cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Dispute Appeal - any success from a sellers effort?

I had a customer purchase a $20 item.  They received it.  Then filed a dispute specifying "not as described."  I responded stating that if they would like to return it then I'll be happy to provide a full refund.  Of course they wanted to keep it and get a refund.  I even included a note to ebay that the customer is choosing to keep the item AND wants a refund resulting in free product shopping.  A long time later, I got an email today from eBay stating that they judged in the buyer's favor and gave them their money back.  WTH????  This opens a HUGE window of opportunity for anyone to buy whatever they want off of eBay, file a dispute, keep the item, and know that eventually, eBay will simply give them their money back while letting the buyer keep the item.  Major SCAM opportunity that needs to be addressed.

Trying to reach anyone at eBay was impossible.  I called at 2:00 pm CST and they said I need to call them during normal business hours.  They fail to include what those hours are.  The chatbot was also worthless.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Would love to get a response from eBay. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Item Dispute Appeal - any success from a sellers effort?

@kc-businesses 

HUGE window of opportunity for anyone to buy whatever they want off of eBay, file a dispute, keep the item, and know that eventually, eBay will simply give them their money back while letting the buyer keep the item.  Major SCAM opportunity that needs to be addressed.

Sellers that want to avoid this "MAJOR SCAM" just need to respond to cases according to eBay Guidelines/Timeframes. Sounds like you CHOSE to not respond. If you would have approved the return and requested the buyer return your item, you would have your item returned. If buyer did not return the item, eBay would have not refunded the money.

How to handle a return request as a seller | eBay

Manage returns — eBay Seller Hub

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

This would not have happened if you'd have done it like this...

*Buyer says item is not as described.

*Tell the buyer to initial a return for a refund.

*Approve the return and provide a return shipping label.

*When the item is returned to you, refund the buyer.

*You have your item back. The buyer has a refund.

*If the item is not returned to you, no refund.

That's how it works.

Apparently somewhere along the line this did not happen.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

just passing through....did you follow the proper return protocols?

When you get an INAD, you simply accept the return request...supply a return label...and the issue is resolved once you get your item back...no?

"...I even included a note to ebay..."

When does this action come into play when accepting a return/refund?

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I think this came up on another thread.  My understandnig may be wrong, but ... When a buyer does the not as described for whatever reason, the seller must pay for postage and send them a label.  If you (seller) didn't press the other button that accepts the return AND generates a refund label, then it times out in favor the buyer and they get their thingy and their money.      Its an easy scam and I'm sure there are reddits about it. 

And if you actually send the label, they can return an empty envelope, tracking gets dinged as delivered and ebay finds for "buyer".  

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Holy crow, I had no idea this was happening to Sellers.  That was a great point about Buyer returning an empty envelope/package and tracking says it was delivered.  I never thought of that scenario.  I'm glad I only sell a few things here and there because it's easier for me to keep track.  Thank you all for the information!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Make sure that you block that buyer.  The good side is that is transaction is a total loss for your DEDUCTIONS column when you do your taxes.  Remember that the payment still shows as income but since you had to refund, the same amount goes in the loss column so this transaction does not pay any taxes since it's a loss.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

If you wanted the item back you should have chose the line item that says buyers must return the item. At that point you would have given the buyer a shipping label and got your item back. You told the buyer to keep it by not replying to the case.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@gofeesh13   Please skip that part you read. It is a total scare tactic some people who do not like Ebay use. The odds are better of wining the lottery then getting an empty envelope.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Thank you.  I try so hard to be an outstanding Seller and would hate to see someone take advantage of that fact.  I'll keep your advice in mind!

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

First thank you for your response.  Perhaps I didn't explain things properly...  In my 2nd sentence I state that I reached out to the buyer requesting they return it.  No response.

Here's a quick timeline:

May 2nd:  Buyer purchases item for $20 with free shipping (for them)

May 20th:  Buyer files dispute of "not as described."  No details provided.

May 20th:  I reach out to buyer apologizing for any issues they may have and requested for them to return the item and I would offer a full refund.  (no response)

May 20th:  I respond to the dispute itself in ebays system

June 28th:  I received notice from ebay that they are deciding in the buyers favor and giving them a refund for $20 plus charging me an additional $20 dispute fee.  As of today, the buyer never opened a return or responded in any way.  End result is they keep the item for free and I get penalized an additional $20 for a dispute fee.

Hopefully this helps clear up what transpired and sorry for any confusion in my original message.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for your response.  I did reach out to the buyer asking for them to return the item and I would be happy to offer a full refund.  they never responded and never opened a return.  

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Your talking about 2 different things.  They did not open a return.  They opened a dispute.  If they would have opened the return then I would have happily offered a full refund once I receive the item back.  Since they never opened a return and just file a dispute, then I had the opportunity to response to ebay within the dispute which I did.  I also reached out to the customer directly requesting a return but no response.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Very good point.  What gets me most is the principle of what transpired more so the money.  I've been doing this for 20 years and unfortunately this is the new world we live.  I would have thought seller protection would have played a role but obviously not.  I don't know the rules well enough for seller protection as I don't come across these situations very often.  Just pointing out a big concern I have with growing potential of people doing this type of things taking advantage of sellers more and more each year.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Hi @kc-businesses 

I'm confused why you even asked your buyer if they wanted to return the item since you appear to have 'Free 30-day returns' on all your listings.  Wouldn't you automatically issue a prepaid shipping label?

Message 15 of 29
latest reply