cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Managed Payments is to be fully implemented by 2021 requiring ALL Sellers to be enrolled. Among several Items that will NOT be allowed in te Managed Payment System, are, Coins & Paper Money, Motor Vehicles, and Bullion. Obviously, if sellers can't sell them, then there won'tbe any listed to purchase.... Dahh!

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Hi, I am not sure you were reading my message because the issue is related to me not being able to move to managed payments, and eBay seller protection (for sellers not on managed payments) does not provide charge back protection of any kind.

Message 106 of 259
latest reply

Agreed, I checked this too.  The new policy does not come into effect until July 31st.  Either they will work out some special deal with paypal because they are so big or they will no longer accept paypal for gold.  

Message 107 of 259
latest reply

Yes, that is not a bad idea, but its only a very small subset of what I sell that would qualify for MP in my scenario.

This would mean I would have an account for selling silver and platinum jewelry, since gold will no longer be protected, and coins and bullion would be out of scope. Only about 5-10% of my business in my scenario, but may be a good option for other people.

For me, I would just like some direction in the long haul so I can plan for the future. eBay has become a significant revenue stream for my business, like so many other businesses. I get the feeling others are using etsy, but personally I cannot stand them and I have had very little success with it.

Some kind of statement, either YES or NO on MP / Coins and Bullion with a time line. How do we get an answer to this? The moderator suggests calling eBay, but I don't believe they even have an answer yet. The curve ball with paypal making gold transactions outside of the scope of seller protection has added fuel to the fire.
Message 108 of 259
latest reply

You are correct.  They do not have an answer or fix for this yet.  As I understand it they are working on it.  But honestly I don't think this is getting fixed anytime soon.  I think it will be well into next year before you see that.

I'm not sure what the exact problem with this is, but I suspect that it is on the legal rules that apply to money processors, not just an Ebay rule or limitation.  The new changes in PP gives us evidence of that.

I can only imagine how tough this is on you.  I do sincerely hope this gets worked out quickly for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 109 of 259
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

feel free to contact Customer Service to speak with our managed payments team and discuss any questions or concerns you may have.

If they can answer that question why can't you ask them and come back here to the forum and kill a bunch of birds with one stone?

Hi @monster-deals, while the Community Team wouldn't be able to provide any information about managed payments that is not already available publicly, you can refer to my previous response for resources that address concerns that sellers of coins, motor vehicles, bullion, etc. have expressed.

So is that can't or won't?

Message 110 of 259
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

feel free to contact Customer Service to speak with our managed payments team and discuss any questions or concerns you may have.

If they can answer that question why can't you ask them and come back here to the forum and kill a bunch of birds with one stone?

Hi @monster-deals, while the Community Team wouldn't be able to provide any information about managed payments that is not already available publicly, you can refer to my previous response for resources that address concerns that sellers of coins, motor vehicles, bullion, etc. have expressed.

They can't.  The MP team has asked them not to and leave the answering of questions to the MP team.  Likely because it has been very fluid over the past couple of years with all the changes that have happened.

But I agree, the answers should be far more accessible than they are.

On this specific subject of the thread, I think it is highly likely that the issues about these specific categories goes far deeper than a processing issue within Ebay in the light of the recent changes PP has made regarding much of this.  It is likely these are newer legal requirements of money processors.

IMHO we will be well into next year before Ebay figures out what can be done and still stay in compliance.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 111 of 259
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@monster-deals wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @monster-deals, the Community Team works closely with teams across eBay to get clarification for our members whenever possible, pass along suggested improvements, and ensure that the questions being asked by everyone here are heard by those what could provide answers. There are times where we are not able to provide more information, which often the case with managed payments topics. Members of this team have provided clarification on some issues, and some have engage here within the Community on certain topics. This is not always possible, especially as we approach the wider expansion of this program. 

Providing information here for topics like this carries the risk of giving general information when specific answers are needed for most sellers, and also may lead to problems in the future if anything changes but the answers posted here remain publicly visible. This is why we ask that you contact Customer Service, or review site resources when these would address your questions.

In short, you've asked if we can ask a member of this team to come to the boards and answer questions publicly; we've asked for this, sometimes it has happened, sometimes we are instead provided with answers that we can share, and sometimes we are not able to address these questions here on the boards.

Message 112 of 259
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

Interesting but yet Apmex is selling gold and silver bullion on Amazon still.

I believe sellers can be preapproved by Amazon, but highly unlikely the little guy will be approved.

Amazon is very controlling and restrictive in many areas due to protection and issues with counterfeits and who is responsible.

Message 113 of 259
latest reply

I agree, not that I would ever want to sell on Amazon even if I could. I know several big players that have been selling there. They tell me some of their continual nightmares.

Message 114 of 259
latest reply

I do  500k per year  too.  Where are you selling now and how is it going?

Message 115 of 259
latest reply

Ebay is anti-American not even run by Americans. Their commerce is not free market. Buying limits????? Weirdos. 

Message 116 of 259
latest reply

These people are not American. 

Message 117 of 259
latest reply

This is not acceptable.  You need to provide some guidance to coin sellers on how payments will be processed moving forward.  Can we continue to accept PayPal, if the management payment system is not compatible with coin sales or at least until you get it figured out?  eBay is asking me to register for managed payments but am hesitant to do so since I only sell coins.  Also, I'm afraid eBay will automatically change me over to the managed payment system while coins are prohibited in this system which would put me in a bad position.        

Message 118 of 259
latest reply

It looks to me like they allow coins and currency. Their restricted lists shows restrictions within that category, it doesn't mean that the whole category is not allowed.

Message 119 of 259
latest reply

what is the platform that you moved to?

Message 120 of 259
latest reply