cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Legit? Something I haven't seen yet in my 23 years of being here.

So, this seller has a rare coin up for sale. It has a few bids on it already but at the bottom of the listing, it shows a link to their eBaystore with what they will take for the coin.  When you go to the link it takes you to the second page where you can make the offer they want for the coin. You fill out the info, name, and address stuff, click and it comes back with they will let you know if your offer was accepted. (Photo.) The seller has almost 10,000 100% FB. Any thoughts?

ebay.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Is this Legit? Something I haven't seen yet in my 23 years of being here.

@udoittwo 

[udoittwo writes]

I've been buying on eBay for years so I trust it all. This "PAWNSHOP" has 4300 feedbacks and at 100%. Is that even real?

If you used the link in the now-removed listings, that is not an actual eBay page -- you are (or were) looking at a spoof site.

Look closely at the page address. Real eBay addresses must have a slash immediately following the "ebay.com".

eBay usernames cannot have capital letters.

There is an actual username "pawnshop" account with 4300+ feedback, but it has nothing to do with those fake listings.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin 

I got off the phone with eBay support and she concurred that they cannot list like that.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

There is also a Report button on every  listing.

And of course, kyle@ebay  might want to take a look at it for forwarding.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Yep. And I suspect the seller's account that was hacked from the listing the OP saw is the same seller's account that udoittwo saw. I found several posts on this forum, and several posts on other forums all between Nov 6 and today. The hacked account had 74k listings up that were taken down within 2 days.

The "pawnshop" account which is used in the scammers off-eBay emails does not match the account that was hacked and had listings posted.

From what I read on another forum, the scammer throws up tens of thousands of listings on a hacked account, and when they're taken down they move on to another hacked account. In the 24-48 hours the listings are up they harvest countless emails to pull their off site scam.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@udoittwo,

On your other thread, you posted this picture of the listing you tried to purchase:

lacemaker3_0-1699567174383.jpeg

Would you please take a screenshot of the URL for that page, and share it with us? It's in the address box at the top of the browser window.

That would help us figure out if it was really that seller's listing that the scammer was using. I think there's a chance that that they just used the seller's user ID, and didn't really post the listing on their account. I would like to confirm if they did or not.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@udoittwo When you receive a message or email take a screenshot of it before you close it. Save them and you will have a record of all the emails.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@4pawsup* wrote:

@udoittwo When you receive a message or email take a screenshot of it before you close it. Save them and you will have a record of all the emails.

The reason the emails

"go away" is that they don't originate from eBay.

A giveaway is that they are sent to the buyers actual email address. On many email systems you have to dig deep to see that info.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I would not trust this seller. Sounds like a rip-off artist at work.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

RE the verbiage shown in the original post, yes I have seen very similar wording used a few times in Model Railroad listings. The one person that does it, gets called on it, cleans up their act for a while then goes back to it. 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply