cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items re-sold on Amazon

There's someone buying a lot of my stuff under at least 8 different names and selling them on Amazon for 3 or 4 times the price.  I know its the same person from the notes attached to the sales which always says, "don't include the price, blah, blah, blah... Or "this is a gift blah, blah..."  Once in a while they get confused and use the wrong paypal that was already used for a different name with like 10 bought items sent to 10 different people.

Once they asked me if I have to put the correct value on the customs form.  Duh???

And I've looked at Amazon and they copied my entire listings word for word, all photos even!  Even thank you notes I collected over the years from customers.  Makes me feel like I am being impersonated.  And worse, people might think I sold something for $30 when it was only $5.95 on ebay....  Imagine that.  How dishonest.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me?

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Items re-sold on Amazon

@floralys wrote:

There's someone buying a lot of my stuff and selling them on Amazon for 3 or 4 times the price. 

Raise your price 3 to 4 times the price. Why would you be selling 3 to 4 times lower than you know you can get assuming this other person is actually selling the items and not just letting them collect dust over there. Either that, or just sell all of them to this person if you don't mind the price you're getting.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

You are complaining about someone who keeps buying from you?  This does not compute.  Sounds like you have a good thing going here.

And to top it off, there are some people who will only shop Amazon and avoid eBay, and vice versa.  Unless you also sell on Amazon, those Amazon loyalists would never be your customers here anyway.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Hi, since you said the buyer asked for you to NOT enclose anything with the price on it, I think it is likely this Amazon seller is using you as a drop-shipper. When he makes a sale on that platform, he then buys the item from you and you are shipping it to a different name/place each time. He wants you to falsify the customs form so the person on the other end won't see they overpaid wildly, just like with the packing slip. 

As far as what to do, add him to your blocked buyer list if you truly don't want the sales. Some might say, however, that what he does with his items is his business. I don't believe it is illegal, except for using your listing verbatim.

Since the buyer is using your text and photos, that is infringement on your intellectual property rights. You would need to research this, to see how best to protect those rights.

You could contact Amazon with the situation. I'm not real familiar with their policies, so it is uncertain they can help you.

Have you considered raising your price?

Others will be along with more, hopefully, encouraging advice. Best of luck to you.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Usually works the other way, tons of ebay sellers are drop-shipping from Amazon using gift shipping.

As long as you're getting the price you want, just be happy to be selling to them.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I have to say I gotta agree with cooletions: you should be raising your price point significantly. You're leaving a lot of money on the table if someone can buy at your  current prices, and then successfully resell at a 3-4 times markup.

I'll also add that once you sell something (legally), it's sold. It's someone else's property now. If they want to resell it or, maybe, sacrafice it to a volcano lava god...that's literally their business.

Yes, I understand but I'll feel bad charging exorbitant prices for what it's really worth.

And yes, a sale is a sale.  What they do with it is their business... But I'm the one who ships it to the "victim of the high-way robbery" lol.

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@floralys wrote:

Yes, I understand but I'll feel bad charging exorbitant prices for what it's really worth.

And yes, a sale is a sale.  What they do with it is their business... But I'm the one who ships it to the "victim of the high-way robbery" lol.

It's not robbery if the buyer chooses to pay that price.  Some think ebay is beneath them.   I would raise my prices or be content with a repeat buyer.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Why feel bad for charging more? It's a lot of work to sell on ebay. Take a look at time spent for every second of those transactions and figure out what you are making an hour. Don't forget false returns, fees, gas, car maintenance, every. single. minute.  Profit is the name of the game in sales, that's why we sell, right? 

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

What your item is "worth" is what someone will pay for it, and evidently they will pay a lot more than you realized.  Raise your prices! 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@floralys wrote:

Yeah, be happy and spend your money.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

"Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me?"

Send them a christmas card and thank them for being a repeat valued customer.

As you can see I agree with Ducky above.  Nice to be a supplier with other salespeople working under you to help sell your product.  Without them selling other places you would end up selling less and that = less $ in your pockets.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Just remember they need to make a markup too because they have other fees involved too besides just what the widgets cost them from you.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

@floralys wrote:

There's someone buying a lot of my stuff under at least 8 different names and selling them on Amazon for 3 or 4 times the price.  I know its the same person from the notes attached to the sales which always says, "don't include the price, blah, blah, blah... Or "this is a gift blah, blah..."  Once in a while they get confused and use the wrong paypal that was already used for a different name with like 10 bought items sent to 10 different people.

Once they asked me if I have to put the correct value on the customs form.  Duh???

And I've looked at Amazon and they copied my entire listings word for word, all photos even!  Even thank you notes I collected over the years from customers.  Makes me feel like I am being impersonated.  And worse, people might think I sold something for $30 when it was only $5.95 on ebay....  Imagine that.  How dishonest.

You probably have multiple drop-shippers.  They tend to use the same language, especially the ones who fall for the "guaranteed systems" that gurus sell that teach them how to drop-ship.

If they're asking you to falsify customs forms, don't do it.  Click "report a buyer".  That violates eBay terms.

Re: "worth" - you've gotten some good advice.  Market sets the value.  If somebody is willing to pay $30 today, then that is the value.  YOU should be reaping that profit, not them.  

Understand this: if a shopper sees an item for $30 and pays?  Then he wants it for that price.  Doesn't matter if you think it's only worth $1.  He wants it for $30.  You're not ripping anybody off.

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

I've chosen to not sell on Amazon. MY choice.

I sell to several Amazon sellers for them to resale. I've never really searched to see what they get for my items.

All I know is, When I sell $100.00 or $200.00 in stamps to these people, I'm making a profit that I'm happy with.

The glaring problem that I see is EBAYs lack of direction. We're discussing items bought here and resold for more money on Amazon.

What is EBAY doing to bring those Amazon buyers back to this website to spend their money?
Message 15 of 44
latest reply