cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If ebay keeps FVF fee when a case is opened they benefit from abuse and false claims

If ebay keeps FVF fee when a case is opened they benefit from abuse and false claims which doesnt seem very ethical.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

If ebay keeps FVF fee when a case is opened they benefit from abuse and false claims

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

If ebay keeps FVF fee when a case is opened they benefit from abuse and false claims which doesnt seem very ethical.

They only keep FVF when the seller fails to resolve the issue.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Why should ebay reward a seller who's too stubborn/ignorant of the rules/doesn't respond to cases with their fvf back?

It seems to me that not getting your fvf back and getting a defect are good reasons to take care of issues.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Why should ebay profit from a seller potentially being scammed by a bad buyer?

They cant prove the buyer was right or the seller.

Ebay isnt rewarding anyone but themselves and a potentially abusive buyer.

Whats to stop ebay employees from secretly creating buyer accounts themselves buying our items, filing an INAD, keeping the money and the item and the fee?  Making it look like we made a sale when the place is really a dead zone to keep up appearances? Nothing.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Whats to stop ebay employees from secretly creating buyer accounts themselves buying our items, filing an INAD, keeping the money and the item and the fee?  Making it look like we made a sale when the place is really a dead zone to keep up appearances? Nothing.

It's seriously time to take a break.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

I'm sorry but what you are saying is that all cases are abuse and false, and therefore unethical.  

Actually, with all due respect, this assumption is unethical.  Not every buyer is a scammer, and not every legitimate SNAD is a false SNAD.

Buyer's claims are not categorically false.  But many share your thinking.  Many fight every return, when they list as taking returns, or when an item is a legitimate SNAD, abusing buyers in hopes that intimidation will cause them to abandon the return.  What may happen is that the buyer abandons Ebay; seller won the battle but lost the war.  No sales.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

I'm sorry but what you are saying is that all cases are abuse and false, and therefore unethical.  

Actually, with all due respect, this assumption is unethical.  Not every buyer is a scammer, and not every legitimate SNAD is a false SNAD.

Buyer's claims are not categorically false.  But many share your thinking.  Many fight every return, when they list as taking returns, or when an item is a legitimate SNAD, abusing buyers in hopes that intimidation will cause them to abandon the return.  What may happen is that the buyer abandons Ebay; seller won the battle but lost the war.  No sales.

Exactly!

On my man account I recently had to return item that arrived shattered. I provided photos for the seller and accused me of everything from swapping the item out with a broken one of my own, to breaking it intentionally, to doctoring the photos.

I finally had to ask eBay to step in. eBay decided not to make me return it for whatever reason and gave me a refund.

The seller called me a liar a cheat and a scammer, put my name on a BBL group on Facebook (which I'm a member of so things got interesting), and demanded I return the shattered vase at my own expense.

Do I feel that this person should have gotten their final value fees back? Oh heck no!

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Why should ebay profit from a seller potentially being scammed by a bad buyer?

They cant prove the buyer was right or the seller.

Ebay isnt rewarding anyone but themselves and a potentially abusive buyer.

Listen, Gideon, if you put forth 1/2 as much effort in your business as you do trying to discredit eBay (which isn't working all too well, by the way), you'd be a millionaire.

You are pointing out the exceptions, not the norm. It's easy to call a company unethical when you are only commenting on corner cases and not the general outcome. It must get tiring living with such hatred and disdain.

I wish you luck on your business whenever you decide to actually leave. Peace.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Correct.

PayPal also benefits from abuse and false claims by keeping the 30 cent fixed transaction fee after a refund. 

The postal service benefits also from abuse and false claims by not refunding the postage (both ways in some cases!)

Your suppliers also benefit from abuse and false claims by keeping the profits from the item they sold you even after it is stolen.

Equipment and office supply companies also benefit from abuse and false claims by selling you ink and paper for shipping labels and envelopes and tape for packaging.

If you look at it, there is an entire economy that benefits from abuse and false claims.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@darlee-81 wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Exactly!

On my man account I recently had to return item that arrived shattered. I provided photos for the seller and accused me of everything from swapping the item out with a broken one of my own, to breaking it intentionally, to doctoring the photos.

I finally had to ask eBay to step in. eBay decided not to make me return it for whatever reason and gave me a refund.

The seller called me a liar a cheat and a scammer, put my name on a BBL group on Facebook (which I'm a member of so things got interesting), and demanded I return the shattered vase at my own expense.

Do I feel that this person should have gotten their final value fees back? Oh heck no!

So sorry that happened to you~I totally understand.  

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I've heard through various online sources that wearing a tin foil hat too tightly is hazardous to one's health and mental well-being.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

The truth is very negative but ebay does in fact benefit (by keeping the fees) whether its an abuse or not abuse case against any seller--- that gets opened. So they benefit from buyers both using and abusing the Resolution Center system.  

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

The truth is very negative but ebay does in fact benefit (by keeping the fees) whether its an abuse or not abuse case against any seller--- that gets opened. So they benefit from buyers both using and abusing the Resolution Center system.  

You are completely missing everyone's point here.  If you DON'T want eBay to benefit by keeping the fees, resolve the issue YOURSELF, don't let the return or INR time out.  Handling these issues before eBay steps in solves the problem.  If eBay steps in, then you have a bigger problem, and they keep the fee when that happens.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I've heard through various online sources that wearing a tin foil hat too tightly is hazardous to one's health and mental well-being.

I've also heard that leaving one's tinfoil hat in the closet rather than wearing it when in range of a keyboard can lead to similar problems.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Its only witheld if you the seller mess up the dispute and Ebay awards the dispute to the buyer by giving them their refund because the seller is not responding or not cooperating.

This reminds me that we are STILL waiting for you to explain if you now understand how bidding works. This is from maybe 2 or 3 threads back that you started with another complaint based on a misunderstanding of how things work. Several people tried to explain to you how bidding works but there is no sign that you are comprehending any of it.

All we ask is that you tell us what your understanding is - so we can know if anything we are trying to explain to you is reaching you. People are taking the time to explain things to you but it just doesnt seem like anything is getting through to you. Is there anyone else in your house who can help you with your Ebay work?

Message 15 of 26
latest reply