cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Held at Post Office..Should I Notify the Buyer?

Sent out a package on August 31 and it arrived at the buyers PO for delivery September 6 (The exact date shown for delivery) Originally PO showed "No safe place to deliver" then overnight held at post office. 

#1 Should I send a quick message to let the buyer know that the post office has package or let it ride until/if they open an INR

#2 In the event they do open an INR I am protected by uploading tracking showing delivery attempt and hold at PO, correct?

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If it doesn't show delivered,  you will lose.  Email the buyer one more time.  IF the item was sent priority mail, let them know that you are going to RECALL the package. That means that it come back to you and you will have to pay postage.    The buyer might be a scammer and is waiting to open a case and then he gets a refund and then runs to the post office and picks up the package.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Yes!, I Always notify the buyer when their order is held at the post office,because that actually means it was delivered!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

If it doesn't show delivered,  you will lose.  Email the buyer one more time.  IF the item was sent priority mail, let them know that you are going to RECALL the package. That means that it come back to you and you will have to pay postage.    The buyer might be a scammer and is waiting to open a case and then he gets a refund and then runs to the post office and picks up the package.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Carrier should have left a notice stating such. They should leave a second notice on day 5 (that was Sunday). USPS should have left a second notice today. Unclaimed would should be returned on day 15.

Notice left should protect you on eBay, but may not be supported by the buyer"s payment method.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Thank you! I should have messaged them as soon as PO put hold on package. I had 2 items that went to CA and held at post office the same day but one item was picked up within a couple of days so I was hoping this buyer would do the same and was giving them some time.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Can't hurt any. Is possible they aren't aware. Had one person I messaged a few days after it was held (wouldn't leave at their property for some reason) tell me thanks. But he was also slightly annoyed because they had just come from the Post Office and they didn't tell him about the package.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I worded the message as to package might possibly be sent back or I would retrieve it but didn't want to take that action if she wasn't aware of the hold. Guess I will see what happens. It was shipped priority, but it wasn't a high dollar item so if she is trying to scam the item just seems like a lot of work lol, but stranger things have happened.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Just email them. If there was no safe place to leave the package (dog problem, for example) then there would be no safe place to leave a notice it was being held. Be proactive. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I would email him and let him know the package is at the PO ready to be picked up. I once sold a valuable autographed baseball and the husband didn't know it was ready to be picked up because his wife forgot to tell him about the notice.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

@toybrats This is inaccurate information. 

If the item is shown as attempted delivery but unsafe or unable to deliver, it counts as delivery and you have seller protection. Buyer will NOT win INR. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

How could a buyer be "trying to scam the item"? You have her payment and the PO has her package.

So far, the buyer has nothing.  If there's a scam in there somewhere, it's not working in the buyer's favor so far.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Just let them know.

If roles were reversed, I would think you'd like it if the seller told you.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

i usually do if it's been a few days they still haven't picked up - usually they repond - and with "I know, I'm out of town right now, but thank you"

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

sorry, but this is the worst advise possible to give someone! 
You don't just call the post office and put in a request for a recall because your FEAR of a scam. People order stuff all the time and it gets held at post office for various reasons, no secure place to leave package, no access to location, they can also have a request in with post office for their mail to be held etc... 
In every case this has happened in past 20+ years of doing mail order not once was it due to a scam buyer. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

I was always under the impression that an attempted delivery was considered "delivered" in a dispute.

It's not the sellers fault that there was no safe place to leave the package.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with keeping the buyer updated.  I would. 

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 15 of 20
latest reply