cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items marked as shipped. as soon as a tracking number is assigned

I find it annoying that as soon as a seller purchases a tracking number the item is marked shipped. When in reality it can be days before the package was finally shipped. This is not uncommon.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ah, yep..

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Seller must purchase a label for tracking number to be 'issued'. 

Therefore, that is the beginning of the 'shipping' and has been and is the same, at any other place of purchase. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It's not the seller's fault.   It's an automatic "feature" of eBay.   It does make buyers unhappy but sellers can't turn it off or set the date of actual shipping.   Sellers would love to turn it off but can't.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@oldneatstuff wrote:

I find it annoying that as soon as a seller purchases a tracking number the item is marked shipped. When in reality it can be days before the package was finally shipped. This is not uncommon.

It's the industry standard for online retailers. Every site from which I order online does the same thing--an email is sent regarding shipping as soon as the tracking number is assigned--even if the package is still in the hands of the retailer.

The date eBay buyers should pay attention to is the estimated delivery date. When the tracking number was assigned or when the package actually reaches the carrier are moot. The date the package is delivered to you is the only date that matters. Period.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

That's just the way the world works: Notification is given when shipping label is purchased. 

Next time buy from a seller with same day or one day handling time if you would like it shipped faster.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What do you suggest that Ebay use instead.  The seller started the shipping process. Today, I printed 5 labels in a span of 6 hours.  I did not rush out to the post office after the first order. I make  1 trip to the post office. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@oldneatstuff wrote:

Don't know what you are looking at.

This is what I see as a seller once I print the label: Nowhere does it say "shipped".

ship number.jpg

And this is what I see as a buyer. Notice it says "IS SHIPPING" future tense. That does not mean it actually has been shipped. Ir is essentially a confirmation of the order. "SHIPPED" doesn't show up until it has been scanned at the carrier.

ship.jpg

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"I find it annoying that as soon as a seller purchases a tracking number the item is marked shipped. When in reality it can be days before the package was finally shipped. This is not uncommon."

Unfortunately, it is true that once in a while an eBay seller might not take packages to the post office within even an hour or two after printing the shipping label.  Unforeseen circumstances can happen.  

As an eBay seller yourself, the only thing you can do is to make sure your sales get into the hands of the US Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, whatever the buyer paid for, as soon as humanly possible.  

When you are an eBay buyer, if you don't receive your purchase within one day after the estimated delivery date, you can file an Item Not Received (INR) claim.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

As a seller, do you do things differently?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The date when an item has been entrusted into the care & custody of a carrier for delivery is far more important than the date the shipping label was printed.

How frequently as a seller do you receive a buyer inquiry why haven't you or when will you print the shipping label ?  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply