cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not just Christmas buyers anymore folks!

Welcome the trend of the New Year's Buyers now guys.

I had this guy purchase from me on Friday 2pm. I come in this morning (Tuesday after New years day) and at 5am the guy messages me.

"Where's my stuff the other two eBay people that I bought from just the same day as you have already sent out the stuff and I'm getting it today and you haven't even shipped s*** out what the hell's going on?!"

This guy is most likely lying about other sellers shipping out a friday order to him to arrive today after a holiday unless the sellers are his neighbor. Even so, what would you do with this guy? We were about to ship his item out now until I saw the message. IS this a warning sign?

Message 1 of 137
latest reply
136 REPLIES 136

Made an online purchase (not eBay). I paid instantly. It was not shipped for over 2 full days. It will arrive within the stated time. Should I go online to post a horrendous negative review for the company?

I have made purchases from walmart dot com that did not ship within a day. It will arrive within the stated time. Should I go online to post a horrendous negative review for Wally.

I suppose I should be a smarmy attitude buyer.

Your attitude/thinking eludes me.

------------------------------------------------------

It's eBay's platform, not yours. It's eBay's sale, not yours

----------------------------------------------------

Again, I operate in full compliance with eBay policy, and ship as stated. I'm not the one that is confused here.

Message 31 of 137
latest reply

@iamalwaysright 

Oh, I blocked him though.

-----------------------------------

Blocked when?

Per latest eBay policy (latest that I have read)...............  a block............ blocks communication from a buyer even if there has been a  transaction.

Message 32 of 137
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

I'm just wondering what your handling time is for the item and why couldn't you ship it on Saturday?

Probably 70% of my items do not ship on Saturday, but I have that stated in the listings. They may not look at the handling times but there is a better chance that they will read a full description.

One business day handling, which fell on Jan 2 for this buyer despite him expecting the item at his doorstep on that same day. I never said I couldn't ship on a Saturday, frankly I don't ship on Saturdays because I won't. See my previous reply as to why. It's just like how Costco won't open it's doors to you at 3am, but they certainly physically can. A lot of things that people say they "can't" do is a crock, it's more so that they won't. You can bet that if my life depended on it, I'd definitely ship this item out on Saturday.

Not that it matters much, but my listings do state that items aren't shipped out on weekends and holidays.

Message 33 of 137
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@iamalwaysright 

Oh, I blocked him though.

-----------------------------------

Blocked when?

Per latest eBay policy (latest that I have read)...............  a block............ blocks communication from a buyer even if there has been a  transaction.

Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. I just blocked him as I wrote that reply. So a few minutes ago.

Message 34 of 137
latest reply

@iamalwaysright 

Give your buyer the tracking information.  Give them the benefit of the doubt as they may have you confused with another seller.  This kind of thing happens from time to time.  While I haven't had one recently, over the years I've certainly dealt with many buyers like this.  Most are just confused.  Once provided with the real information they are usually fine.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 137
latest reply

If the buyer used profanity in their email to you, report it to Ebay.  You can report messages.

Message 36 of 137
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Perhaps ebay needs to put the seller's handling time back on the listing page front & center and STOP basing their ETAs on some made up fairyland delivery time based on the seller's "historical handling time".

YES. I hate how ebay does this. I get "penalized" for shipping things faster than I say I do, thanks ebay. Yet again, throwing us under the bus for the sake of making the sale and increasing our damage control.

How exactly do you get "penalized" for shipping faster than your stated handling time?

Message 37 of 137
latest reply

Yup, really 😂

As I posted. Last I knew eBay had decided to apply the "no communication"  when a block was done even if the seller does not checkmark to box blocking communication for those ID's added to the BBL.

A quick fix for those complaining that a buyer was annoying them after they had been blocked.

It has been brought to their attention that such needs to be a seller's choice because although they do not want to at this time sell to that buyer, they may still need to communicate about a past transaction.

That falls on deaf ears, and I have heard of no reversal to that "one size fits all",  policy.

Message 38 of 137
latest reply

shipping history.jpg

 buyer is presented with an estimate , as shown, with a date estimated on "historical" data rather than based upon the stated seller handling time.

Sellers then get "punished" by numpty buyers that have been misinformed by eBay telling them to expect an item days before the "ship by" date. (ship by in this example is Jan 10)

Message 39 of 137
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

shipping history.jpg

Sellers then get "punished" by numpty buyers that have been misinformed by eBay telling them to expect an item days before the "ship by" date. (ship by in this example is Jan 10)

Wait a minute. The ship by date is Jan 10, but the first date in the ebay ETA range shown to the buyer is Jan 6. Whaaaaaaaaat??? Lol, I'm being facetious. Ebay does this all the time to me and my buyers too.

@mam98031 I see this basically like the classic case of "when you them an inch, they take a mile".

Message 40 of 137
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

If I am running into these problems so are other buyers. If little ol me, who buys some stuff here (not a lot), and I have these problems, it's widespread, not just a few isolated cases. 

I'm not arguing that buyers aren't experiencing these problems or denying it. Just wanted to add that I've been fortunate for the very few times I've bought from ebay, I'd say maybe 5-6 times in the last two years, I never had an issue with late package arrivals. Then again, I don't think I was really monitoring them as they weren't really that urgent.

On a more selfish side, I can get on board with one business day handling (because I already do it and that requirement will cut my competition). But one calendar day handling is another story. I don't want to pay my guys overtime pay or create and hire two shifts of guys just to handle weekends and holidays. I think the vast majority of buyers still understand when some non-essential businesses don't run during weekends and holidays. It's the same idea as not being able to reply to a message immediately 24 hours a day, people need to sleep and I'm not hiring graveyard shift workers. Most people will understand, few won't.

I understand that. I do one day shipping as well, but have my store setting to exclude weekends and holidays as a shipping day. I ship M-F. I don't think most buyers expect weekend and holiday shipping. 

Message 41 of 137
latest reply

The ETAs that Ebay puts on purchases are drawn from the Carrier information plus the seller handling time or their historical amount of time it takes them to ship.  It is for Business Days only, which is M-F.

Message 42 of 137
latest reply

I can't speak to your problem but I do think that the USPS worked over the holiday and maybe spoiled your buyer a bit.    I had multiple people leave me feedback on New Years Day for items that I shipped on Friday the 29th late in the afternoon which kind of surprised me.  I thought USPS was closed but they must have been delivering that day at least in some cities.

Message 43 of 137
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

But for the person who sells things that are already made, there isn't an excuse to wait a week to ship it. As a seller, no one is happy to wait a week for a buyer to pay for it. You folks want to keep making excuses why a seller may not be "able" to ship in one day. All those excuses are bunk. If you can't ship in one day, you got no business selling here, IMO. 

Please tell me, why do you think that eBay sellers should be held to higher standards than major companies like Target, Macy's, Walmart, Sephora, World Market, etc.? All of these are places I order from regularly and they all ship within 2-4 days, not one day.

Message 44 of 137
latest reply

@tdl_collectibles wrote:

I can't speak to your problem but I do think that the USPS worked over the holiday and maybe spoiled your buyer a bit.    I had multiple people leave me feedback on New Years Day for items that I shipped on Friday the 29th late in the afternoon which kind of surprised me.  I thought USPS was closed but they must have been delivering that day at least in some cities.

Not only does USPS continue moving packages on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays (yes even THOSE holidays), they actually move faster than business days, because movement is the sole focus and traffic is lighter, as lots of non-commercial customers don't KNOW these facts.  -Take your average citizen with a birthday present to send, it's Friday and they could get it to their post office before closing, but they decide to wait until Monday, because they assume if they drop it off today it's just going to sit there until Monday anyway.  Multiply that times millions of people, and we commercial shippers get to drive in the fast lane. 

When I sold live fish, I shipped ONLY on Saturdays (scheduled pickup, since the only open-Saturday P.O. in my town is as far as can be from my house).  Almost without fail, my boxes would get delivered on Monday, Tuesday once in a blue moon. -It was crucial especially in winter, because the thermal heat packs only activated for 72 hours (not that the box would immediately get cold after that; you make an inner-box of 1" styrofoam + fluffy stuff for insulation).  Meanwhile I'd see other sellers in the forums of that site freaking out because their Monday ship-outs were still undelivered on Friday, etc.  

I stopped selling fish around 2018, can't even imagine how much harder it is now, what with the level of online shopping since the pandemic.  I reckon they HAVE to charge for Priority Express now.  But even for non-perishable eBay sales, I still ship on Saturdays if I get sales on Fridays (or early-enough Saturday mornings).  I don't disparage sellers who refrain from it whatsoever; I totally get why not everyone can do it.  But I do love seeing how shocked and happy my Friday-buying-Monday-receiving buyers are.  

Message 45 of 137
latest reply