a clear, clean answer on what to do now to get ready for this major change over. I am not amenable to No Returns as in many cases I would want my vintage items back.

Ooops, past due.  Way past due!  Smiley Wink

Oh, and has anybody figured out when 'fall' is to ebay?  We know how their calendar works for Holidays, but 'fall'?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:
 ... has anybody figured out when 'fall' is to ebay?  We know how their calendar works for Holidays, but 'fall'?

eBay has their own, mysterious calendar.  The Spring Seller Update came out on February 27 this year.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I wonder when the "Summer" one will happen

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 15 of 23
latest reply