cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time to Verify Sellers

It's time for eBay to have some verification process that sellers have what they publicly claimed to have for sale. This nonsense of having people coming on their site and listing things they don't have is killing the spirit of online shopping...even Amazon started following suit.

Online shopping must follow the law and the essence of the Uniform Commercial Code...

Yet, when buyers who already paid and has not gotten their item  call eBay or have eBay call them after the buyer securely logs in to have eBay call...are greeted with so much verify process, its sickening...

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: It's Time to Verify Sellers

How?     Just curious how you verify millions of users.

Message 2 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

It's time for eBay to have some verification process that sellers have what they publicly claimed to have for sale. This nonsense of having people coming on their site and listing things they don't have is killing the spirit of online shopping...even Amazon started following suit.

Online shopping must follow the law and the essence of the Uniform Commercial Code...

Yet, when buyers who already paid and has not gotten their item  call eBay or have eBay call them after the buyer securely logs in to have eBay call...are greeted with so much verify process, its sickening...

I don't think its feasible for used items but for new items, sellers should be "Qualified Dealers" of that said product. Sellers should be able to process warranty claims as well as other requirements of the "Qualified Dealer" agreement. (Minimum Advertising Pricing - MAP)

Message 3 of 134
latest reply

Seriously............. you can't be serious😂

Pretty much a virtual impossibility.

Is eBay going to send someone to inventory the shelves in my garage to verify that I have each and every item I have listed?

I do agree that a seller should not have my wife's coffee maker shipped from Home Depot after she makes the purchase from the eBay seller, but there are already policies in place for that.

Message 4 of 134
latest reply

As a buyer, you review your seller's profile before purchase. 

As a seller, you review your buyer's profile. 

I would assume you received your money back if item was not received.?

The bigger issue is eBay allowing guest buyers. 

Message 5 of 134
latest reply

Actually, as you've been told repeatedly, most of us see no point in reviewing a buyer's profile before shipping.  They pay, we ship.  This is absurd advice for sellers.

That said, buyers should do some minimum research on sellers, which is easy enough from the item page because you get the seller's rating, some basic info like where it's shipping from, and have easy access to their feedback if needed.

Message 6 of 134
latest reply

Don't know about you, maybe you've had a lot of bad experiences here, but, when I buy, I look at the last estimated delivery date in the listing.  When my item does not arrive within a few days past that, I simply open an item not received case.  This works very well without my having to cotact anyone. 

Message 7 of 134
latest reply

Respectfully, what, exactly, does a buyer's profile tell you about a buyer?  

Message 8 of 134
latest reply

I don't have much problem with used.  I do have quite a few problems with new items though.
You try to buy close to you and the item is drop shipped from who knows where.
10 days later that item you needed 4 days ago hasn't shown up and there's an Aqualine tracking that doesn't work or appears the item hasn't been shipped.
File INR and have to wait several more days before anything is resolved. 
Buy another one, see about the same thing. If it shows up, it's probably incorrect.
   Sure, I get refunded.
But now it's a month into something I needed 3 weeks ago.
  It's just getting really annoying.  People thinking they can sit in their living room and make money without touching a thing. 

Message 9 of 134
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Actually, as you've been told repeatedly, most of us see no point in reviewing a buyer's profile before shipping.  They pay, we ship.  This is absurd advice for sellers.

I think it depends on what you are selling. If someone purchases a high value item from me i will look at who is buying it from me as well as any other info i can gather from them. Feedback, Buyer location ect..   Also i tend to message the buyer to confirm that i get a response and to qualify yet again they are needing/wanting the product. If i do not have a good feeling i can still cancel and save myself from any return/fraud.

For low value sellers it may not make sense to put the extra time into the sale. Depends on the deal and circumstances. IMHO

Message 10 of 134
latest reply

It's time for eBay to have some verification process that sellers have what they publicly claimed to have for sale

There are 1.5 billion items listed on eBay. Please explain in detail how you think this proposed inventory verification program should work.

Perhaps eBay could have the seller take pictures of the item and put them in the listing 🤣

Message 11 of 134
latest reply

For those who just want to argue on checking a buyer's profile because you have nothing else better to do, just cracks me up. 

I hope none of you work in any type of security position with our government or any company / security service. 

I have spelled it out in the past. Don't come posting in the future when you get scammed by a buyer. 

Message 12 of 134
latest reply

You basically stated that a buyer should research their seller, but a seller should do nothing just because they received a payment. 😀

Unbelievable!

Message 13 of 134
latest reply

Not nothing.  They should fulfill the terms of the sale.

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

For those who just want to argue on checking a buyer's profile because you have nothing else better to do, just cracks me up. 

I hope none of you work in any type of security position with our government or any company / security service. 

I have spelled it out in the past. Don't come posting in the future when you get scammed by a buyer. 

I don't work in any type of security position, no, and neither does anyone else here in this capacity.  To suggest that matters in any way is beyond ridiculous.

And yes, we've been scammed.  Wasting our time on the 99% of legit buyers when we can just handle any scam if it happens is also absurd.

Message 14 of 134
latest reply

Any thoughts on exactly how this can be done @9ahau ?  There are policies in place to rid eBay of bad sellers and there are policies in place to rid eBay of bad buyers as well.  Buyers have more protections than sellers do, so I really don't see the issue.  You have no need to call eBay (nor can you), but you have the 30 money back guarantee, but if abused, it becomes null and void.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 134
latest reply