Indiana man indicted on $2mil eBay & PayPal fraud

41 REPLIES 41

Re: Indiana man indicted on $2mil eBay & PayPal fraud

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@bar-29368 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@bar-29368 wrote:

I doubt it.

He obviously had criminal connections to start with to be able to get the information needed to set up those accounts in the first place.

And, your point? 

LOL I apparently haven't (yet) reached your level of cynicism. 

What?  What cynicism?  I just remember things like 'Elron'.  Wasn't that something of a 'corner office adventure'?  Where do you think they might have 'gone to school'?  Or, perhaps, taught classes?

Enron was a completely different situation.  I'm unsure of what the comparison would be to the current subject at hand other than they were committing fraud.  Thieves are everywhere and in all walks of life.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I guess those policing 'bots are still at the academy.

I thought they got them from the movie 'Police Academy' .....

Nope, the 'bots didn't even make the movie. 

How would / could / should an Ebay bot catch this guy?  

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

ebay has been data-mining for years.  ebay has considered themselves a cutting-edge tech company and a leader in 'Industry Standard' 'bots, as well as AI for probably nearly as many years.  Back in the 50's, or before, IBM was keypunching cards, pinning collators and sorters to get answers, make associations and find connections.  There is no reason, short of effort and willingness, that these things - scams, fraud, etc. - have continued at the pace they have.  (there are a myriad of ways to catch such people - the courts and prisons are packed)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

ebay has been data-mining for years.  ebay has considered themselves a cutting-edge tech company and a leader in 'Industry Standard' 'bots, as well as AI for probably nearly as many years.  Back in the 50's, or before, IBM was keypunching cards, pinning collators and sorters to get answers, make associations and find connections.  There is no reason, short of effort and willingness, that these things - scams, fraud, etc. - have continued at the pace they have.  (there are a myriad of ways to catch such people - the courts and prisons are packed)

@gracieallen01 

I understand that and I agree with you.  But that doesn't answer my question.  How would / could / should an Ebay bot catch this guy?  

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@gracieallen01 

I understand that and I agree with you.  But that doesn't answer my question.  How would / could / should an Ebay bot catch this guy?  

Ah, come on now.  ebay doesn't pay me and I learned a very long time ago - never volunteer!  Let ebay pay for something for a change.  They want their catalogue from free help by sellers, they want their CS augmented with free help from mentors and the forums, any enhancements to the platform are frequently at a 'reasonable' charge (stores, listings, postage) and useful ones that aren't charged for are tossed (TurboLister).  Let ebay pay for it.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 35 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@gracieallen01 

Ah, come on now.  ebay doesn't pay me and I learned a very long time ago - never volunteer!  Let ebay pay for something for a change.  They want their catalogue from free help by sellers, they want their CS augmented with free help from mentors and the forums, any enhancements to the platform are frequently at a 'reasonable' charge (stores, listings, postage) and useful ones that aren't charged for are tossed (TurboLister).  Let ebay pay for it.

Yes many of us, me included often throw out things saying Ebay should do this or that without know how they could accomplish such a thing.  Our expectations are high at times.  Sometimes unfairly so.  Other time, understandable.

As for TL, I LOVE TL.  I'm in there using it today, preparing some listings.  But unfortunately TL is an extremely old program and technology has moved along and left it in its dust.  Believe me, I don't like that any better than you do, so I understand completely how you feel about this.  Hopefully the SixBits / Turbolister version will be a good replacement, I haven't yet looked at it.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

As for TL, I LOVE TL.  I'm in there using it today, preparing some listings.  But unfortunately TL is an extremely old program and technology has moved along and left it in its dust.  Believe me, I don't like that any better than you do, so I understand completely how you feel about this.  Hopefully the SixBits / Turbolister version will be a good replacement, I haven't yet looked at it.

And, the reason it is outdated is because nobody bothered to keep it up-to-date.  So, again, something ebay didn't want to pay for, one way or another, for one reason or another.  I frequently use programs that are more than a couple of decades old, and they work just fine because they have had proper updates for the current tech.

If you ever used, and were happy with, SAPro, then you should be happy with SixBits - well, if John kept the quality up.

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Add to that the now defunct "want it now" section which could have been a real boon had ebay given it a modicum of the moderation attention they give to the boards.
Message 38 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

And, the reason it is outdated is because nobody bothered to keep it up-to-date.  So, again, something ebay didn't want to pay for, one way or another, for one reason or another.  I frequently use programs that are more than a couple of decades old, and they work just fine because they have had proper updates for the current tech.

If you ever used, and were happy with, SAPro, then you should be happy with SixBits - well, if John kept the quality up.

That is an over simplification and likely not true.  Some programs have to be completely replaced, updates aren't enough.  

I don't know what SAPro is.  

I have no idea if I'll like the Sixbit / Turbolister program or not.  Like I said, I haven't tried it yet.  Time will tell.

And like I said, I love TL and am extremely sad to see it go.  But to try and fight the demise of this program will only serve to make me unprepared when the program gets closed.  And that doesn't make very good business sense to do that.  So while it pains me to do so, I'll be proactive and make the move before the end of June.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

I'm not sure anybody suggested ignoring the demise of TurboLister, or even hope that it could survive now.  As far as updating any program it seldom, if ever, works to do it in one swell foop - logically, it is done as needed, as time and state-of-the-art progress.  Ignore it long enough and, yes, it will be, in all likelihood, useless.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I'm not sure anybody suggested ignoring the demise of TurboLister, or even hope that it could survive now.  As far as updating any program it seldom, if ever, works to do it in one swell foop - logically, it is done as needed, as time and state-of-the-art progress.  Ignore it long enough and, yes, it will be, in all likelihood, useless.

IDK.  I can speak to my experience with TL.  I received updates to the program off an on over the years.  IMHO they would have to do that or it would be able to continue to communicate with the active site as programs here change.  

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

It's a small among of money considering the greed of white collar crime and, I doubt it will be reported by the mainstream media, but nevertheless it baffles me why eBay didn't recognize "let's say" red flags, and such makes me think eBay doesn't really care, just like they do not give a rats behind about fraudulent returns and "basically" tell the sellers to take their losses and move on; washing their hands of it like they had nothing to do with it, yet eBay dictates the seller's return policy, eBay screwed me in that light but never again.

And, I hope this person's indictment puts eBay under the microscope, because, "in my opinion" eBay is just as guilty.  

Message 42 of 42
latest reply