cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely excessive fees

I occasionally sell stuff on Ebay that I have no more use for. Guess I haven't sold anything in a while. I remember 2-3% seller fees in the past. For the item I recently sold I was charged 17.24% for ($15.34 on a net item value of $89). That is insane!! I will no longer sell on Ebay! Question: What other platforms are out there that are more reasonable and that people have good experience with? Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Insanely excessive fees

You're remembering wrong, or based on different information.  While the Final Value Fee was lower, there have always been other fees involved like Paypal's transaction fees that brought the total up to similar to what it is now. 

For the item you sold, it was $89 plus $25.24 for a total of $114.24 plus any applicable taxes, so your final value fee was about 13.42%, right in line with what eBay says the fees would be.  If you didn't know what they would be before you listed, you shouldn't have listed it at all.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

Guess you haven't sold for a long while then, because I returned to active selling in 2014 and it was ~13% 10 years ago.

I think you'll find few if any are 'more reasonable', and if they are they have infinitely less traffic which decreases the chances of someone actually buying your items.

Things that can 'skew the math' that makes the percentage feel higher than the stated percentage:  Fees are charged on the entire transaction, including sales tax and shipping.   Which has *always* been the case for processing fees, but it feels more now because more states than ever require sales tax for online purchases.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

@88twin wrote:

I occasionally sell stuff on Ebay that I have no more use for. Guess I haven't sold anything in a while. I remember 2-3% seller fees in the past. For the item I recently sold I was charged 17.24% for ($15.34 on a net item value of $89). That is insane!! I will no longer sell on Ebay! Question: What other platforms are out there that are more reasonable and that people have good experience with? Thanks!

You are mistaken.

Fees were never 2-3%.

On that measuring wheel...

You were not charged 17.24%. You were charge 13.25%.

Anything more than that would have been an optional additional fee that you choose to pay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

You will find that most platforms are comparable in pricing when you add everything up. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

what is a net item value?

I have been here since like forever....Even when the selling fees (ebay) were separate from the processing (PayPal), I don't recall 2-3%...maybe I am wrong.....

(although Paypal was 2.9%...maybe that's what you remember)

since you will no longer sell on ebay, why are you even asking about other platforms.

They are out there. Etsy, Amazon, Poshmark, Offerup, Mercari, Prairie Grit,......knock yourself out....

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

Still brought you more than a yard sale would have.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

Most people fail to realize this.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

@88twin wrote:

That is something you can easily research for yourself.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

You made 100% profit.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

The fee schedule is posted in more than one place on eBay.

Sorry you didn't look at it before re-entering the selling game here.

In most categories, the FVF is 13.25% and is calculated on the item price, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if any.  Just for fun, put  in only those numbers and figure out what 13.25% of that is and see how that works out.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

"I remember 2-3 % seller fees"...wow...when was that?

California tax is 7.25 % on anything.

"what other platforms...?"...enjoy establishing yourself on other platforms...just getting here was no piece of cake. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

@jscar59 wrote:

Still brought you more than a yard sale would have.

Unless of course they want to return it and send back a waffle rather than the game they purchased - Or better yet, they do a credit card chargeback and you lose the game/money and get a $20 fee for ebay "defending" you in the case.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

@88twin wrote:

Yes - I agree - Our avg fees were close or near 20% of the items selling price - We don't list here anymore due to fees and the Money Back Guarantee that makes it so easy for someone to steal your item.

But you know...What you should have done is used the Promoted Listings option and promoted your listing at the approximated "recommended" rate of 13.25% and paid them double the fees - You would have sold it quicker...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Insanely excessive fees

@88twin 

I truly has been a long time since you sold on this site.  It was about the year 2000 that fees were that low.  So many things have changed in the last 25 years, not just on this site but in the world in general.

Before listing anything it seems normal to do a little research on what it is going to cost you to sell here some 25 years later.

Seller Fee Policy

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 18
latest reply