cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing the Listing Quality Report

It looks like eBay is finally ready to release the Listing Quality Report to more sellers.

https://cloud.forbusiness.ebay.com/US_Listing_Quality_Report__main 

LQR.jpg

I hope they've gotten everything ironed out from all the feedback provided over the last few months.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-Listing-Quality-Report/td-p/31502684 

I was a bit disappointed to see that variation listings are still not included when @Anonymous  had previously said that would be in the improvements they had on the "road map" for January-March.  @mcdougle4248 

LQR2.jpg

Now that's it's been released into the wild - I'd love to hear from more sellers what they think of the newest version of this report!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Introducing the Listing Quality Report

I've had some time to dig into the newest version of the Listing Quality Report.  It is definitely an improvement, but I'm still seeing a few places where the data doesn't look right.

By way of full disclosure - the screenshots below are from a different account than my previous posts about this report. It's also important to note that this is only one example from one seller and other sellers may or may not see the same things in their own reports.

One issue I see that may still be lingering is "column misalignment." When I had previously asked @Anonymous  why the data appeared to be incorrect in some sections, he said it was not a "formatting bug, but a mismatch of data."

One example I had given of this kind of mismatch previously was that eBay showed 100% Promoted Listings usage with an average 0% ad rate, which is statistically not possible since the minimum ad rate is 1%.

In a similar vein, it now appears that for both the top and bottom 10% of competitors, eBay is showing 0% of listings using Promoted Listings but then lists an average rate percentage (in this example 4% and 3%) which again would not be possible if 0% of their listings were promoted.

This screenshot represents one category, but every other category in the report for this account looks the same - all of them show competitors with 0% Promoted Listings, but then showing a non-zero number for the average ad rate.

promotions5-3.jpg

It's also interesting to note which kinds of promotions eBay is showing as "not relevant" - if this is accurate it would seem Promoted Listings only have an impact on Impressions, but not Click Through or Sales Conversion. All other discounts/promotions would appear to impact Click Through and Sales Conversion, but not Impressions.

More interesting data as far as what eBay considers relevant or not - some of these make sense, but as a fairly experienced online seller and buyer I have to admit that UPC has never been a factor in my personal sales conversion decisions nor have I ever seen it appear to have much impact on my customers.

As a bit of a data geek at heart, I think it would be really interesting to get a more in depth look at exactly how eBay determines this "relevancy", but I suspect it is proprietary and not something Harry and the team would readily share.

notrelevent1.jpg

One new addition this this version of the report is the inclusion of actual average handling times and in transit times.

shipping5-3.jpg

While it's understandable eBay may favor sellers with faster average shipping times in best match search (resulting in more impressions), I have to wonder about the effect on click through and sales conversions.

Buyers do not have any visibility to sellers' actual handling times or average shipping times in transit - all they see is the expected delivery date shown by eBay which eBay admits is derived from their own algorithms and "historical shipping times" for that seller, not what the seller actually sets for handling time on the listing or real time up to date time in transit estimates from the carriers.

Given the fact that the handling and shipping time calculation isn't transparent, it's difficult to determine whether or not that really has a clear impact on click throughs and conversions.

Overall, the Listing Quality Report 2.0 seems to be an improvement as far as data provided, but I'm still left wondering exactly how a seller would find most of this information truly useful.

Many of the recommendations and opportunities boil down to things most sellers are already well aware that eBay recommends - Free/Fast Shipping, Free Returns, Increased Promoted Listings Rates, Discounts/Best Offers, Multiple Pictures, and Item Specifics.

In my experience as a seller, and from talking to other experienced sellers, my take is that many sellers are already doing these things and the ones who are not have chosen not to do so as a calculated business decision, not because they are unaware of what eBay advises.

If a seller has already determined any of those recommendations are not a good fit for their business model or are cost prohibitive, I don't see anything in this report that is likely to sway them.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

One issue I see that may still be lingering is "column misalignment." When I had previously asked @Anonymous  why the data appeared to be incorrect in some sections, he said it was not a "formatting bug, but a mismatch of data."

This from a company that cannot seem to figure out how to stop listing their package dimensions backwards on the Shipping Label form after 18 months.

Overall, the Listing Quality Report 2.0 seems to be an improvement as far as data provided, but I'm still left wondering exactly how a seller would find most of this information truly useful.

I get the sense that the only reason they're pushing out this data because they can, rather than because there was a demand for it. It's easier to invent new reports and such than to devote the same resources to problem-solving the current system, debugging and so on, all those boring things that don't seem to have a benefit to their costs, but which result long-term in a better site that benefits everyone.

When there are so many listings that are virtually incomplete and borderline illiterate, with blurry photos and descriptions reading simply "Condition is used," then I don't think the primary need here is for more charts that will be read and understood by only a very small percentage of sellers, even if those sellers have more than the usual amount of traffic. The users who would benefit from that are probably those who have already figured it out for themselves.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Stupid useless mess. I wonder how many sellers actually have time and look at this  nonsense, let alone change their selling habits based on this. Instead of streamlining , eBay's goal seems to be cutter ,confuse, and deceive. I think they hire people to help make sellers job more difficult.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Good posts all. I haven't dug into the reports.  I expect the reports to be only bad data.

Terms like  "benchmark", "trending", and "relevant" have no rigorous meaning at eBay.  eBay uses the terms to lend an aurora of legitimacy to their actions. That is all.

Variation in outcomes among sellers and variation in outcomes by listing attribute for any given seller are the result of eBay search algorithm. The end.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I tried to look at the screenshots but saw only gibberish. The reports seem only applicable to  recently manufactured items with URLS.  For a vintage/antique seller with one of a kind items, this sort of report would be totally useless.   eBay started out as a market for Beanie Babies, but it seems to have forgotten that their original sellers dealt in vintage/antique/collectible items.  Surprise, surprise. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Or rather ISBNS and UPCs.  Trying to do one too many things at once.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Now that's it's been released into the wild - I'd love to hear from more sellers what they think of the newest version of this report!

If I listened to ebay on how to better sell my items I would have gone broke years ago.

I don't want ebay's help on how to make ebay money quicker.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

We're still not seeing a listing quality report in seller hub.  Under research, there is a listing improvements section that only recommends we lower our prices on several products (which we cannot do since there are minimum advertised pricing requirements on all the products they mention).  We're assuming the listing quality report is something more extensive, but we don't seem to have access to it, or don't know how to access it.  Do sellers need to request access or perhaps it hasn't been activated for all sellers yet?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@endeavourtoys  it should be under Performance>Traffic

listingreport.jpg

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

What we see in that location is a listing traffic report that provides info on impressions, page views, CTR, etc.  We don't have anything under traffic that pertains to listing quality.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

endeavourtoys

The Listings Quality Report does NOT show as a Traffic Report. It is a LINK only: you must click on the button that says Download Listings Quality Report, the button is found ABOVE the actual reports. When you click on that, it will start a download which you can then open.

Perhaps if you provide a screenshot of the top of your Traffic Report page, we could figure out what is going on?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

The download I see is a traffic report not listing quality:

Screenshot (16).png

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hmmmm....I thought this had rolled out to everyone. Try looking at the spot on the Performance tab>Summary page...that's another place the button should show up. If it isn't there, I'd have to guess that for some reason it hasn't been rolled out to you....but you could check with ebay about that....

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@endeavourtoys  @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  is right, it looks like it hasn't rolled out to you yet.

Here's what the Traffic page should look like if you have it.

LQR3.jpg

I thought it had been rolled out to everyone too, so I'm not sure why you don't see it. 🤔 You are a US seller and I see you have a store, so I would assume you have a business account? As far as I know you should qualify to be be able to access this report.

tyler@ebay  - can you confirm if/when the Listing Quality Report will be rolled out to all sellers, if it is only available for certain store subscribers and/or if there is any way for sellers who want it but don't have it yet to request access?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply