cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested buyer, but offer from another. Can I inform interested buyer?

I have an item listed for sale at Price/OBO. A potential buyer asked me a question about shipping techniques and said he wanted to buy it if I satisfied his concern. I then got an offer for less than asking price. 

I have not replied to the offer yet. 

Is it ethical or within the rules to suggest to the first potential buyer that there is an offer pending? I think he would probably offer me full price. 

Again, I haven't responded to the offer yet, and of course the first buyer may not offer anything, but I sort of feel like I want to give him a chance, (and I wouldn't mind getting full price, or closer to it.) 

What's the protocol?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@stuff4divas wrote:

@randytriplett   so, did u message him back to 'satisfy his shipping techniques' ? if so, what did he say? if not, move on to the next customer

I assume we're talking about the $250 Celestron telescope, so it's not unreasonable that a prospective buyer might want some reassurance that the seller will know how to pack it safely. I'd be double-boxing that, IMHO.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@randytriplett wrote:

I have an item listed for sale at Price/OBO. A potential buyer asked me a question about shipping techniques and said he wanted to buy it if I satisfied his concern. I then got an offer for less than asking price. 

I have not replied to the offer yet. 

Is it ethical or within the rules to suggest to the first potential buyer that there is an offer pending? I think he would probably offer me full price. 

If he wants to pay full price, he can simply do that anytime. Someone who does a Make Offer for the same amount as your full BuyItNow price is hoping to lead you into a scam, most likely a fake payment notification leading to a fake directive to ship before you have actually been paid. They're hoping to work around an Immediate Payment Required setting on your BuyItNow price. (The IPR setting is an option, but one that you should have on your BuyItNow price so that no one can snatch your item off the market without actually paying you for it first.)

To answer your question: Yes, anyone submitting an offer is told that other rival offers are pending, if so.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@randytriplett wrote:

There is no need for a buyer to offer full price. If he wanted to pay full price he would just buy it.

That aside ...

If I asked a question and the seller sent me a "hurry up, someone else is interest" message, I would assume he was bluffing. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@randytriplett   so, did u message him back to 'satisfy his shipping techniques' ? if so, what did he say? if not, move on to the next customer

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

I assume we're talking about the $250 Celestron telescope, so it's not unreasonable that a prospective buyer might want some reassurance that the seller will know how to pack it safely. I'd be double-boxing that, IMHO.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I would tell the interested buyer that you have TEN other offers.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Of course I know that the first potential buyer can buy it at full price while it's listed, or offer something else. That's understood. 

And I'm not trying to trick anyone, nor do I have any idea someone is trying to trick me. 

I did answer his question about shipping, but that was very early this morning and I haven't heard back. Of course he may not respond. I am aware of that. But he was first to show interest and I thought I'd at least give him until evening to respond, before accepting the other ebayer's offer. 

I'm only trying to do the right thing, per the rules and per common courtesy. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm not trying to pressure the first guy, I just thought I'd give him a chance before moving on.

I do have a valid offer on the table, so I am not really concerned about him thinking I was bluffing. 

That said I also have a good reputation on ebay and don't want to jeopardize that. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yep. I ship delicate and heavy stuff and know how to do it and I was not surprised about his concerns. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

What's the protocol?

@randytriplett 

I take into account the users' feedback for others, how much it'll cost to (properly, of course) ship to both users, etc. Heck, I don't take 'first come, first served' into consideration at all. Are they apples to apples?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If it was me and I was willing to take the offer then I would just run out the clock and wait until right before that offer expired to see if the first person buys it at full price. Or maybe send him an official offer through the messaging system that is slightly less than full price but more than the other offer you have.

This is of course assuming both people have excellent feedback left for others and nobody leaves a lot of negatives.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I sent an official offer to the first guy. As his question to me about shipping was late last evening, I figure I will see if he responds tonight and make my decision in the morning. 

Both ebayers have good feedback. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply