cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else disgruntled w/CONDITION DESCRIPTION now "Seller Notes" - Must press READ MORE 2x

This is the umpteenth time now that prospective buyers inquired and now an actual Buyer has missed some very IMPORTANT information because they are no longer able to see the CONDITION DESCRIPTION box in full without having to press on "READ MORE" TWICE.   It used to be the "CONDITION / Read More" under the title dropped down to a small box where the prospective buyer could read the FULL condition description written by the Seller, key info needed in order to decide purchasing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----The Seller has to include CONDITION DESCRIPTION ( i ) while making the listing.

Click on the ( i ) and eBay states: "CONDITION DESCRIPTION: LET THE BUYER KNOW WHAT MAKES YOUR ITEM UNIQUE, INCLUDING ANY INTERESTING FEATURES OR FLAWS"
----------------------------- Pretty darn IMPORTANT info, yes??? -------------------------

--Under the Live Listing TITLE, it says CONDITION with a highlighted READ MORE that a viewer used to click on and be taken to the specifics the Seller puts in when making the listing.  The "letting-your-buyer-know-what-makes-the-item-unique,-including-any-interesting-features-or-flaws" part.

---------------------------------------------- NOW??? ----------------------------------------

Viewer presses this highlighted "READ MORE" and it takes them to this giant box full of "ITEM SPECIFICS" that are hard on the eye - most viewers just scan them and move on --- but instead of being able to READ the MORE, it no longer says CONDITION DESCRIPTION, it says a very passive "SELLER NOTES" --- which sounds random and meaningless, so most viewers skip this, unless they happen to press the second, non-highlighted, seemingly unimportant "READ MORE"  --

-------------------- So what's the big deal?  Seems petty doesnt it?----------------------

So some viewers miss the CONDITION Description because they skip the SELLER NOTES, and they make inquiry about something they would have known had the FULL condition description appeared-- Thus a Seller has to take time to reply, which is annoying at times, but OK, so we open a nice dialogue which may lead to a sale.  "Gee, we guess you missed the Seller Notes that are part of the Condition... If you click on Read More, you'll see where we explain......"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------ However, now we have a BUYER who missed the 2nd READ MORE --------------

Our recent feedback, tho' positive, reads "Ship Fast but one bowl is cracked" -- its not the feedback so much as they  are obviously disappointed.  We wrote to them to explain what they had missed.  We want people to be happy!!!  

--------------But proves the point:  Had they pressed on the CONDITION READ MORE under the title and been brought to the FULL Seller-written description as of old, they'd have seen we FULLY explain the crack in the one bowl.  Instead, they were brought to an incomplete SELLER NOTES, with a second, non-highlighted READ MORE  -- which looks unimportant and they, like so many others, skipped reading this critical information: "One bowl has a tiny thread of a crack on inner side, doesnt go all the way through, Unsure if still useable, but we think it should be.. Try it and see!  Otherwise, Use the 3 for lunch, and put the other to display ---USE PHOTOS"..........."

-----------------We are LUCKY they didnt open a return as "Item Not As Described"

which of course it IS as described, which would have meant the time and energy disputing the claim, risking a defect, and the potential of losing them as a customer because they did not have easy access to the FULL CONDITION DESCRIPTION in the first place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right above the giant box of "Item Specifics" it reads "SELLER ASSUMES ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS LISTING."

Then we ask: where is eBay's responsibility to help viewers and prospective buyers be able to see easily the CONDITION DESCRIPTION that is critical to the listing????????????????????????

If it is so vital for Sellers to include the Condition Description when making a listing in order to Assume All Responsibility for the listing, then it should be readily available for viewers to read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------EBAY needs to go back to the one-click READ MORE that drops to a full CONDITION DESCRIPTION box without the passive wording "Seller Notes" and without needing the easily missed, second, non-highlighted Read More.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There, we've groused.  Been on eBay more than a quarter of a century.  Tired of eBay fixing things that dont need fixing, and NOT fixing things that do.  Thanks.  Be well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* BTW: In our CONDITION DESCRIPTION aka "Seller Notes" where we say: "USE PHOTOS" -- Dont get us started on the fact that most viewers do NOT scroll through the photos.   Are we the only ones who get asked for a measurement when had the viewer scrolled through the photos they'd have found the one with the ruler????? (yes, we include them in the description that rarely gets fully read!!)

------- Had our buyer scrolled through the photos they'd have seen we also had a closeup view of the cracked bowl!!!!!!  AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Is anyone else disgruntled w/CONDITION DESCRIPTION now "Seller Notes" - Must press REA

I feel like lately the item's page is just Ebay's ad for everyone other seller rather than focusing on the item and info about it.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Re: Is anyone else disgruntled w/CONDITION DESCRIPTION now "Seller Notes" - Must press REA

As a long time buyer on eBay with background 'going over contracts with a fine toothed comb' I agree with what you say.

I've seen eBay items for sale postings evolve since practically the beginning and always scan thoroughly from top to bottom of page and any click throughs related to the description of what I am buying.

Changes to format can easily trick users in statistically measurable ways into "pulling the trigger" on a purchase only to be disappointed later, and, it may 😉 (I hate seeing the word 'may' in a description as in, 'may have a personal inscription/other identifying marks' ie: as in remainder marks on book edges) be exactly what eBay wants to beef up earnings since they most certainly have the data on rates of purchases with percentages of returns on every item category and every seller.

That said, I have my gripes too especially where books are concerned. See, years ago when I began buying books on eBay listings for books described as 'Good' arrived in what would be within eBay current guidelines of 'Very Good' to 'Like New' complete with dust jackets in excellent condition! Well, guess what? Now eBay guidelines for 'Good' allow for 'may not include dust jacket' (and also markings, underlines etc, from prior user/s) so, if I scan listings for a book I want, if it's listed as in 'Good' condition with no mention of dust jacket and a 'stock photo' of it with the dust jacket and no remarks by the seller mentioning 'includes dust-jacket'/'dust jacket included, has a slight tear on back flap' etc. I have to assume it has no dust jacket and the condition is likely not above and beyond the eBay guidelines for 'Good' as a descriptor. One way I am able to confirm this is sometimes sellers will also list the same book on a big reseller such as Amazon. Since Amazon's used book descriptor standards are a little lower than eBay's, if I see it listed as 'Good' on eBay and 'Very Good' on Amazon I know the chance it will not have a dust jacket is greater than 90% since Amazon allows for a missing dust jacket for their descriptor of 'Very Good' and it's mostly resellers who are dealing in mass quantities of used books where this type of posting occurs. There is one mass reseller here on eBay who will post and remark on

books they know do not have a dust jacket deliberately without a stock photo and a notation 'no dj'  as well as 'has significant highlighting and user notes' which is great and I have bought schooling related recommended books that way since the titles are not necessarily something I would need to have a dust jacket on.

In closing, descriptors and descriptions are vital to seller's for sales and buyers for satisfaction upon receipt!

Message 32 of 32
latest reply