cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This Ebay Sweepstakes Gift Card Prize Notification Real or Is It a Scam ?

Last week, I got an e-mail today from:

eBay <noreply@prizelogic.com>

E-Mail Title: Congratulations! Here's your eBay Gift Card. 

Telling me that I won a $50 eBay Gift Card in the eBay Clean for Green Sweepstakes.

I remember entering a few eBay contests, but I do not remember the names of them.

I have to click on a link in order to get the redemption code ..... the link to get the redemption code is to:

ht.......tps://www........vcdelivery.com/certificate___________and then another 100 or so characters after that.

Every other link in the message ..... including all of the links to different departments at eBay ..... goes to:

ht__tps://plm2e.com_______and then another 100 or so characters after that.

tyler@ebay

brian.t@ebay

trinton@ebay

Can any of you tell me if that is a legitimate e-mail ?

I forwarded the message to spoof@ebay ...... 5 times ! ...... but I have not received a reply.

I also forwarded the message to Prizelogic who, on their web site, shows some eBay sweepstakes ..... but no reply from them either.

I would think that if I really won a prize in an eBay Sweepstakes that I entered ..... that eBay would send me the message through the eBay Message System ...... and I would think that the redemption code would be in that same message from eBay.

If Prizelogic administered the Clean for Green Sweepstakes ..... then why is the link for the redemption code NOT going to the Prizelogic web site ..... instead of the link going to vcdelivery web site ?

And why are all of the links to eBay going to that plm2e web site ?

I could really use the $50 .... but all of those links are WAY to suspicious for me to click on them.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Is This Ebay Sweepstakes Gift Card Prize Notification Real or Is It a Scam ?

@a_c_green wrote:

VCDelivery seems to have ties to Best Buy gift cards as well. The company itself may be legitimate, but the bigger question is whether the email you received is actually from them. The usual rule of thumb is that the prize is probably a scam if you don't remember even entering the contest. You'd think that eBay would have at least sent you a heads-up message to your account in advance, telling you that the card is on the way.

The e-mail that I received did not come from VCDELIVERY.

It came from:

eBay <noreply@prizelogic.com>

I do remember entering 2 Ebay Sweepstakes ..... one was where I had to match identical photos of items in a certain amount of time ..... like one of the old TV game shows that I can't remember the name of.

And the other sweepstakes was where I had to guess which of the shown 2 items had the greater price value.

And I don't remember the name of either sweepstakes.

And your comment that ....... "You'd think that eBay would have at least sent you a heads-up message to your account in advance, telling you that the card is on the way." .......... was exactly the same concern that I raised in my original message above.

Not only that, but Ebay could have also included the redemption code thing in the same message "IF" that message had originally been sent through the Ebay Message System.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: Is This Ebay Sweepstakes Gift Card Prize Notification Real or Is It a Scam ?

>>fake. look at the email domain. if it was legit, it would come from ebay. Just ignore and delete.

100% incorrect. eBay and most other large outfits (stupidly) outsource many of their email marketing and promotions emails to email/promotions companies.

(BTW, I just finished vetting the actual email and it is legitimate)
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Prizelogic is a legitimate sweepstakes administrator. VC Delivery is a third party provider of gift certificates and codes. As a sweeper, I've received my fair share of Prizelogic winning emails grin  and  redeemed more than a few GCs from VC Delivery. sunglasses

Plm2e.com is an email marketing company, according to Google.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Trinton's on vacation.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I've received messages confirming they are phishing.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>fake. look at the email domain. if it was legit, it would come from ebay. Just ignore and delete.

100% incorrect. eBay and most other large outfits (stupidly) outsource many of their email marketing and promotions emails to email/promotions companies.

(BTW, I just finished vetting the actual email and it is legitimate)

I forwarded "a dump of the entire RAW email message including headers" to @eberserkerplanet ....... and with his rather amazing computer skills, he was able to confirm that the e-mail from Prizelogic was legitimate, that the link to VCDELIVERY.COM was not a link to a dangerous web site, and that there were no computer viruses or anything else like that in the e-mail from Prizelogic.

With that assurance, plus the other helpful information that other members provided in this message thread ..... I clicked on the link to VCDELIVERY.COM, I got the redeemption code, I activated the Gift Card, and then by following the directions, I was able to check the Gift Card section of my My Ebay Page to verify that the Gift Card balance was showing up as $50 being available to spend.

A BIG thumbs-up to @berserkerplanet for his amazing computer skills, his volunteering to help me with those skills .... and for him being able to answer all of my original questions  after he analyzed "the dump of the e-mail" with his computer skills !

Thank You Very Much @berserkerplanet !

Hopefully, this message thread will help other prize winners in the future who had the same questions and concerns that I did when I got the message from Prizelogic in my personal e-mail account ONLY with all of those non-Ebay links in the message.

flipper2flipper

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Prizelogic is a legitimate sweepstakes administrator. VC Delivery is a third party provider of gift certificates and codes. As a sweeper, I've received my fair share of Prizelogic winning emails grin  and  redeemed more than a few GCs from VC Delivery. sunglasses

Plm2e.com is an email marketing company, according to Google.

Thank You @southern*sweet*tea, that was very helpful information !

Message 22 of 22
latest reply