cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item keeps getting bought by scammers

Hey, all I am getting really annoyed with this issue so any help is much appreciated. Also, I apologize for the wall of text. Thanks!

I have been trying to sell a gaming laptop on here, and every single time (3 times now) it gets bought by a scammer. Each time I get a slight variation of the same message "Hey I bought your item! Send me your PayPal email." Even the first time it happened I knew it was a scam, because why wouldn't they just use eBay to complete the purchase? The first time it happened I just relisted the item. After it happened again I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. I found out about the option to require immediate payment. It seemed like it was exactly what I needed. My item would still be listed until I could confirm that it was a legitimate sale. So I revised my listing to require immediate payment, and it wasn't long before my item was bought. I sent an invoice and awaited payment. Then I got that same text that I always do I knew for certain it was another scammer. So I reported the buyer to eBay and went to make sure that my item was still listed. To my surprise, it wasn't. A banner across the top of the listing reads "The buyer has marked this item as "Payment Sent" on Oct 25, 2017." when I did no such thing. I never marked that I received payment for the item and I'm equal part angry and confused on why the listing was ended, even though I had the immediate payment option selected. I am unable to call eBay right now (and can't find a chat support link), which is why I am posting here. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The Cardinal Rule...NOTHING happens until you see a payment cleared in paypal.
All else is life on ebay...
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you - you know it is a scam - if you call ebay - tell them it is a scam - you have not received payment for this item, and the customer has abused the payment button.  You are calling to  report the buyer and would like your item opened up in the listing for IMMEDIATE PAYMENT- the contact information for Ebay is on the Hel and Contact Link at the top of the page - there is no CHAT link - make sure you call during daytime hours - or you will only get the philipines call center that cannot help you.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Sorry but I'm a bit confused.

You said that after this originally happened, you learned from it and changed your listing to have "immediate payment required." But then you go on to say someone bought it from you, but that you had to send an invioce to receive payment?

This isn't possible. Someone cannot complete the check out process with sending payment at the same time for an immediate payment required listing. Also the bit about you marking it as payment received when it hasn't been is puzzling.

Are you doing all of this from your phone or tablet? Perhaps this is some kind of new bug with the mobile app.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I am using the actual site, but It seems the error came from revising an existing listing rather than making a new one and eBay not updating it. I'm really not sure but that's the only thing I can think of

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@matthesha48 wrote:

I am using the actual site, but It seems the error came from revising an existing listing rather than making a new one and eBay not updating it. I'm really not sure but that's the only thing I can think of

Please forgive the obvious question here, but you did go into the full listing form and check the box for requiring immediate payment, right? We're not referring to just plugging in a statement in your description to say that you expect immediate payment. That checkbox setting in the full form (not the simplified version) will keep your item on the market until someone actually pays for it. (I don't mean an e-Check or marking it as Payment Sent, but an actual cleared payment.)

If that's not an accurate restatement of what happened, then I would agree that starting over with a fresh listing might be needed -- or else selling it locally for cash.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply