cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a subscription for keeping track of cost basis on each item. (Sellers cost)

I have a larger store and am a one woman show.  It seems as though there must be a subscription or program that integrates with Ebay that would keep track of listed items cost basis.  ( What a seller has paid for that item.)

Rubylane allows you to put that in for items and it keeps track as you sell and list.  Its a gift from above at tax time.  I'm sure Ebay must have something but I cannot find it.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is there a subscription for keeping track of cost basis on each item. (Sellers cost)

@oldtreasuresforyou wrote:

I have a larger store and am a one woman show.  It seems as though there must be a subscription or program that integrates with Ebay that would keep track of listed items cost basis.  ( What a seller has paid for that item.)

Rubylane allows you to put that in for items and it keeps track as you sell and list.  Its a gift from above at tax time.  I'm sure Ebay must have something but I cannot find it.

I've used what is now SixBit since '99, and I may be wrong, but I've always been able to track my per-unit costs, as well as the vendor purchased from and the purchase order, if I wanted/needed that much detail.  For what I'm selling now, I use the average per unit on each item from a purchase.  Since SixBit also tracks my eBay fees (and PayPal before that), including listing fees when applied, I can get a pretty decent profit/loss figure.  Even better when I include my postage/shipping cost.  I -could- add the average overhead per sale to the mix, but that's a bit deeper than I need to go -- I track those costs separately and report them as deductions to my gross eBay income.

The main issue, I would think, would be volume.  Not historical volume -- that's low access stuff, getting lower the more time passes, and can be easily stored in secondary systems where it's available...just not as quickly.  Real time volume - active listings, sold/unsold listings, drafts, pictures, communications... these have to be accessed faster and far more frequently, which adds expense.  And expense decreases the net profits and so much be highly controlled.

Personally, I prefer keeping my business data on my business PC, under my lock & key so to speak.  I get that with SixBit and I'm quite happy with it.  Even when I was doing consignment sales, SB was able to capture and allow me to extract the data I needed to keep my clients informed about what had sold, for how much, and what fees applied against that sale.  It also came in handy when filing tax forms... long before eBay was required by States & the Feds to do so.  By being able to account for my sales and my deductions, I only paid income tax on what was actually income and not gross sales.

Automation is generally quite good at managing those nagging little details that can make the difference between profit and loss.  If I had to track all of that on paper, by hand.... I think I'd go back to IT consulting.  It would still be 1099 work, but at a significantly higher hourly rate, and much easier to track expenses.

Your instinct to have your PC track all that is good.  Expecting eBay to manage it all, and be concerned enough to correct 'glitches' and the data they damage, may be a bit 'rose colored glasses'.  It's your business, your bottom line, your income taxes.  Get automation and don't rely solely on eBay records.

I don't recall seeing anywhere that eBay does that yet... and there's an aspect of "business partner" in managing that kind of info for sellers.  Plus... if you get decent automation of your own... it can probably manage that same data from other venues as well... allowing you to more easily grow beyond just eBay.

I'm looking forward to hearing from others..... that's usually where the best solutions come from - mixing what works from a variety of sources to create what works best for me, or you, or anyone else.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Is there a subscription for keeping track of cost basis on each item. (Sellers cost)

SellerLedger.com. Fantastic  bookeeping system. All you would ever need to keep track of sales all the ebay fees, anything you sell or purchase. Starts at 10 dollars a month depending on how much data you use. FABULOUS!!!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

SellerLedger.com integrates all the ebay data, all the paypal data. Simple easy to use interface.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The developer of Seller Ledger was working on getting other platforms on it as well, not sure how many they have now but Ebay is one of them. You might be able to integrate Ruby Lane not sure.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

EBAY does not have anything like that.  i just created Excel spread to track my expenses and cost of goods sold inventory.    Link below shows companies you can pay to track EBAY inventory.

https://www.3dsellers.com/blog/8-top-ebay-inventory-management-tools-ebay-inventory

EBAY also has "easy to read" 1-page report that shows YTD totals for (orders, returns, EBAY fees, shipping expense).   For that report...go to Payments, Reports, REPORTS (NEW) and click on LAST YEAR.  This is very useful when tax time comes around.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

No, eBay has nothing like that.

There are tax accounting programs out there if you google them, I know you can download information from eBay to them but I don't know how they handle the cost.

Sixbit Software comes in different levels, he is using the Small Business Software level.  I've been using it like Bob, since around 1999 and love it.  The software will do everything they say it will.  They are very responsive to eBay's sudden changes or additions.   It's a monthly subscription so if you try it and don't like it, you cancel at the end of the month and pay no penalty.   I especially appreciate the fact the software support is US based.  Even my "low priority" questions get answers quickly.  

You do need to know 2 things -- 1) Sixbit Software is a desktop software and does not use the cloud or their servers to hold your data .  2) Neither Bob nor I receive any consideration for suggesting SixBit Software.  We are just happy users and want to share the happiness.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply