cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imagine a land where ebay runs TV ads with vintage stuff....

Imagine a land where ebay runs a TV ad. And not a TV ad about one of ebay's "Verticals". No, an ad centered on finding parts to repair a vintage camera. That's right. Vintage stuff. And imagine the ad is designed to remind people that ebay still exists...an honest acknowledgment that ebay has been falling behind.

Imagine such a place.

Such a place is.......France.

Yeah, I was hoping it was the US, but......of course not.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/ebay-nostalgic-french-comeback-ad/

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Why can't eBay do more advertising like this in the U.S.? eBay was established in the U.S. correct?

Even if it is a late night add (lower fee). Better than viewing that junk like cookware, sweepers, attorney adds for corporate lawsuits which work out to attorney fee of 80 to 90% and the victims get pennies. 

The saturation of gambling sites advertising is also ridiculous! I always turn the channel when one pops up. I was a little P.O. when the Manning family got involved last year and I think they heard about it. They now play an ad for safe betting and to know your limits. 

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

Most certainly!

🎯

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

Until they fix their search engine so buyers can find what they are looking for, I don't think running ads is going to make any difference.

I did a search the other day and a few listings popped up and a whole page of sponsored ads and not a one of them had anything to do with what I was searching for.

Went to Google and did the same search and found the item on Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Even better, imagine a site called "EBay Vintage" where only vintage is sold!  And not the crap from China with the "vintage look".

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

When did you last watch broadcast TV?

Even my favourites (Sort Of, Resident Alien, Young Sheldon, The Rookie, This Hour Has 22 Minutes) I watch On Demand or streamed.

Message 20 of 64
latest reply

I've heard the eBay Motors commercial only once, but that may be because I don't tend to listen to more 'traditional' fare, and I don't watch TV at all (we don't get reception here, anyway).  I see nothing online or any streaming that I do.  But the commercial I heard was good - concise, with emphasis on restoration and repairing.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 64
latest reply

@femmefan1946   I use two different antennas and get 4K picture for free covering two major cities. No more paying for channels for me. Lots of ebay ads, mostly for Ebay motors though.

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

So eBay is advertising on FaceBook (my own observation), on podcasts,  and two reports of eBay Motors ads on TV.

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

The UK is also running ads (I should point out, these videos do not just show up on TV, they also show up on many locations on the Interwebs). Here's an article about the current campaign (Note: for some reason, I'm getting a lot of stutter with the videos on this website, but I imagine they'll be available---or are available---elsewhere as well.) Just thought some might be interested to see what ebay is doing elsewhere:

https://marcommnews.com/ebay-uk-launches-new-brand-platform-with-thats-the-ebay-way/

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

On a technical note, something the cinematographer or producer could have researched:

The teen would search for replacement parts for the camera and soon learn that a fully functional Nikon FE (The first Nikon that I bought new in about 1982) sells for $40-80 today (in the real world). The shutter and electronic components -- the parts most likely to fail -- are unavailable and not worth replacing. The late-model manual focus Nikon AI-S lens that she was supposedly disassembling is unlikely to have any issues, unless it was dropped on concrete.

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

"When did you last watch broadcast TV?"

I live out in the boonies...we have an antenna.

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Advertising is Key to any successful business.

TV time is a must!

Marketing@ebay

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

I also sell at antique shows/flea markets.  I get a lot of "young hipsters" as I call them.  They like vintage items and ask questions.  They have an appreciation for the past.  They also like to repurpose and want to save the planet.   That commercial would do well here.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 28 of 64
latest reply

@genv "eBay is missing a key demographic. Not every 20-45 year old wants sneakers. They are buying retro, vintage, antique curiosities..."

Agreed! CASE IN POINT:

My 27 year old daughter (in Chicago) and her 4 roomies ALL LOVE VINTAGE! They frequent antique & second hand stores and recently drove over an hour into Wisconsin because they'd heard about a neat shop there. Their large apartment is full of vintage barware, vases, glassware, knick-knacks, as well as Mid Century Modern furniture. They frequently don vintage clothing when they're out and about town.

Many of their friends there are also into vintage in addition to lots of college friends scattered around the U.S. Even my 15 year old niece, who hails from a wealthy Chicago family, prefers vintage clothing over the Designer pieces she could readily have and often accompanies my daughter on the hunts.

I recently read that adults in this age demographic keep sparsely decorated abodes and much prefer contemporary verses vintage, but I'm not sure I agree. I see many young adults at vintage shops and estate sales, and have sold a pile of vintage and antique jewelry, etc to that age group over the years.

VIVA LA VINTAGE!!!

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

$$$ to be made on eBAy past, present and Future.

Collectable TV Ads Now Please!

Message 30 of 64
latest reply