cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect shipping charge by ebay/usps help?!

I purchased an ebay shipping label (usps) after a sale and it said $5.15.  I was charged $186.  I contacted ebay and they said it was usps that needed to refund me.  Contacted usps and they said it was ebay to refund and then said they can only help if they have a revenue insurance number (aka usps adustment id).  Contacted ebay again and they said they didn't have that number but within 48 hours I'd have a refund no problem.  It's been longer than 48 hours.  Has anyone had this happen and actually gotten a refund? 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Can't you go to Orders from your Seller Hub, then Track and manage your shipments, and cancel it?

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

If you haven't shipped yet and it hasn't been more than 5 days since you purchased the label you can Void it.

Often times it's user error that caused the higher label charges like typing in the wrong weights and dimensions. Doing things in hurried  fashion and not looking over everything before clicking purchase label. It happens most sellers have experienced this at one time or another.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Go here:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/labels/seller-hub

Find the label, and click Actions, then Cancel Label.

rosszonebricks_0-1713450067480.png

You can then buy another label, making sure you are entering the correct weight, dimensions, etc.

Worth noting, it will take 2-3 weeks before you'll receive a refund for the label.   USPS needs to make sure it was never used, THEN will refund you.   For me, it's always been just added into my eBay pending payout funds when I do finally get the refund.

Edit: This only applies if the label was never actually used.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Because it showed $5.15 I shipped the item and completed the order.  It wasn't until there was an overdraft on my checking account that I knew it happened.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother wrote:

Because it showed $5.15 I shipped the item and completed the order.  It wasn't until there was an overdraft on my checking account that I knew it happened.

Well.... if you've already used the label and sent the item, I hate to say it's unlikely you'll get a refund.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

When I submitted screenshots I double checked and the measurements and weight was correct.  The charge they said I'd pay was $5.15 but instead $186 was pulled from my account.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Was the $186 for multiple label? Like for all labels purchased at one time?

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin

rosszonebricks_0-1713451053896.png

Or go to the Order Details page for that order, and what does it show for Shipping?  Does it show $186 there?

rosszonebricks_1-1713451150138.png

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

It was a single label.  I have no idea where the amount came from since the item that sold was less than $50 too.  It was just a random fluke of a number that was charged instead of the amount listed. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Are you even sure the charge is just for a shipping label? eBay will charge to your payment option, seller fees, store fees and other fees owed, any refunds not just labels if you don't have enough funds pending or available. 

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

It was just an incorrect shipping charge for that one item.  Ebay verified it was incorrect.  I'm just trying to find out who will refund it, ebay or usps.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Go to your seller hub and look at your payment transaction report to make sure the charge was for shipping. What item was this for, where did it ship to and if the weight and dim's were correct what class of postage did you use to ship the item? 

I have only received one of these in all the years that I have been selling on eBay but I also have not used eBay to purchase shipping labels in quite some time. I have seen postings on this forum about USPS unilateral surcharges but never for one that excessive. If it is a USPS unilateral surcharge USPS should have provided eBay with some information on the justification for the charge. 

As far as contacting customer support these days unless you are going through one of the social media sites the customer support is pretty much useless. The will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone even if that means lying to you. EBay is going to do NOTHING to fight the USPS surcharge other than paying it. This is your battle to fight with USPS and yes eBay DOES have the adjustment number. 

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

I don't see any of your sold items that would come close to that shipping charge.

Do you enter the dims, weight, and select calculated shipping based on buyers' location on your listings?

Do you have your receipt from the USPS? That will show the package weight and tracking number that will match your order. With that, your other sales information you can pull and print, you should be able to argue this issue. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I have all the proof that it was an error, I just can't seem to find anyone that wants to give my money back.  I wish the adjustment number was listed in our seller hub so I could only have to deal with usps.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother wrote:

I have all the proof that it was an error, I just can't seem to find anyone that wants to give my money back.  I wish the adjustment number was listed in our seller hub so I could only have to deal with usps.

Was it a cost adjustment or was it the initial charge? Above you seemed to indicate it was the initial charge and not an adjustment?

If it was an adjustment you should have received an email from eBay with the adjustment number. You can also find cost adjustment details here: https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

Cost adjustments happen to me all the time. It's a pain in the ass, but it's easy to appeal. Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details (or you can call the number on the USPS page linked below):

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

I generally describe the problem, as well. Shipped 8 oz t-shirt in plain white polymailer with eBay logo, was up charged based on a Priority Flat Rate Envelope packaging which was not used.

Educated guess: packages sometimes get stuck together or are too close together when going through the sorting machinery so the scans are reading a different package. When you file an appeal, USPS will look at the actual photos taken during sorting and they will see the package and grant the refund.

USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, etc).

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 30
latest reply