cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item returned to me after PO makes 25 attempts to deliver

I had an auction that sold 4-4, shipped 4-5 and before he even received the package the buyer left me negative feedback. As it turns out, he was angry at his local PO, and I think he will retract the FB. Today the package was returned to me. I looked at the tracking info on USPS, and there were 25+ entries of the package being forwarded to different addresses. Finally it was returned to me with a sticker saying the buyer left no forwarding address. At this point, I'm thinking I have to just cancel the sale, correct? Will I be out the $ I spent for shipping? Please advise.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

You really don't have to do anything.

If the USPS attempted to deliver it 25 times, ebay will consider it DELIVERED.

Should the buyer file a INR (item not received) case, he will lose.

Technically you don't have to refund the buyer anything.

But I would refund the buyer for the item LESS the shipping.

In my opinion, that's  the right thing to do. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@inhawaii 

I think the seller has to resend the package to the correct address or not get paid, it's not delivered unless it says delivered, and buyer will not lose in this case, seller will.

@renebeany 

Contact buyer for correct address and ship it again if they still want it, if not, just refund.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@ten_o_nine 

if seller changes the address (even with an email from the buyer).....he's could lose protection.......

Agree with Hawaii......don't have to do anything.......I would refund without shipping.  I did have a case where a buyer ran me around the block/not answering emails, then asking to ship again, then to another address.  Called Concierge who told me NOT to refund anything......and to refer buyer to CS if they gave me grief.....I followed their direction and kept the $$$..........and referred the buyer to CS......

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

THE SELLER DOES NOT HAVE TO RESEND.  Buyer has voided his buyer protection. As a courtesy, the seller can give a partial refund. He/she needs to keep the fees and the shipping fee.    

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I see that there is no comment after the red negative but if I look at the # of your feedback. there is a 0 for feedback.  I have never seen this before.

Do NOT give a full refund to that buyer.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@dhbookds 

True, you don't have to reship if you don't want to, I try to leave eBay out as I deal with the customer, also you can't keep someone else's money just because the post office could not deliver the package, just can't understand eBay sellers giving advice to other sellers to keep the money, it's wrong without eBay getting involved, I would never do it, just think an eBay seller took your money because of an address issue.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I have had a few returned to me as such. From Israel as well as California and etc. I did nothing unless the buyer contacted me. I have never heard of 25+ entries of package being forwarded. If there is no forwarding address which I have had a number of them...I did nothing....and got no response from buyers.

Refunding to someone who might not get the money back makes no sense to me. That's my opinion and throwing a refund in the "air" makes no sense.

It looks like you both left the same feedback..."--". That is the best way to go.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@dhbookds 

True, you don't have to reship if you don't want to, I try to leave eBay out as I deal with the customer, also you can't keep someone else's money just because the post office could not deliver the package, just can't understand eBay sellers giving advice to other sellers to keep the money, it's wrong without eBay getting involved, I would never do it, just think an eBay seller took your money because of an address issue.

Ebay side is that the customer has given an incorrect address........and therefore is at fault......and seller should not have to pay to remail.......plus the danger of fake email.....

I would guess ebay will give a courtesy refund if buyer gripes enough and it's not a huge amount, but have nothing to back that up.....

I should add that, over the years, I've had 2 returned with "no such address" (I think was the reason) and buyers insisted it was correct.  Took both to the PO and asked what I should do.  In both cases, the PO (2 different ones) sent the package back at no cost to me and they got there fine...

Changing an address can be dangerous.......but I've certainly done it at times with no problem.......but I've billed the buyer for the cost thru paypal.....and gotten the $$ before I've done it.....

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@mingotoy 

Never said they have to resend, I said I would. How did the buyer void his protection? I am all ears.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@dhbookds 

Under no circumstances should a seller benefit from a transaction that went wrong, whether it's a buyer wrong address, or otherwise, money should be returned to buyer if item is returned to seller because of issue with address, period.

Reimbursement for shipping? I would just refund the full amount but that's just me.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Why should the seller be out what they paid for shipping if the buyer didn't have the correct address?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@dhbookds 

Under no circumstances should a seller benefit from a transaction that went wrong, whether it's a buyer wrong address, or otherwise, money should be returned to buyer if item is returned to seller because of issue with address, period.

Reimbursement for shipping? I would just refund the full amount but that's just me.

Even if it went wrong due to the buyers mistake?

Then you're a better man than me, because I would have no hesitation charging the buyer for shipping. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Why should the seller be out what they paid for shipping if the buyer didn't have the correct address?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say that seller must, I said I would if it were me.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@inhawaii 

Even if it went wrong due to the buyers mistake?

---------------------------------------------------

Yup, even if buyers mistake, really not kidding, it's the cost of doing business.

If we were all cheap and argue with customers, only few buyers will come here.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply