cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imagine a land where ebay runs TV ads with vintage stuff....

Imagine a land where ebay runs a TV ad. And not a TV ad about one of ebay's "Verticals". No, an ad centered on finding parts to repair a vintage camera. That's right. Vintage stuff. And imagine the ad is designed to remind people that ebay still exists...an honest acknowledgment that ebay has been falling behind.

Imagine such a place.

Such a place is.......France.

Yeah, I was hoping it was the US, but......of course not.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/ebay-nostalgic-french-comeback-ad/

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

As that would cut into eBay's profit, I imagine that land would be called Never Never Land 😊

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 64
latest reply

The ad, without the article:

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

Sure would like to see something like that here............

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Thanks for posting.  I would think that would be something that would go over great here in the US.  People go to flea markets, swap meets antique shows as many are collectors and those people still exist and in my opinion would embrace it.  Just my two cents....Nighty night all.  😪

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

eBay is missing a key demographic.

Not every 20-45 year old wants sneakers.

They are buying retro, vintage, antique curiosities...

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

Wow, that's pretty amazing.  A few weeks ago, I was seeing a bunch of eBay commercials on my podcasts, same commercial though.  Can't remember what it focused on.  

While that French commercial certainly focuses on the right things, it is VERY slow!  I had to FF through it 4x.  Maybe they have longer commercials of more tolerance in France, but that long, slow, story commercial wouldn't really fly here.   Maybe if they got it down to 30-45 seconds. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

@genv wrote:

eBay is missing a key demographic.

Not every 20-45 year old wants sneakers.

They are buying retro, vintage, antique curiosities...

This is so true and they are educating themselves on the different eras and styles and colors. I was watching groups of younger folks yesterday while stocking my booth/ store. They all had treasures in their hands!

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes  @simply-the-best-for-you @genv @ckimodog @dhbookds 

Yes, ebay KNOWS there is a very real market for this stuff AND ebay knows the coveted Gen Z buyers buy this stuff.

But , at least here in the US, ebay seems incapable of pulling itself away from its "Verticals" to promote this sort of stuff....stuff ebay was once really well known for, but today, a lot of other sites are competing in the used/vintage space, and ebay is kidding itself if it thinks it dominates the space the way it once did....and they are kidding themselves if they think they can regain their dominance without doing more to promote the site itself and its vintage/used stuff.

This French Commercial gives me a tiny hope that maybe ebay USA will realize the French have a good idea here....

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

This one (which came up after the French commercial) has faster pacing. 😁

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 64
latest reply

Plenty of Ebay ads. I see them often and hear them on the radio almost daily. Most everyone in the universe knows Ebay is a used collectables site PLUS sneakers and such. I doubt spending money showing grandmas knickknacks will bring tons of buyers.

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

In the B&M and flea mkts, the young are really interested in old stuff, they are ready to listen, learn about items, and buy what intrigues them. It's refreshing.

On another note, I do know I'll take a hit on ebay with sales. A lot of my items went to the Florida area, which, heartbreaking, is now suffering greatly, and won't be spending on non necessities. And the new USPS rate hikes on Oct 2 will further hurt my NY to Oregon, California affordability. 

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

eBay is pushing eBay Motors hard with tons of TV commercials during Nascar races & during Sunday morning car guy shows. At least on commercial at every break. Motors commercials on the radio as well, featuring the Car Talk show guy Tom whatshisname.

eBay Motors, Let's Roll!!!!

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

Cool ad, I've always associated eBay with vintage stuff and collectibles; being a collector :P.  You'd think they would throw a bone at Video Games and Action Figures or something considering how insanely hot the market is.  Then again I'm fine with people not knowing and continuing to scoop up my deals all the time lmao.

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

France holds some of the finest antiques and collectibles available and I believe the younger generation over there appreciate more so than ours.  I haven't given up hope with our young collectors though.

I think they are getting tired of the cheap put-.

together furniture,  the heavy particle board pieces and the ugly poster framed art that is available for decorating.  There has got to be more out there than some ugly wooden box that has Live, laugh and love written in script. That's where ebay comes in.

Bring back those fabulous ads of ebay where younger folks are picking up vintage linens and pottery and the line was " ebay? Yeah we got that!

Message 15 of 64
latest reply