cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International shipping question

I'm concerned, but not sure if I need to be.  Sold three items via best offer to France. these are counted cross stitch kits (not a high scam item in any universe). I usually sell by the global shipping program, but it didn't seem to work on this purchase. So I quoted the padded international flat rate shipping in the invoice.  

She paid. When I went to do the shipping label, it says that no tracking is available for this service.  So I looked at the limitations and it says that France is not part of tracking.  

My inclination is just to ship and hope for the best. These are not a high scam items.  The total was $55 for the kits and $35 for shipping.  Definitely would hate to lose the kits and my money, but is this really a scammer type of situation?  Any thoughts from y'all?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: International shipping question

I type slow sometimes. I didn't see your edit.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I edit slow! I was editing when you were posting. But you're correct. I always emphasize First class Package International because some people end up thinking that they have to ship priority, that's what that link was showing.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Can I just say that this confusion (probably all me) is exactly why I use the Global Shipping service.

On the shipping page (on ebay), I have found the shipping for first class international package.  There is still a message in red that says "Delivery Confirmation is not available for this shipping service, for the destination country that you've selected"

ALSO, first class international is cheaper than priority mail padded flat rate envelope.  But I charged her for the latter service. So should I send it that way anyway (faster?)  Or should I go on and do the first class international package way and then refund through paypal for the difference?  

Thanks for the help!

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

The Priority Mail padded flat rate envelope is classified as First Class when shipping internationally.  It is not faster.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

But the padded flat rate envelope costs 34.25 to mail and first class international package is 20.10.  So how can these be the same service?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@craftysandy1961wrote:

But the padded flat rate envelope costs 34.25 to mail and first class international package is 20.10.  So how can these be the same service?

It's FLAT RATE. It will cost $34.25 no matter if it weighs one ounce or the max, four pounds.

Flat rate anything is not always the better value.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

The flat rate international envelope and small flat rate box are always treated the same as first class intl,

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@craftysandy1961 wrote: 
Okay, I just looked and apparently I can do first class international at that weight. But the ebay shipping is still telling me that it doesn't have delivery confirmation.  Help!

First Class International packages do indeed have Delivery Confirmation; I ship to France on a low but regular basis. What I have long suspected is that the eBay Shipping form is showing you a bogus warning because it does not recognize the country name in the address field for some silly reason (e.g. maybe it's abbreviated as "Fr," or is in upper-and-lower case when the form was looking for "FRANCE" in all-caps). That doesn't change the fact that France is a member of the e-DELCON countries, and you will see tracking and Delivery Confirmation reported back.

Here's where I think things get a little sticky in your case: your buyer did indeed already pay you for the Priority Mail shipment, so I would be inclined to just ship it that way, and quietly keep First Class International in mind for your next listing. You're not shipping a high-value, high-scam item, so even if that particular package type doesn't offer tracking (most but not all Flat Rate packages do), I doubt you'll get an Item Not Received dispute on this.

Speed-wise, I can't see that there's much difference between FCI and Priority for International shipping. Certainly Priority isn't going to make the plane go faster. While it might get quicker handling in the U.S., I wouldn't expect much "priority" treatment in foreign countries; FCI is probably just as quick. I can say as one data point that a First Class package I mailed from Chicago last month made it to the buyer in Scotland in four days.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@craftysandy1961  If the items weigh less than 4 lbs PACKAGED in a box AND the box is less then 24 inches long then use USPS First Class International Package, it has the Delcon electronic confirmation to France.   That service will be less then $ 25.00 for your cost ... probably less then $ 23.00.  Anyway, the only thing you need to be prepared for is the horrible French mail service ... apparently, Italy and France are the worst.  I had one go to Italy ... it arrived in Milano but then took several WEEKS to get to the Buyer ... they were great however and said that's normal.  In comparison, on March 31st I shipped a package to Switzerland same way as the Italy shipment ... it arrived on April 3rd and Buyer left great FB ... 4 days compared to over 3 weeks! 

So the only real risk seems to be a late delivery, the Buyer processes an INR claim and 3 days after that eBay refunds the Buyer the money even if the item gets delivered with confirmation ... you lose the item and the money ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@craftysandy1961wrote:

Okay, I just looked and apparently I can do first class international at that weight. But the ebay shipping is still telling me that it doesn't have delivery confirmation.  Help!

eBay is not the post office. I would not rely on them for details about what service the USPS provides. I would check with the USPS for that. 

FWIW I have shipped dozens of 1-2 pound items to France by First Class International and have never had an issue. I don't even bother to check the tracking on FCI anymore. 

As for the overcharge on shipping, I would refund down to the retail counter price ($23.50, I think). IMHO the discount belongs to you if you want it. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote: 
FWIW I have shipped dozens of 1-2 pound items to France by First Class International and have never had an issue. I don't even bother to check the tracking on FCI anymore.  

Here (below) is an example of tracking and Delivery Confirmation on a First Class International package to France. Travel time for this example was eight days. (Side note: Even though it's from June of last year, this international shipment tracking is still retrievable from usps.com. It's apparently only the domestic tracking that they dump after four months.)

Tracking Number: LK202891481US

Your item was delivered in FRANCE at 2:48 pm on June 15, 2017.

Status Delivered

June 15, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Delivered

FRANCE 

June 14, 2017, 2:46 pm
Attempted Delivery Abroad
FRANCE

June 12, 2017, 4:26 am
Processed Through Facility
FRANCE

June 11, 2017, 7:57 am
Departed
PARIS, FRANCE

June 10, 2017, 4:06 pm
Departed
MINNEAPOLIS, UNITED STATES

June 10, 2017, 12:01 am
Departed
CHICAGO, UNITED STATES

June 9, 2017, 4:35 pm
Arrived
CHICAGO, UNITED STATES

June 9, 2017, 2:34 am
Processed Through Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

June 8, 2017, 8:40 pm
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility

June 8, 2017, 8:40 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

June 8, 2017, 8:40 am
Arrived at Regional Facility

June 7, 2017, 1:32 pm
Departed Post Office
MCHENRY, IL 60050 

June 7, 2017, 8:03 am
USPS in possession of item
MCHENRY, IL 60050 

June 7, 2017, 4:49 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
MCHENRY, IL 60050 

June 7, 2017
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Thanks so much to all who weighed in on this issue. I went with the priority mail international and am happy to see a tracking number on the label!  I will refund the difference through paypal. Thanks again! Sandy

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

" I went with the priority mail international and am happy to see a tracking number on the label!  I will refund the difference through paypal. "

Huh?

Message 28 of 28
latest reply